Kindle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the process of loading a new title, I now see that Kobo pays 45% for any title below 3.20 US.  For example, if you load a title at 2.99 US dollars and let it auto-price for the UK, you get only a 45% royalty instead of 70%.  

For Japan, the 45% percent royalties start at 3.03 US dollars.  

Kobo is obviously trying to push book prices up.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
I think this is just because of conversion rate fluctuations. I override the suggested converted prices for my $2.99 books for UK and Japan by a few pennies to get the 70% rates:

Current conversion of $US 2.99 is:
1.86 GBP, but the 70% rate kicks in at 1.99 GBP
294 JPY, but you need to set it to 299 JPY to get 70%.

·
Registered
663 Posts
For those who haven't seen this post and didn't realize the royalty differences with the UK and Japan (that would be me - lol), I'm reposting this as a reminder.

Kobo in the UK and Japan have higher pricing limits in order to achieve the 70 percent royalty rate.

UK: 1.99
Japan: 299

I'm not sure when these royalty thresholds went into effect, but Kobo just started applying them to my books yesterday. Prior to that, even though they should have been paying me at 45%, they were actually paying me at the 70% royalty rate (on my $2.99 books). I guess someone there finally took notice.  ;D

·
Registered
931 Posts
Thanks, I think I missed this the first time around.  Just another reason why the WC is such a benefit to authors.

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
Where you can always set your own price for different currencies so that those of us not paying in USD do not see a book we like but want to wait and come back the next day and find it substantially dearer because of currency fluctuations. It also make it look like you care about your international customers if you price appears as 5.99 rather than 6.43 (although tax inclusive prices will makes things look odd in the EU anyway).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts