Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
What a day! Wow, Harvey, you stumbled across that before I did! Thanks for the link!

L

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Our Leslie is famous!! Congrats!

"I think the Whispernet is what sets the Kindle apart from all the other e-readers on the market," says Leslie Nicoll of Portland, Maine, who co-authored "The Amazon Kindle F.A.Q." book after her tech-loving teenage daughter urged her to get a Kindle.

Like Branch, Nicoll says she likes the Kindle's low-impact effect on her bookshelves. "I don't have to worry about giving it to someone else, reselling it on Amazon or finding a place to store it in my house," she says. "For the enjoyment and convenience, it has given me in the past seven months, I consider that it has paid for itself already."

·
Registered
552 Posts
Congratulations Leslie. A well earned honor,

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Here's a sample, the link to the whole thing is at the end.

A year later, Amazon's Kindle finds a niche

* Story Highlights
* Amazon.com's electronic Kindle reader celebrates its first birthday
* Device holds about 200 digital books and can reduce bookshelf clutter
* Sales have been steady, but the device so far remains mostly a tech novelty
* Oprah Winfrey has praised it, but J.K. Rowling vows no e-versions of "Harry Potter"

By Zach Pontz
CNN

(CNN) -- It has the curves of a Lamborghini, looks like something an astronaut might take into space and weighs only 10.3 ounces.

Amazon.com's electronic Kindle reader -- a device meant to remove the paper from the page and make reading both more convenient and eco-friendly -- is celebrating its first birthday....

"I think the Whispernet is what sets the Kindle apart from all the other e-readers on the market," says Leslie Nicoll of Portland, Maine, who co-authored "The Amazon Kindle F.A.Q." book after her tech-loving teenage daughter urged her to get a Kindle.

Like Branch, Nicoll says she likes the Kindle's low-impact effect on her bookshelves. "I don't have to worry about giving it to someone else, reselling it on Amazon or finding a place to store it in my house," she says. "For the enjoyment and convenience, it has given me in the past seven months, I consider that it has paid for itself already."

Find this article at:
http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/12/03/kindle.electronic.reader/index.html

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Doc, I am going to merge this with the other thread we have on the same topic. Thanks,

Leslie

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Jesslyn said:
I do too and I was surprised at the comment from JK Rowling. What a shortsighted comment!
Yes, very shortsighted, but not surprising. She's made her stand quite clear on numerous occasions.

But not everything in Kindle world is roses and gumdrops. There's a difference between modest early success and making a centuries-old print format obsolete. The Kindle sells for $359, a steep price for the average reader in the current economic climate.
Who's looking to make print format obsolete? There are many reasons for printed books, and it may be another century or even two before they go the way of rolled parchment. Peaceful co-existence between print books and the Kindle.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
gertiekindle said:
Who's looking to make print format obsolete? There are many reasons for printed books, and it may be another century or even two before they go the way of rolled parchment. Peaceful co-existence between print books and the Kindle.
Exactly. As I say, it's all about choices. I for one am not particularly fond of audiobooks, but lots of folks love them. Same difference.

L

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Angela said:
Our Leslie is famous!! Congrats!
Yes, congrats Leslie!

Despite the Sony press, I think I have said it before--I demoed the Sony at my local Target and it is WAY too gadget-y. The device was actually cold

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Leslie said:
Exactly. As I say, it's all about choices. I for one am not particularly fond of audiobooks, but lots of folks love them. Same difference.

L
I feel the same way about audiobooks. They put me to sleep.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts