Kindle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My hubby and I are going to Punta Cana (Dominican Republic) for 15 days in late Feb/early March. It's a total beach vacation. We plan to do nothing buy lay around in lounge chairs, swim in the ocean, do a little sailing, and of course I plan to READ READ READ!!!

At first, it seemed like a no-brainer that my Kindle would come on vacation with me. But my husband has kind of intimated that it might not be such a good idea. He has suggested that sand, salt, and delicate electronics might not mix too well.

I thought I'd put it to a vote -- so, fellow Kindlers, how do you feel? Should my Kindle go to the beach or not? Are there any protective, waterproof covers available that would keep the salt and sand out? Or should I just leave my Kindle home, and lug a suitcase full of books with me?

·
Registered
261 Posts
Had mine poolside for a week in Cancun - just put it inside a ziplock bag, and it worked great. Even easier than a book, because I didn't have to hold it open, just balanced it on my knee or a towel. Just if you are bringing a laptop, don't forget to bring the USB cable so you can get stuff without wispernet.

even if you didn't feel comfortable about the sand, you'd still need it on the plane, wouldn't you?

ps loved your shoe avatar - it that something you made, or is it on Utube or something?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ooh, I always bring lots and lots of ziploc bags with me on vacation anyway, for personal items and wet clothes, etc. So maybe I'll just do that -- zip up my Kindle and keep it nice and dry and sand-free!

I definitely agree that there would be no better place for a Kindle than on a long vacation that requires lots of relaxation and reading!

And as for the avatar -- I loved that so much! But I didn't make it. It came from here:

http://i367.photobucket.com/albums/oo118/infamypack/shoethrow.gif

I have wanted to throw a shoe at that man for 8 years, and I'm glad someone finally did it! hahahahaha

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
Khabita,
There is a cover on M-edge, buymedge.com, that is just for that purpose.  Clear cover and zips around.  I believe the price is 29.99, which sounds like a great price for keeping out small particles of sand and the such.
debbie

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
I bought this specifically for the beach and for bathtub reading....

http://www.amazon.com/Kwik-Tek-Multi-Purpose-6-Inch-9-Inch/dp/B000OF3JMM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1229529364&sr=8-1

Sorry, I'm still not versed on the picture / link making. I'm sure a ziploc will work just fine, I'm just always so paranoid about that one spot you didn't seal perfectly!

drenee said:
Khabita,
There is a cover on M-edge, buymedge.com, that is just for that purpose. Clear cover and zips around. I believe the price is 29.99, which sounds like a great price for keeping out small particles of sand and the such.
debbie
I'm currently boycotting m-edge ;D

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
Jen,
thanks for the link.  And I vaguely remember your reasons for boycotting; color representations?  I just ordered from them this morning, but stayed away from the blues, reds, etc. to hopefully not have that problem. 

·
Registered
383 Posts
Took my Kindle to the beach all summer.  Started out "double bagging" it in ziploc's, then got the m-edge leisure jacket.
Actually like the liploc better.  (Got a little glare off the plastic in the m-edge).

My vote is you HAVE to take it with you, there is nothing more relaxing than reading on the beach. 
Just don't take it in the ocean swimming! :)  They don't like to get wet!

·
Registered
364 Posts
Do you really want to be with out you kindle for 15 days?  My vote is for you to take your kindle with you. Before you go to the beach put the kindle in a zip lock back or the  medge cover (the one that you put the kindle into and it zip up.)  I hope you and your family have a great vacation.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Khabita said:
My hubby and I are going to Punta Cana
Where are you staying and have you stayed there before?

My father and stepmother want to go there next year, but the place they were recommended - The Riu Palace - was mighty expensive, I looked at the Occidental which was half the price and looked very nice indeed.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I just got back from a week in Mexico -- we were on the beach pretty much every day for 5 days.  I used the m-edge leisure jacket, no problems at all.  My friend used the standard Kindle case, and hers was fine too.  Just exercise a little caution.  The Kindle is fantastic for reading outside.  Don't be surprised if some kindleoglers approach you.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I take mine to the beach...also into the pool. I use a 1-quart Ziploc and it's never gotten wet or sand or anything. (Of course, I'm a little careful with it in those situations.<G>)

Sharyn

·
Registered
127 Posts
Whenever I'm afraid of my Kindle getting wet or damaged, I just use a ziplock baggie.  It's always worked well and it's cheap!

·
Registered
776 Posts
Last month I took mine to Belize for a week and had no problems.  I used the Medge leisure jacket but had also brought one of the 9x12 dry pak bags just to be safe.  Never used the drypak.  Our house is right on the beach and I had my kindle out there every day - have a good time!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Don't bother spending the money on an M- Edge or any clear case...or double bagging the ziploc's.  Go to Staples or Office Max.  Get a clear plastic pencil case that the kids use in Elementary School.  It has a ziploc type closure, the Kindle fits in perfectly, it's thicker than a ziploc baggie, and cost $1.99!!
My Mom, Sister, and I all used them in Mexico over Thanksgiving, by the pool and beach...worked great!

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
I have the 9x12 Dry Pak. We have always used ziplock bags for our cell phones, wallets, boat papers, etc when riding the wave runners or out in the boat, but noticed this past summer that moisture was getting in some of the bags and the hubby's wallet got wet. We decided that the cost for something designed for keeping water out was worth it.
It also has a place I can clip on a small buoy to keep it afloat in case it accidentally goes overboard!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts