Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unfortunately I haven't been on the boards lately.  I was laid off about 2+ weeks ago and now I spend my days chasing 3 kids while my wife picks up hours at the hospital.  Very depressing....
I've been in sales (advertising/online/marketing) for the past 10 yrs so if anyone knows anyone that's hiring... ;)

I thought I'd have a ton of time to write, now I'm so tired after the kids all day, I go to bed early.
I think I may hafta try the early morning thing again.

Anyway, hope book sales are doing well for everyone!

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
Sorry to hear it, man. I've been hanging on by a string, but this economy blows. Never seen anything like it. I fear getting the slip at any minute. Our business is off 60% from 2006 levels. This is insane.

·
Registered
586 Posts
cblewgolf said:
Unfortunately I haven't been on the boards lately. I was laid off about 2+ weeks ago and now I spend my days chasing 3 kids while my wife picks up hours at the hospital. Very depressing....
I've been in sales (advertising/online/marketing) for the past 10 yrs so if anyone knows anyone that's hiring... ;)

I thought I'd have a ton of time to write, now I'm so tired after the kids all day, I go to bed early.
I think I may hafta try the early morning thing again.

Anyway, hope book sales are doing well for everyone!
I'm in a similar position to you. I lost my job after 21 years due to bankruptcy. It really makes you feel like you've been kicked in the teeth. But I should get a fat cheque in a couple of months. So I have finally bit the bullet and put three short stories out in between checking the jobcentre website every hour or so. Life's so full of boundless opportunities.

·
Registered
586 Posts
vrabinec said:
Sorry to hear it, man. I've been hanging on by a string, but this economy blows. Never seen anything like it. I fear getting the slip at any minute. Our business is off 60% from 2006 levels. This is insane.
Just as bad here too:) I used to be a bus driver who wrote, now I am a writer hoping to drive a bus some time soon again:-( Friday the 13th was the killer day for me.

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
greenpen said:
Just as bad here too:) I used to be a bus driver who wrote, now I am a writer hoping to drive a bus some time soon again:-( Friday the 13th was the killer day for me.
Damn. It's amazing how many people out there are hurting. I wonder what everyone's book sales would look like if this was a booming economy.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
I hear you guys.  This happened to me about a month ago, and a few times last year as well.  I've multiplied myself by three, don't take much time to sleep, and I'm think I can make it work until things get better.  I felt sorry for myself for a little while, but that's not who I am.  I'm making the best of it and you will too.  Tomorrow is our 23rd wedding anniversary and while it might be low budget, it'll be as cool as ever...

·
Registered
516 Posts
I was laid off 18 months ago. The stress of no money really eats into your writing. I'd rather be working and writing any day. It's not so much fun having all these hours and constantly worried about bills. I'd need to have another income to stay home and write.

·
Registered
164 Posts
CB, I'mma let you in on a secret. It's called Benadryl. Every day, not so good. Once in a while? Makes nap-time last. Well, unless you've got one of those kids that turns into a cracked-out psycho on it.

Important note--also good for keeping kids from being killed on airplanes. ;D

·
Registered
583 Posts
Try being a writer for Demand Media Studios:

www.demandstudios.com

Good money, work from home. Great for having kids to watch. No minimum article count. I've been working for them for a year and a half. It's a great company.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the support.  I know I'm not the only one in this predicament.
It's funny, 2-3 years ago, I could pick and choose where I wanted to work and make a pretty good living.
Now, I have too much experience and there's not enough work.

Back to work on novel # 2....

·
Registered
547 Posts
A lot of people wouldn't "get" that and would figure you just didn't want it bad enough, but I understand!! Sometimes you do need to give yourself permission to concentrate on the kids temporarily instead of feeling tired and guilty that you aren't a superman or superwoman. Then you can come back at it refreshed!

839 Posts
Bummer. Hope something turns up soon.
I'm a sub teacher and have been taking almost every job that comes along to stockpile money for the summer when there's no work and hold me into the fall. So no time for me to write either until school is out. Then I'll have time, but no extra cash to reward myself for small successes.

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
I've been unemployed since the end of last year, since I moved to Sweden. I don't speak the language, and I have failed to get work of any kind. This is the first time in my life that I have been unable to get a job. I've traveled a lot and been able to get work in the past anywhere I went. Even in places like Germany and Peru, where I didn't speak the language. It's weird, I don't know what it is here, the economy is in pretty good shape, or so they say.

However, yesterday I may have caught my first break. I might have a job. Will find out in a few days. Less time for writing, but after nine months without a paycheck (or welfare), I can't worry about that.

I know there are billions more people in far, far worse situations, but it does get a little hairy when you can't see where the next paycheck is coming from. On the plus side, I have wrote a ton in the last two months, and had time to learn a lot about self-publishing.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Sorry to hear that, Chris.

I can't believe I was feeling bummed out for not getting a promotion last week (at least I have a job). It's the like the old proverb "I cried because I had no shoes, then I met a man who had no feet."

Wishing you great success in your writing and your job hunting.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
For the Op and others it is very tough in the job world and I've seen more and more people I know taking a hard hit from this economy over the last few years.  Never have I seen anything like it here in America.  There are some people who lost nearly everything and it is sad indeed.  This should not be happening but it is.  I have a friend who lost his job and it took him more than a year to finally find one and at much less pay.  Hang in there.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.