Kindle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you think it's better to launch a sequel at .99 cents, to get the largest number of sales, or are you better off launching it at $4.99, to get more in royalties, assuming that the people most likely to buy a sequel are the ones who are already fans of your first book?

I understand if you're wide, the .99 cent strategy may help you get onto the USA Today and NYT bestseller list. But what if you're in Amazon Select?

I'm thinking, in Select, the higher price point would be better, because you're not going to qualify for the other bestseller lists, no matter what how many copies you sell.

On the other hand, the added visibility from a .99 cent launch promo may push your subsequent sales up more, and give die-hard fans a break on the price if they order early.

What's been your experience?

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Assuming it's a true sequel, and you need people to have read the earlier books in order to understand and enjoy this one, I would only price the first book at 99 cents or free, and put subsequent books at the higher price point. I can't see too many people loving the first one and balking at a higher price. For me, that's generally $3.99, except for shorter books in a series, which I might price at $2.99.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm pricing at $4.99 for the full-length sequels, but I'm wondering specifically about the launch. Is it better to do a sale price for the launch? Or launch it at the normal price?

·
Registered
12,722 Posts
Wayne did a one day 99 cent special for his loyal followers.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I'm launching book 2 in my series at 99 cents for a short time. I haven't decided how long yet, maybe 3 days. It's only my 2nd book ever, not just in the series, so the long term financials say that visibility is more important than a short term gain. Of course everybody wants enough early sales to get some traction, but I'm specifically thinking of the Hot New Releases list, because I write in a smaller category and it's not very hard to hit at a decent spot.

After that it'll go to $3.99, and I've already taken book 1 permanently down to 99 cents as part of my promotion for 2.

Of course I'm so much less experienced than anyone else who will respond in this thread, as well as the OP, that my two cents is worth considerably closer to zero cents, but there it is anyway.

Edit: forgot to add that that 99 cent period will be on Amazon only. I'm not in Select, but I'd rather focus my sales for those first couple of days (and I sell next to nothing at other retailers anyway). I'll publish to everywhere else when it goes to $3.99.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I launch all my books at $0.99 for the 3-4 days and inform my (small) mailing list. It's both to reward my followers and to try to gain a little bit of traction on amazon.
The plus side to this pricing strategy this time round is that I've also gotten a number of borrows during my $0.99 promo.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts