Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Amazon hasn't got many knitting books for the Kindle. Anyone got any of them? I downloaded the sample of Knitting for Dummies, but it didn't show me enough to know whether or not it is any good. I'd really like something like the Knitting Answer Book http://www.amazon.com/Knitting-Answer-Book-Solutions-Question/dp/1580175996/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1230441170&sr=1-1 where I could use it as a reference when I screw up or need a refresher on abbreviations, etc.

Any Kindle Knitters on here?

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
I assume you mean Kindlers who are knitters, not people who are knitting Kindles?  LOL!

We have quite a few, from the comments I've seen....I still don't get how one can knit and read the Kindle at the same time, as some have indicated they do, but I'll take your word for it!

Anyone have any Kindle books on knitting?

Betsy

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I knit and read at the same time.  I don't need to look at my hands while I'm knitting.  You can feel the stitches  under your fingers.  I prop up my kindle and knit just like I would watch TV and knit  I've been knitting since I'm 3 years old. 

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
panjo  Its hard not knowing how experience you are with knitting to recommend a knitting book  I'd go to Michael's look at their books find one you like and see if its on the Kindle.

I personally like paper books for knitting patterns.  I like to look through them  and compare different patterns side by side.  Some of the books I have are from my mother and go back before WWII                                                                                                                             

·
Registered
49 Posts
I haven't found any knitting books per se (unless you count Maggie Sefton's knitting mystery series).  I have put some of my patterns on my kindle so I don't have extra papers with me.  I love it.  I can also make my pattern notes instead of putting them on stickies like I used to.  Those blasted stickies always get lost!

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Cool, hearing how people are using their K's in knitting...  I couldn't follow a pattern with NO distractions, let alone reading or watching TV, LOL!  It's why a quilt.  If I make a mistake, it's called a new pattern!  ;D

Betsy

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
Betsy the Quilter said:
If I make a mistake, it's called a new pattern! ;D

Betsy
I love that.
debbie

·
Registered
426 Posts
I knit but don't have any knitting books on my Kindle.  I do have pdf patterns on there though  ;D.  So that is another way to use it in your knitting.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I'm an avid knitter. I really cannot see how the Kindle would lend itself to the knitting patterns. Sometimes when I'm making a project, I am looking very closely at the garment's picture to get an idea how they did a particularly difficult stitch or pattern, or how they changed colors, etc. Also, with some patterns, they have a little "how to" graphic for a difficult stitch in that garment. The Kindle is great for many things, but this is one thing I prefer a Dead Tree Book over.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I think the only knitting books I would get on the Kindle wouldn't be pattern books, they would be more Lit-knit books that talked about the joys and hardships of knitting (don't let me get into my unraveling traumas lol).  I like looking at the pretty pictures in knitting books.  However I would probably transcribe a pattern to have on me if I am working on something a bit more complicated, though usually I just photocopy the page.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I agree that knitting books would not be optimum on the Kindle.  The screen resolution is not very high, so pictures would not convert all that well, and of course, they are only grayscale, not color.

I suppose you could type up patterns (either in .txt or Word doc and convert) to carry with you, but a piece of paper in the knitting bag is easier, and less risk to the Kindle (too easy to drop it while messing with yarn and needles).

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have converted a few patterns onto my Kindle, and I probably will only use them to reference at transition points of easy patterns, etc. What I am looking for is a reference book. Since I have my Kindle with me all the time, I would love to have a reference for how to fix mistakes, or reminders of what different abbreviations mean. There are very few knitting books available on Kindle, understandably, but they DO have both Idiots Guide and Dummies Guide. I guess I was hoping someone would have one of those on their Kindle and know what the photos look like.

Alternatively, I could find a PDF or website that had what I'm looking for and just convert that. I haven't yet found one, but I'll keep looking. I'm sure that I could at least find a list of abbreviations somewhere.

Thanks for the suggestions!

B

·
0 Posts
Panjo, I have found several websites with abbreviations. Try using a google search, many of the sites I have used in the past are pretty much in plain text (not much in the way of graphics) which could be copy/pasted to a word doc then sent to the Kindle. Or, you could try the site using the web browser using Whispernet to see how it looks.

As for other knitting books for the Kindle, I have read both of these and really loved them.

·
Registered
68 Posts
LuckyRainbow said:
As for other knitting books for the Kindle, I have read both of these and really loved them.
I loved these two books. I read the first one pre-Kindle and the second one on my Kindle. They are light and entertaining...and have actually made me want to knit. (I am going to my very first knitting class tonight as a matter of fact!)

B

·
0 Posts
Geeky Girl Karin said:
I loved these two books. I read the first one pre-Kindle and the second one on my Kindle. They are light and entertaining...and have actually made me want to knit. (I am going to my very first knitting class tonight as a matter of fact!)
Welcome to the club. Don't let the knitting take you away from your Kindle. Something so soothing about the feel of soft yarn in your hands.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
I taught myself to knit last winter. I bought a teach yourself to knit book at Michaels. I found it to be a little confusing in the beginning. I went online and did a search for knitting videos. Found some at youtube and a few other places. Looking at the diagram in the book and then backing it up by watching each stitch, got me knitting in no time.

I had planned to take a class but by the time it's start date came around I felt like I knew what I was doing. I'm a knitting fool now.:D If I'm confused about something I just do an internet search and can usually come up with a video or good diagram to explain it.

Here's a few links that I have bookmarked. These videos really helped me.
http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/learn-to-knit
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILcTB5hc0XM

Not videos but some good info.
http://knitting.about.com/od/learntoknit/u/learntoknit.htm

B

·
0 Posts
That is kind of the same way I learned to knit. I even taught myself how to do cables, and that was not easy. Now, I hardly remember how frustrating it was to do the first few times. I have pics posted in the photo gallery of my latest cable knit sweater.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I taught myself to knit back in 1974 when I quit smoking. I also just used books and followed the pictures. My first project was a very basic sweater, no cables, no frills. Now I am neurotic when I watch TV without my knitting needles in hand. And that is happening right now! I had a wee accident and hurt my left hand ten days ago and it hurts to do just about anything with that hand. It's healing but very slowly. I'll be so glad to get my knitting needles back going!

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
LuckyRainbow said:
That is kind of the same way I learned to knit. I even taught myself how to do cables, and that was not easy. Now, I hardly remember how frustrating it was to do the first few times. I have pics posted in the photo gallery of my latest cable knit sweater.
If I remember correctly, one of my very first posts on the board was about BJ's sweater. It's gorgeous. You do nice work.

I haven't attempted cables but I have made a sweater. It ended up being big enough to fit 2 of me. :D I plan to make another one sometime in '09. Hopefully this time it will fit.

I've been working on baby things lately. We are expecting 2 new babies in the family, one in late Feb and one in late May. I've been knitting hats, booties, bibs, and blankets.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts