Kindle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had a wonderful weekend. I flew from Fort Lauderdale to Dallas on Friday night and met up with my best friend Cathy and drove with her to Houston on Saturday. We have been together since the age of 13, . We had to drive 5 hours in the worst rain and laughed all the way. Decided to meet up with 2 other friends from our Jr High days and ended up in Kemah at one of the restaurants on the water. The sky opened up, lightening hit a transformer and put on quite a light show out the window. The water started rising and we were stuck there for 3 hours and laughed and laughed telling stories of the past.

This all started with a birthday invitation for a 60th birthday party for another good friend from High School. She hasn't had an easy time in life, but has always had a wonderful outlook on life. She was married at 17 and had her first son at 18 and another 2 years later. Her husband was only 19 and they were divorced when both boys were very young. She has a wonderful relationship with him and they have raised two wonderful sons. Not only did he come to the party, he was also the entertainment. He plays the guitar and sings country music. Both boys are also very talented and they played as well.

She married a second time and her husband was killed in a car accident. She is married now to a wonderful man that loves her so much. She was just so happy and so excited that Cathy and I came. I am so glad that I went and hope that we will be able to see one another again soon.

·
Registered
9,932 Posts
All friends are good....  but old friends are special.  Glad you had such a great weekend!   

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Like the saying says: make new friends, but keep the old, for one is silver, but the other is gold."

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
MichelleR said:
Like the saying says: make new friends, but keep the old, for one is silver, but the other is gold."
I love this saying. It is so true. :)

Susan in VA said:
All friends are good.... but old friends are special. Glad you had such a great weekend!
You are so right. :)

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
It is heartwarming to learn of people who have been friends for such a long time.  The amazing thing about good friends is this:  you may not see them for years, but when you are together and talk it is like there has not been a passage of time.  I am glad life is turning out well for your friend.  Thank you for sharing your story.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
My dad likes to say that you can make new friends, but you can't make old friends, so cherish the ones you have. There are two girls that I grew up with, we have been friends since birth. They are even living together back home. I got married and moved away, but I go back and visit them every chance I get. Your story has made me want to go home again!

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I moved to Canada and haven't seen 2 of my friends for 11 years now but we still stay in touch through phone, social networking, and such. Hopefully I may be able to see them end of this summer.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
What a wonderful story!  Sounds like you had alot of fun together and that's so important in life.  I have 3 friends from grade school that I get together with 5-6 times a yr, just for an afternoon lunch but it's something that I always look forward to.  One of those 3 friends is my best friend-we've been close for 43 yrs and have seen each other through ever imaginable life milestone. 

1 - 10 of 10 Posts