Kindle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, new k2 arrives tomorrow, with an m edge case. I have some PG Wodehouse lined up to download. Any other ideas for quality funny stuff?
And can it really be that Catch-22 isn't available??

This looks like it's gonna be fun...

·
Registered
70 Posts
You will love your Kindle! Since you are a Wodehouse fan, as am I, I thought I should give you a heads-up about a book I got from Amazon recently. This is the email I sent just them:

The Uncollected Wodehouse is so badly formatted that it is unreadable. There is hardly a single sentence without at least one error; far too many to list. It appears that the text was OCR-scanned and never examined by an editor after that, or even by any human eye at all. I have overlooked a lot of bad formatting in many other books, but this one is impossible to overlook, impossible to read, and I am too big of a Wodehouse fan to let it go.

So if you haven't ordered this one, wait a while. I'm hoping it might be fixed in the future, but for now, it's better to give this one a miss. (As you can probably tell, I was a little upset about it.) I read a lot, so I think I can say pretty confidently that formatting this ghastly is rare.

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
Wodehouse is next on my reading list, really hoping it's not badly formatted like the one you've pointed out!  Welcome to the boards and to your Kindle!  I'm betting you'll fall in love with it pretty quickly.  As far as other fun stuff I'd recommend Terry Pratchett and Jasper Fforde.  I haven't read it yet, but "Three Men in a Boat (To Say Nothing of the Dog)" by Jerome K. Jerome is apparently something other Wodehouse fans really enjoy.  I think I had to go to Project Gutenberg for that one when I downloaded it.

·
Super Moderator
67,287 Posts
Welcome wildgift. . . .there are a number of authors who aren't yet available on Kindle. . . .but more are coming around all the time.  It generally has to do with the fact that there was no such thing as 'digital rights' when they wrote so it's a matter of figuring out who gets to decide.  There are also some more contemporary authors who aren't on the e-book bandwagon yet and don't want their stuff digitized.  But they'll come around eventually! 

Check out the booklovers links in the Book Corner for sources for books as well as the various threads there and in the Bazaar.  There are member recommendations, bargain and free 'found' books, and many threads by our member-authors who generally offer their books here at great prices. . . good way to discover something you mightn't have read before.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Congrats on your soon arriving K2:) You will love it!!

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Just some advice.
Test it out fully before applying any type of skin.  TAKE IT OUT IN THE SUN.  Try downloading, try searching, and anything else you can think of...before putting the skin on.  This way you won't have wasted a good skin if it should need to go back for a replacement.

I WOULD:  Use it for a full two weeks before applying any type of skin. Still well within the 30 day return guidelines and sufficient time to see if any problems crop up.

ENJOY!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts