Kindle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kobo question: my books are way higher in the overall rankings, yet I haven't sold a thing. Could it be that it doesn't take much to climb the rankings ladder or does Kobo take a VERY long time to report to Smashwords?

·
Registered
5,749 Posts
I can't remember exactly how frequently Kobo reports (because I yanked mine this past summer), but if those rankings are new, you won't be seeing those sales anytime soon. It's at least a month or more before Kobo will report to Smashwords.

If you want to see your sales in almost real-time, then go through Kobo Writing Life. You get higher royalties, more control, and your own dashboard so you can see your sales without needing Smashwords.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Amanda.

You said you yanked yours last summer. Just curious, but could you tell me why (trying to avoid a time drain if it's a bad idea)? Hope my question isn't to invasive (my apology if it is).

Thanks

·
Registered
5,749 Posts
I still have books at Smashwords, but they no longer distribute to Kobo for me. I upload directly to Kobo and much prefer it.

For one, I can use an ePub instead of that Meatgrinder junk. (I know they allow ePub upload now, but they didn't then.)

But more importantly, I have more control. I can change my prices without needing to wait for the backlog and for Smashwords to ship them and then for Kobo to make the change. I just do it myself and it's nearly instant, which is a great help if I want to run a short-term sale. Also, I get 70% royalties instead of roughly 60% through Smashwords. (And that's not an inconsiderable difference.)

·
Registered
5,897 Posts
I can  only agree with the previous posters.

While I was waiting for SW to make uploading in epub possible, Kobo started with WritingLife. Uploading is easy and straightforward, and sales are updated regularly, comparable to Amazon. They tell you in which countries you sold books and even give you an estimate of your royalties.

·
Registered
356 Posts
It makes sense to go direct to Kobo. [And it makes sense for Kobo to not send regular updates to Smashwords, in order to drive authors to its direct platform.]

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
ChristopherDavidPetersen said:
Kobo question: my books are way higher in the overall rankings, yet I haven't sold a thing. Could it be that it doesn't take much to climb the rankings ladder or does Kobo take a VERY long time to report to Smashwords?
I go directly through KWL and still haven't sold a thing at Kobo. :-[

·
Registered
159 Posts
I'll be pulling out of KDP Select in a few days, so I'm interested in going directly to Kobo, especially since Kobo is used by Canadian libraries, which might want to carry me as a Canadian author. (I know this would also be the case via Smashwords, but the Smashwords-retailer relationship seems a little muddy.) Can't say I know how royalties work with Canadian indie ebooks and libraries.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts