Kindle Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife likes to have our dog Otis lay in her lap while she reads her Kindle.  She lays her Kindle across his back and reads, using him as a book rest.  He is not exactly a conventional lap dog like a poodle though, but is an Australian Shepard mix and weighs about 35 pounds. 

She puts a pillow in her lap and he jumps up on the pillow and lays down so she can put the Kindle on his back.  I told her that I thought a dog that big shouldn't be laying in her lap, but she says that he is comforting and she like to pet him while she reads.  Of course, he eats it up.

One day Otis was lying in her lap while she was reading and suddenly spotted some people walking their large dog on the sidewalk.  When he is sitting in her lap, he can see out the window easily.  He got really excited to see another dog so sprang off her lap and bounced over to the open window and jumped right through the screen.

He landed on his feet and took off to the fence to bark at the dog. Naturally we were a little surprised!

Luckily the window screen had just popped out when he hit it so I could easily put it back.  He also didn't get hurt when he jumped. 

I suggested to my wife that she stopped letting Otis sit in her lap, but she never listens to me.  At least he goes out the doggy door now and hasn't tried the alternate window.

So do you kindle with your dog and have you got any funny stories to tell?

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I thought you were going to say that the dog kept licking your Kindle, like the dog in Amazon's TV commercial!

But seriously, that was a wonderful story. (And there's so many funny implications!) For example, last year I heard about a 5th grade class that was using Kindles that the students could use for their reading.  So those students could obviously update that traditional excuse for why they haven't done their homework.

"The dog ate my Kindle!" :)

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Me and My Kindle, when we bought our Kindles, we got the extra warranty protection since it covered the dog eating the Kindle. Frankly we weren't sure he wouldn't, but he hasn't bothered either one.

We got Otis at the pound when he was less than a year old. We have had him for about five months. At first he was bad to pick up my wife's shoes and take them outside to chew on.

Once my wife had left a new package of toilet paper in the bathroom on the floor. When we came home, Otis had chewed the package open and taken out a roll. He had taken it out through the doggy door and there was toilet paper all over the back lawn where he had batted the roll around and torn off pieces of it.

But at least he has left our Kindles alone. I doubt he can read anyway.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Nothing funny, but my dog (5 lbs. toy poodle) was around for my first Kindle.  He has this odd thing where he needs to sniff my books (library or bought) and just take a nice quick lick of the pages.  It's like this way of marking them, that they are alright...and have been screened.:)  I was just hoping he didn't pee on my Kindle or chew on my Kindle like he liked to do on CDs/DVDs.  Ruined a lot of money that way.:p  Once it arrived, I popped open the box (he sniffed at it)...and then watched me plug it in.  That night he sniffed at it some more, questionable head tilt that dogs do, and then promptly sniffed with his wet nose on the screen...and then took a nice long lick.  I guess he decided it was a book after all.:)

My dog is considered a "lap dog", but I call him a "cuddle dog".  He just wants to lean on me, hold him, and basically mold his body to mine as much as he can.  He love to be hugged and held and act like a warm soft phantom grey/white curly haired blanket.:)

Dang, I miss that dog SO much!

Tris

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
My dog curls up right next to me when I read my Kindle.  She doesn't seem to show much interest in what I am reading, however.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I have a 50 pound pit bull, a 80 pound flat coated retriever and a 55 pound retriever mix who have all decided they are lap dogs.

Thankfully the chow mix could care less.  My lap is only so big.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I usually have Oscar's head rested on the top of my Kindle looking at me when I am reading in bed. He'll sit on my chest and stare at me over the Kindle. :) Eventually he'll give up and crawl under the covers.  Oscar is the shih tzu/bichon holding the tiny tennis ball in my avatar.  But for the most part, none of our three dogs or the cat bother the Kindle. Granted, I also don't leave it laying around where they could do anything to it. It mostly lays on my nightstand by the bed. (Although the cat has been known to sit on my nightstand.)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a great dane/boxer cross...and he also thinks he's a lap dog. Incredible gentle, and like a big hot water bottle when my legs are aching from FMS though, so it's all good. He gets to have a cuddle, and generally snoozes more deeply on my knee than on his bed.

And he also makes an excellent book stand for my kindle  ;D

We have been known to play a lifesize version of Buckeroo with shoes and toys on top of him, but he's so daft and soft he just lets us do it. I love my 'little' Preston.

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
I remember while sitting in a vet's waiting room in late '50s - early '60s, a bloodhound trying to climb onto its person's lap!  (Chair's were the usual small chairs.)  It didn't happen.

·
Registered
22,148 Posts
At times Intinst or I may have 3 dogs in our laps while Kindling.  A standard poodle weighing 45 pounds, a miniature dachshund weighing 15 pounds, and a 10 pound Italian Greyhound/Rat Terrier mix.  Other times, I may have a combination of two dogs and one cat, or one dog and one cat.  If the Siamese mix wants to lie in my lap, he is going to be there even if it means lying on top of a dog.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Too funny! Our beagle, Elvis, prefers to lay right up next to my husband... I, on the other hand, usuallly have 2 or 3 cats on or near me as soon as I sit down. The smallest, Blossom, will sit next to me and rub constantly on my Kindle - didn't bother me until she rubbed hard and clicked to turn the page. Spooky, the 20 lb. black behemouth cat flops on my lap... not a problem except when it's too hot, which is most of the time in Texas.

I'm so glad to hear about people and their rescue animals! It will be a great day when the animal shelters are empty!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts