Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Huzzah!  It's "Ed and Lennie's Bad Day!"  (The actual title is "Couples.")  One of my favorite episodes! ;)

·
Registered
788 Posts
I used to be such a L&O addict. I practically mainlined it, all three shows too, in fact Criminal Intent is my favorite, I quite like Vincent D'onofrio.

I really haven't watched it much since Jerry Orbach passed though. It's just not that same without him.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mikuto said:
I used to be such a L&O addict. I practically mainlined it, all three shows too, in fact Criminal Intent is my favorite, I quite like Vincent D'onofrio.

·
Registered
788 Posts
He's a great actor isn't he? I didn't know that was him for years!

·
Registered
788 Posts
Or maybe this one, right?

I'll stick with Detective Goren, thank you very much.

Although he's put on a ton of weight and gotten quite gray since this picture.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I really only like the original L&O.  The spinoffs are too heavy on the police work and too light on the courtroom drama for my tastes.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I like the original L&O myself of course, but like I said, it's really not the same without Brisco. I suppose I've already been more interested in the police side of things rather than the trial. I like to see the bad guy get captured, not weasel his way out on a technicality...At least with CI it generally ends with the bad guy getting caught, so you have some kind of closure.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree with you about missing Briscoe.  It seems that since Orbach died, they've had a real problem holding on to cast members.  Nobody wants to stick around for more than two seasons.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Bacardi Jim said:
Or is this the D'Onofrio you prefer?

;)
Oh my lord, did you really post a picture of him as Thor in Adventures in Babysitting?! AWESOME!

·
Registered
788 Posts
Law and Order was Lennie Briscoe if you ask me. I've had the hardest time watching it every since he passed.

What's worse though is they dragged Chris Noth onto Law and Order: CI, I haven't been watching it much since the episodes were split between Goren/Eames and Logan/whatever chick they have him partnered with this week.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mikuto said:
Law and Order was Lennie Briscoe if you ask me. I've had the hardest time watching it every since he passed.

What's worse though is they dragged Chris Noth onto Law and Order: CI, I haven't been watching it much since the episodes were split between Goren/Eames and Logan/whatever chick they have him partnered with this week.
Noth left the show months ago. In a statement, he said, "I feel like I have fully explored the character of Mike Logan."

And I guess for me, L&O=Sam Waterston.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Sam Waterston is important indeed.

I recall knowing that Logan was done (finally!) but it looks like Jeff Goldblum will be taking his place, which is odd but might be neat. I think I might just buy the seasons after they run and watch them on DVD so I can skip Noth episodes and only watch Goldblum episodes if they're good.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Bacardi Jim said:
Didn't anybody warn you how awesome I am, Jen? ;D
I was aware, but not at this level. You have superceded your previous level of awesomeness.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Anyone have a particular favorite cast?

I actually don't.  My favorite cop pairing was Briscoe and Logan.  But my favorite DA pairing was McCoy and Carmichael (Angie Harmon) and Logan was gone by the time Carmichael came along.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
It was Max and Logan for me.  I hated that they killed him off.  They never show those originals on TNT.  Briscoe was the best replacement for Max and I liked him with both Logan and Green.  I couldn't stand that woman they got to replace Dennis Farina.  Farina is so great in everything he does. 

I also loved Stone and Robinette.  Claire just didn't do it for me.  She was too much of a bleeding heart to be a prosecutor.  I've always liked Sam Waterston and he was best with Jamie and Abby. 

Now McCoy is DA.  He deserved the promotion and I like him in that role.  The new guy they got to replace him is such a wimp I stopped watching the show. 

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Gertie: I hated Linus Roache at first too, but he's slowly growing on me.

Stone was always such a goody-two-shoes straight arrow that I couldn't really believe in him as a character. I much prefer "win by any means necessary" Jack. And I loved his interaction with Abby "fry 'em all and let God sort them out" Carmichael. ;)

I hate that they've scaled back his character since Jack was appointed temporary DA. Three minutes of Jack per episode just isn't enough.

Since you don't watch the show anymore, I have to tell you the conclusion of tonight's episode:
after fifteen years of telling everybody that he never wanted the job, Jack has decided to run for a full term as DA.

I miss Max too. The only good thing about killing him off was that we got to see Logan in full-scale "loose cannon" mode when he collared the guy who killed Max. ;) But I have to admit that Briscoe really improved the show a big notch in my book.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Bacardi Jim said:
Gertie: I hated Linus Roache at first too, but he's slowly growing on me.
He's just NOT Jack McCoy.

Stone was always such a goody-two-shoes straight arrow that I couldn't really believe in him as a character. I much prefer "win by any means necessary" Jack. And I loved his interaction with Abby "fry 'em all and let God sort them out" Carmichael. ;)
I liked Stone's tough cross-exams. In the end, though, you're right. His reasons for leaving were definitely goody-two-shoes. Jack wouldn't have quit.

McCoy does skate close to the edge, and sometimes even puts a toe over. I like that about him, too. Technicalities don't mean much to him. He'll find a way around them. Love your description of Abby. So true.

I hate that they've scaled back his character since Jack was appointed temporary DA. Three minutes of Jack per episode just isn't enough.
I know it was the right thing to make him the DA (and thanks for the spoiler), but I just can't see McCoy sitting on the sidelines. Not his style at all.

I miss Max too. The only good thing about killing him off was that we got to see Logan in full-scale "loose cannon" mode when he collared the guy who killed Max. ;) But I have to admit that Briscoe really improved the show a big notch in my book.
Logan on the phone with Marie when Max was killed ... even the thought of it gives me chills. Logan was a good cop that was constantly in trouble. Loved him for that. Reminds me of me. Not that I'm a cop, but I believe that the shortest distance between two points is right through anyone who stands in my way. I have no patience with anyone who tries to hold me back when I'm on a mission.

I still watch the reruns. Gotta have my L&O fix. Even the bad episodes are better than most of what's on the tube.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts