Kindle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you put language warnings in your book description? My chicklit novel doesn't have any graphic sex or violence or anything like that, but a few of the characters do have rather dirty mouths. I just did a quick search through my document and I found 17 eff words in a 61,000 word novel. Do you think that warrants a language warning? How would you handle it?

·
Registered
123 Posts
I don't put language warnings in my book descriptions. I think you're okay, especially since you're saying there isn't anything really graphic. In the grand scheme of things, 17 words out of 61,000 word novel is a drop in the bucket if you ask me.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
No.

Been there, made that mistake, put a load of potential readers off a book that was really very moderate in language.

Only if you write for children you might want to indicate that this book is aimed at an adult rather than junior readership. Otherwise say nothing.

·
Registered
925 Posts
So long as your target audience is the 18+ crowd, I don't think there's any reason to put in a warning.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Rachel Schurig said:
Do you put language warnings in your book description? My chicklit novel doesn't have any graphic sex or violence or anything like that, but a few of the characters do have rather dirty mouths. I just did a quick search through my document and I found 17 eff words in a 61,000 word novel. Do you think that warrants a language warning? How would you handle it?
No, but my book description probably gives potential readers an idea of the tone and content. :p

1 - 6 of 6 Posts