Kindle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know the legalities of scanning in an out of print book to your computer as an E-Book for your own use? I have read that it is legal to make back up copies so for many other things so I would figure for an out of print book it should be fine as long as it is for personal use and I own the original book and I'm not selling it...I'm having a hard time finding an answer to this, probably just not looking in the right spots.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
I tried to research that once and couldn't find a definite answer either way. I'd be interested in the answer as well. It seems like one of those issues that hasn't been decided legally yet. And if it's illegal to type or scan in a book, is it illegal to print out an ebook? No idea!

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
As far as I know, you may only scan less than (if I recall correctly) under 20% of a book for academic personal use. I knew at one time you were able to scan a whole book if it was out of print, but I think those days are gone. Even out of print books belong to someone, and those companies/copyright holders would not like a PDF copy getting out, I should think.

I would assume that a whole book is not legal to scan, strictly speaking, but would likely not be a huge deal if it is truly for your own use and you don't share it.

Not sure, really. Sorry!

·
Registered
604 Posts
You can do it legally if the book is out of copyright.  For the US in general anything from before 1923 is out of copyright.  Stuff from after 1923 can be iffy as the laws about renewing changed and something that was not renewed could be out of copyright, but it can be difficult to find out for sure if something was renewed.  My daughter was going to make a video of Girl Scout songs for a Gold Award project with hand motions and such but after I spent a lot of time looking into getting rights to various songs I realized that it was hopeless for such a no budget project and she ended up doing something entirely different.

Right now Google has a project to scan "orphan" books that is causing a lot of controversy since many people feel they have a rather too liberal policy for determining what is an "orphan."

If you're not sure what it acceptable about making an ebook from a book you have you are in good company.

·
Registered
604 Posts
If it's out of copyright, you could not only copy it, but add zombies.
If you added enough zombies you could copyright your new version as a derivative work and then everything that was new/different in your version would be copyrighted with a new date and you'd be the only one with the right to distribute the zombiafied version. This happens a lot with music. Something is old and out of copyright so they change a couple notes in the arrangement. Then the book it appears in shows a new copyright date for the music.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I run a website for a movie series, and there were novelizations made for the movies after they came out based on the original shooting scripts. The books have been out of print since they came out roughly lol. So mid 1980s. I've tried contacting the publishers and I have tried getting people to click "I want this on the kindle" so that hopefully they'd reprint them or at least release them as ebooks. But no such luck. Been trying for years lol. I figure if I keep waiting its never gonna happen so I should just go ahead.

Its a lot of work, but with the ABBY FineReader 9.0 Professional Edition free 15 day trial it hasn't been so bad, its actually a lot quicker then I expected. But I fear ruining the binding on the books!

Oh, and I've had TONS of excerpts from the novels on my website for YEARS. And nobody has ever said anything to me to take them down...so I take that as a good sign too lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts