Kindle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Kobo Plus came to Canada. HOWEVER, there is a catch.

While Kobo PLUS does not require exclusivity like Amazon, even if you submit your novel for Kobo Plus...it does not mean it is available. Basically, your novel has to be selected to be inputed into the catalogue.  This creates a very uneven playing field and of course, impacts marketing stratgies.

As a side not, I went wide about a month ago. Last time I went wide was two years ago. My experience is that not much has changed and remains difficult to get visibility on the Kobo site since it is geared towards established authors. There are ebooks selling for ridiculous prices compared to Amazon and those get the "shelf space".

BTW. When you are out of KDP Select, your Amazon titles do lose visibility in the algorithm...

Mark

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I clicked the button for Kobo Plus and a month later when checking my books are not in the list. I did a name search and my books are not listed. I am talking about the Canadian site.

When I search Kobo Plus (from a reader perspective) they use the term..."curated" list of books available.

I have emailed Kobo support and will update when I hear back. If it is indeed a "curated" list than I am not impressed because it makes it difficult for anyone to find my books and kind of defeats the whole purpose.

Mark

·
Registered
117 Posts
markpauloleksiw said:
I clicked the button for Kobo Plus and a month later when checking my books are not in the list. I did a name search and my books are not listed. I am talking about the Canadian site.

When I search Kobo Plus (from a reader perspective) they use the term..."curated" list of books available.

I have emailed Kobo support and will update when I hear back. If it is indeed a "curated" list than I am not impressed because it makes it difficult for anyone to find my books and kind of defeats the whole purpose.

Mark
It's possible that Kobo Plus are trying to distinguish themselves from KDP KU by having a curated list. That way they can maybe avoid the book-stuffing and other scandals that KDP KU suffered not long ago. Kobo knows they can't beat KDP KU on price, so maybe they are going for a more carefully pruned garden pool of books; a bit like, if you're a retail grocery you know you can't beat WalMart on price, so you position yourself as offering local organic etc so that you can veer the argument away from cheap eats. Spin being, yes we're not WalMart but maybe that's a good thing.

I hope that if you make it through, the Kobo readers will actually find it easier to discover your books than they would otherwise on KDP KU. The waiting is the hard part though, I understand your frustration.

edit: clarity. Too much coffee this morning

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Kobo behaves very much like a bricks and mortar book store. You have get on the "shelf/display" window to be noticed online.

It is extremely hard to get seen. On KU, you have to use AMS.

One of the big issues is I have built up reviews on Amazon...hardly any on Kobo. So you really are starting from scratch and you have to question is it worth the investment.

Mark

·
Registered
145 Posts
I checked mine, and it looks like my books are available in Kobo Plus, which is interesting because I've had very few sales there. However, I did do a Black Friday promotion with them last year, so maybe that helped? Have you done any promotions with them before, Mark?

·
Registered
13,329 Posts
ShawnaReads said:
I checked mine, and it looks like my books are available in Kobo Plus, which is interesting because I've had very few sales there. However, I did do a Black Friday promotion with them last year, so maybe that helped? Have you done any promotions with them before, Mark?
Kobo Plus was only available in The Netherlands and Belgium.

"Black Friday" is a US thing.

If you're going to do promo and expect a result, make sure the promo is relevant to the audience in question.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Patty Jansen said:
Kobo Plus was only available in The Netherlands and Belgium.

"Black Friday" is a US thing.

If you're going to do promo and expect a result, make sure the promo is relevant to the audience in question.
You misunderstand me. What I meant was that I've 'engaged' with Kobo before by doing one of their promos, so if they're curating Kobo Plus so that some authors/books get in but some don't, maybe they're giving some sort of priority consideration to people who've engaged with them in the past vs. ones who haven't done any kind of direct promos or whatnot through them. Just tossing the idea out there.

One thing about Kobo Plus is that it doesn't show up on the dashboard. As far as I can tell, the only way to know if you've gotten any reads is to wait for the payment statement to go through. (And if I'm wrong and there's another way, I'd love to hear it.)

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have done a promotion before. It has been almost three days and I they still have not responded to my question as to why my titles are not included.

Nowhere does it say when you click to enroll your novel in KoboPlus that there is a possibility your title may not get included.

Mark

·
Registered
145 Posts
That's odd. It almost makes me wonder if it's a glitch or some other unintended error that needs to be smoothed out as Kobo Plus in Canada goes on. I'll be curious to see if they respond to you about it.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here is the line for those in koboPlus that caught my eye .

"Choose from hundreds of thousands of titles in our specially curated subscription catalogue"

This,of course, makes me feel that not everyone is treated the same.

Mark

1 - 12 of 12 Posts