Kindle Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate it. Does anybody here use a lawn service and if so, can you give me an idea of how affordable it is? Hubby thinks hiring a lawn service is only for rich people but I'm trying to persuade him otherwise.  :p  My yard isn't especially big and I don't water my lawn or anything crazy like that (die grass, die!) so I'd only need mowing and weed-eating about once a week during the summer months. 

·
Registered
98 Posts
Here it's $25 to $30 for a moderate (1/4 acre) lawn. You can get it done every 10 days, too, so it works out to $75-$90/month.

·
Registered
10,391 Posts
One of my neighbors was using a service for $25.00 week (not a large yard). She decided to cancel it this year in order to save money. Part of her issue was that you are locked into the $25.00 per week, even in August when you typically only need to mow maybe a couple times around here if we get a fairly hot and dry spell.

·
Super Moderator
67,449 Posts
DH takes care of the yard and I don't bug him about how it's done.  Usually he does the mowing but we do have a neighbor who has a kid just coming into mowing age, and likes money.  So we've put him to work some with lawn chores -- DH currently has a major excavation project going and help is a good thing!

When he was traveling a lot more I'd occasionally capture one of the guys that came around to many of the neighbors and ask 'em to do a one-time job on our yard because there's no way I was going to and it needed it.  I think it was usually $20-$30 which is probably less than the neighbors paid for the service because I expect the guys just pocketed my cash and didn't bother to tell the boss.  Or maybe they were the boss!

My bailiwick is inside the house and I HATE to clean so I have a cleaning lady. ::)

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Good idea Ann.  Am going to try that.  Here it is $40 to mow a lawn.  Our lawn is a little larger and has some areas that make it more difficult.  However, DH does the lawn.  We talked about a lawn service, but DH thinks they do a poor job for the most part.  He is particular.  Ah well. 

·
Super Moderator
67,449 Posts
Tippy said:
Good idea Ann. Am going to try that. Here it is $40 to mow a lawn. Our lawn is a little larger and has some areas that make it more difficult. However, DH does the lawn. We talked about a lawn service, but DH thinks they do a poor job for the most part. He is particular. Ah well.
See, I think they actually do a better job than he does. Or the neighbor boy -- sometimes he leaves stripes. ::) Because they do the edging every time and he usually only does it about once every 3 months. But he also likes to collect the grass to use for mulch and of course they bag it up and put it on the curb. Which is o.k., really. Could still be used as long as you get to it before it starts to ferment in the plastic bag! :D But mostly, I don't really care as long as I don't have to! :eek:

·
Registered
6,706 Posts
Dara England said:
I hate it. Does anybody here use a lawn service and if so, can you give me an idea of how affordable it is? Hubby thinks hiring a lawn service is only for rich people but I'm trying to persuade him otherwise.
What I want to know is, how does your husband get you to mow the lawn?

My wife wouldn't go for that. She would just laugh at me if I suggested it.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Our six sheep mow the grass. They're quite good at it, too.

Towards the end of our years of suburban living we started using a lawn service. They charged $25 a time, and brought much joy and gladness for that modest price.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
swolf said:

:) I think I'd like your wife. That would be my response exactly!

·
Registered
819 Posts
We have .5 acres and our guy charges $40 per visit to mow/edge.  He usually comes 1 or 2 times a month depending on how dry it is that time of year.  Maybe 3 times if we are getting lots of rain, and usually doesn't come at all Jan or Feb since it is so dry and cold.

·
Registered
417 Posts
My son and I mow our lawn. It's not my favorite thing to do, but it's not that bad. I think most services in my area are between $25.00 and 50.00 per week, depending on what level of service you need.

·
Registered
12,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
swolf said:

:D Well, hubby works twelve hour shifts and isn't usually home during daylight hours. I stay at home with the kiddies, writing and doing graphic design. So we've kinda worked out a deal where I take care of everything around the house. Anything I can't fix on my own (broken dishwashers, busted dryers, etc) I can usually ask my dad or my father-in-law to help with. Luckily, they're handy guys because hubby is about as useful as I am at mechanical stuff. You should see the two of us trying to change a doorknob. :p

Shayne Parkinson said:
Our six sheep mow the grass. They're quite good at it, too.
New question, how much would six sheep cost me? :D

Seriously, thanks for the info everyone. Now I have some numbers to take to the husband.

·
Registered
161 Posts
We pay the neighbor kid 20 bucks to do it... we provide our mower and gas... he weed-whacks also!

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
$28 for mow, edge and cleaning debris off deck, driveway and sidewalk. We have it done every other week, so we consider it affordable. 

·
Registered
917 Posts
Yeah--depending on the age of the kid, you might be able to get it for less. My SIL pays $25 a MONTH to some kid to mow her lawn.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts