Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you're a fan of this show like I am, you will be pleased to know the break is over and a new episode should air this weekend.  It is titled "Denna".  If you have read Terry Goodkind's  "The Sword of Truth" series, you know who that is.

I am very excited to see this episode.  In the books, this was one of the turning points of Richard's (da hero)life.

The program loosly follows the books with some major differences.  All in all, I like it a lot.  Even with the differences, I feel it captures the spirit of the books.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
We're excited too. I've been calling the show "The Continuing Adventures of Richard, Zedd and Kahlan" LOL

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine comes on tonight at 7 PM eastern.  So unless something bad happens, I'll be watching it in just a couple of hours!

·
Registered
455 Posts
What channel is this on? I have never heard of it. I read the series up to a point, but I know I haven't read all of them. Would love to see the show. :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Thanks! I never knew this existed. I'm in Boston and it shows on channel 5. It was on at 7 EST tonight so I taped it. I just watched the first 3 episodes on my laptop. I've read the series a couple of times at least and just love it. The acting leaves a bit to be desired and there is a MAJOR differance even in episode 1 (no spoilers, don't worry). However, I love the books so much I just have to watch it. I must admit though, I don't like the casting of Zed. I always pictured him more like Gandalf from LOTR, not the odd looking guy they have as an actor on this show.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
ScrappingForever said:
What channel is this on? I have never heard of it. I read the series up to a point, but I know I haven't read all of them. Would love to see the show. :)
Its syndicated so you'll have to check your listings. I have to record it since it airs in my market at 1230 am Monday mornings. The other bonus to the series is that its a Sam Rami production - the same guy behind Hercules and Xena. I love those shows. :) Just waiting on Bruce Campbell to guest star. :)

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, there are all kinds of discrepancies between the book and the show. It still does a good job of following the spirit of the books.

One thing I noticed right away is the rule about women's hair in the Midlands. This isn't a spoiler (I think)so I'll post it. The higher a woman's social status, the longer her hair is. Peasent woman have the shortest hair. Kahlen being the High Confessor is supposed to have the longest hair in the land. longer than even royalty. The show doesn't follow that rule.

This new episode introduced the Mord Sith. They are an important group in the books but of course the show corrupted them as well. They did serve part of their purpose in the episode so it wasn't a total loss.

As the show progresses, I feel like the acting is getting better. If not, then I am just getting used to it.

Richard was able to turn the sword white when he killed Denna and he learned to control pain. Denna wasn't revived in the books but she did Manage to help Richard twice from the other side. Lastly, I want to see Richard's magic kick in. He's supposed to be a wizard dang it

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'm all caught up now. The acting is getting better, but still pretty bad. I hate watching movies/t.v. shows based on a book when they so drastically vary from the books.  At least in LOTR they just cut out huge pieces, but they never changed the plot or major plot lines as drastically as this. UGH!

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i just remember they say "based on" the book by Terry Goodkind.  I never expect them to ever follow a book very closely.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I just stumbled across this series a few weeks ago and have been taping all the reruns. I've menaged to get caught up (I hope) and very excited that these are new ones coming out!  I am enjoying the series.

theresam

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I really like it as well.  I know it's vastlly different from the books but it's fun to watch.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I started to watch the series but I am sorry to say that I lost interest in it. I wasn't expecting it to follow the series word for word, nor was I expecting Lord of the Rings (also shot in New Zealand). However, I was expecting something closer to Mr. Goodkind's vision, and something more visually stimulating given the fact that Sam Raimi was onboard and they shot it in NZ.

I like Kahlan, but Richard is all wrong. He needs to be a more noble, knowledgeable person. A very important part of the series is the fact that Richard was able to grow up and become the man he is BEFORE magic and adventure was brought into his life. He uses his insight and wisdom to solve his problems. The TV series appears to focus on him still becoming this man, and it just feels all wrong.

Mr. Goodkind has been a tremendous inspiration to me as a writer. He actually owns some of my artwork too!

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have been thinking it seems like by the time Richard met Denna he was able to cast spells like Zeb.  He hasn't done anything like that yet.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Hahaha...."Luke Skywalker on Tattoine" ish...that's exactly right.

Vampyre,
I haven't read the first book in a while, but I didn't think he could use magic until after he turned the blade white with Denna....unless you count memorizing the book. I could be wrong, it's been a while.

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You may be right
and he just did that.. sort of in the show

1 - 20 of 23 Posts