Kindle Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm really thinking about removing my books from them. I've been having errors all week while uploading files despite the fact that the same files work perfectly on other sites. Am I the only one going through this?

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Kobo's rankings bear no resemblance to reality. They are pointless.

I find I can only rarely get my epub to go through on Kobo, but the Mobi will upload just fine. I simply download it and check the conversion before going final on it.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Kobo assigns ranks to books even when they've sold zero copies (all books with zero sales will be tied at the same rank). They also calculate ranks for every different region your book is in. So if you've sold 0 copies in the US, and check Kobo ranks from the US, your ranks will look terrible no matter how many copies you've sold in Canada, New Zealand, Portugal, etc.

·
Registered
11,307 Posts
Edward W. Robertson said:
Kobo assigns ranks to books even when they've sold zero copies (all books with zero sales will be tied at the same rank). They also calculate ranks for every different region your book is in. So if you've sold 0 copies in the US, and check Kobo ranks from the US, your ranks will look terrible no matter how many copies you've sold in Canada, New Zealand, Portugal, etc.
This. You are 2 and 6 where in what?

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Of all the outlets, I've had the fewest issues with KOBO. Compared to Amazon or Apple, they publish faster, pay more reliability and format the best (Word conversion). B&N is so screwed up I won't even comment.

I've never paid any attention to the rankings, but my sales grow every month and the tie-in with Goodread's reviews is a nice touch.

·
Registered
84 Posts
@texasgirl—I just uploaded five new books to Kobo (a first time user for Kobo) on Saturday night. My books are still being processed. Do you recommend I reformat to Mobi like you suggested? I'm so happy you suggested that!

I also decided to upload to Kobo because I read that you can list a book price for $0.00 and it's one of the best ways to get Amazon or B&N to price match to free. I've been waiting for over a month and a half for price match ing free for two of my books I'm setting perm-free. (went free through smashwords and all romance). So, hoping Kobo will do the trick! <3

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Edward W. Robertson said:
Thanks Edward! That makes me feel a lot better. :) Now if I can only fix this uploading problem. I really want to like Kobo, I really do... (sigh)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Joe_Nobody said:
Of all the outlets, I've had the fewest issues with KOBO. Compared to Amazon or Apple, they publish faster, pay more reliability and format the best (Word conversion). B&N is so screwed up I won't even comment.

I've never paid any attention to the rankings, but my sales grow every month and the tie-in with Goodread's reviews is a nice touch.
Hopefully your luck will rub off on me and not vice versa. :) So far Amazon has been the best. My only issue with B&N is their keyword feature. It doesn't seem to work.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I have a real soft spot for Kobo, it takes a while for the book to be published and show up on their site (first one was 12, last one was about 36) but their reporting is awesome. I love seeing where the books have sold and this month I've made as many sales there as on Amazon, particularly in Canada.  Changes go through quite quickly too.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
I never have problems with my Kobo files. It took a while to figure out a system that was pretty much failsafe for Epubs, but between using InDesign to prep the files, and then using Sigil to finalize the table of contents and metadata, the files always work fine now. I noticed that recent upgrades to Sigil have really seemed to help, at least in my experience.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
I love Kobo and I just upload word docs. No problems at all.

·
Registered
841 Posts
The only problems I've had with Kobo (except for their opening week when they had a couple glitches that delayed publication for a while) have been self-inflicted.  Usually because I screwed up the formatting of a metadata field or something.

I like Kobo a lot.  In my meager sales history, they are #2 behind Amazon.  :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Greg Banks said:
I never have problems with my Kobo files. It took a while to figure out a system that was pretty much failsafe for Epubs, but between using InDesign to prep the files, and then using Sigil to finalize the table of contents and metadata, the files always work fine now. I noticed that recent upgrades to Sigil have really seemed to help, at least in my experience.
Thanks. I just grabbed it today so let's see how it goes.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I haven't had any bad experiences with Kobo whatsoever. They're a pleasure to work with.

My first book published on there took nearly three weeks to go live!!!

I wasn't happy about that, but all the subsequent books went up fast so I think it's just a first time thing.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts