I just received my replacement K3 device and it says on the settings page

Version: Kindle 3.2.1

Is this a new software update?

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
RamTheHammer said:
I have the K3 WiFi and it has 3.1 on it. I checked the website and it has 3.1 as the latest release.
I, too, checked the website and it said the most recent update for K3 3G/WiFi was 3.1, yet my replacement K3 that arrived today to replace the wonky one I received as a replacement on 6/6 has 3.2.1 as the software version. It is not a special offers Kindle.

·
5,974 Posts
I believe that 3.2.1 was originally designed for the special offers Kindle but it's started to show up on replacement Kindles too. I think the only difference in it was supposed to be that it was harder to jailbreak - to stop people replacing the ads with their own sleep pics, since the ads were the reason they were being sold cheaper - and there were no other differences. Amazon probably won't bother to put it on general release. (Especially as it has been jailbroken anyway).

·
Super Moderator
67,442 Posts
My guess is that the 3.2.x update allows for ads and SO's. . . . .and since it's appearing even on non-SO Kindles that might mean that, at some point, there will be some sort of promotion to allow folks without SO Kindles to also have access to the Offers.

Haven't thought about it enough to work out whether that's really possible or if/how it could be implemented. . . . .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts