Kindle Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
UPDATE - 2 days left to take advantage of the early bird pricing and save $75 on the cost of the course!

For those who want to learn how to sell foreign rights to their work...

...SellMyBookOverseas.com launches April 24th!

What is it? In short, it's the industry's first coaching program designed to teach writers - traditionally or independently published - how to market their foreign language rights to overseas publishers without using an agent.

It combines knowledge of the global publishing market, individual and group coaching from an internationally bestselling writer/creativity coach, and a database of 500 editorial contacts among thirty countries worldwide to give you the resources you need to market your work effectively.

Some of the things the program focuses on include:

How to research individual publishers and the editors who represent them
How to tailor your pitch to that particular publisher to give you the best chance at success
How to use industry conventions and book fairs to market your work effectively
How to evaluate a publishing offer and negotiate your contract
…and more.

There is room for 25 students in the inaugural session (there will be 4 sessions per year) and there is an early-bird special available for those who sign up ahead of the launch week. Note that we focus on adult and young adult fiction in the major genres only - this program is not designed for marketing children's books or non-fiction.

I've used these techniques over the last several years to sell 7 novels to Germany, three to Russia, two to Poland, two to China, and am currently negotiating deals in three other countries. I've also sold audio rights to 10 of my books in the same fashion. You don't need an agent to do this stuff - all you need is some basic information and a willingness to do the legwork to properly target your publishing partners. It's my goal to teach people (especially indies) how to do that and then coach them through their first few attempts at the process so that they get off to a good start.

Learn more at SellMyBookOverseas.com

·
Registered
275 Posts
Sounds like a good service.  You might want to mention the price up front.  I had to look around the site for a while to find it:

-----------
Regular Price: $574.00.
Early Bird Special – Join Before April 20th and save!
Just $497.00
-----------

Best of luck,
Quinn

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@Elle - thanks!  I'm looking forward to sharing what I can with folks.

@Quinn - I have the price at the bottom of the first page, which was the logical place for me. Sorry you had trouble finding it.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A few folks have written privately to ask exactly what countries were included in the editorial database so I thought I'd just share that list here.  I'll be updating the site to post it there as well.

Update - There are 21 spots left in the first class.

Countries included:
Australia
Brazil
Bulgaria
China
Croatia
Czech Republic
Denmark
Estonia
Finland
France
Germany
Greece
Hungary
India
Indonesia
Israel
Italy
Japan
Korea
Netherlands
Norway
Poland
Portugal
Romania
Russia
Slovakia
Spain
Sweden
Taiwan
Turkey
UK

·
Registered
12,233 Posts
I'm very excited you're doing this, Joseph.  I can't afford to get in on this round but hopefully will at some point in the future. I have a hunch the info will be worth every penny. Good luck with it!

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dara -thanks for both the excitement and the interest!  I hope to do two more of these before year's end, if all goes well so hopefully you can join us at some point in the future!

Best,
Joe

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Steve - Signing up for the coaching program gives you access to the site for 6 months, so the three months of the course plus three months after that.  If you want access to the database and ongoing informational postings beyond that point, there is a small ($10) monthly fee.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
NEW - PAYMENT PLAN OPTION

I've had a couple of people ask about a payment plan for the program. If this is something that you need, please email or PM me to discuss it. To be fair to those who have already signed up, it will be based on the full price of the program and not the early bird special, but I'm willing to work with people who are interested.

There are about 15 spaces left in the program at this point.

-Joe

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
love this, joe!  and the site looks great.  does this mean the first session begins april 24? i've got too much going on in May to participate, but i might sign up for the next session.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Anne.  Yes, the first session starts on April 24th and runs for 90 days.  Somewhere in late July I'll make an announcement about the time frame for the launch of the second session that will likely run Aug -Oct.

Best,
Joe

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Jnassise said:
Thanks Anne. Yes, the first session starts on April 24th and runs for 90 days. Somewhere in late July I'll make an announcement about the time frame for the launch of the second session that will likely run Aug -Oct.

Best,
Joe
thanks!

·
Premium Member
63,460 Posts
Joe,

Welcome to KBoards! [br][br]You're welcome to promote your business and website here in the Writers' Café, but we ask that the same basic rules be followed as we have for authors in the Book Bazaar: you may have one thread about your service and must post to it rather than start a new thread each time. New threads about the service will be removed. Please bookmark this thread so that you can find it again to post to. And, you may not make back-to-back posts to the thread within seven days. If someone responds (such as this post), you may reply but otherwise must wait seven days, thanks![br][br]Also, active members (10 or more posts on our forum, active in the last 60 days) may have a listing in the Yellow Pages for Authors. [br][br]Betsy [br]KBoards Moderator

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just added two more countries to the database - the UK and Serbia - bringing the total number of foreign publishers to over 565 publishers in 33 countries!

There is still room in the inaugural coaching session so if you're looking to learn how to market your foreign rights without using an agent, come check us out - Sellmybookoverseas.com.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
With the London Book Fair in full swing and my thoughts on foreign right sales, I wanted to put out a reminder that there is still time to get in on the inaugural Sellmybookoverseas.com coaching program. We'll be focusing on learning how to sell your rights to foreign publishers, including how to research a market, make the pitch, break down a publication offer and read a contract.

Early bird rates good until April 23rd

Payment plan available

Check out www.sellmybookoverseas.com for more!

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
48 hours left to make use of the Early Bird special and save $78.00 on access to the inaugural class at Sellmybookoverseas.com! Learn how to market and sell your book to foreign publishers in other countries and add income to your bottom line without a lot of additional effort.

Visit sellmybookoverseas.com to learn more!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts