Kindle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I published my first novel at the end of November and while I've gotten a few decent reviews the response to the book seems less than enthusiastic. I've given out over 30 arcs (is that enough?) and received a handful of reviews which were a mixed bag. I'm wondering if the book just didn't resonate with people because most of my fans are eerily silent.  :D And I don't know if I'm being negative, but I kind of take silence as saying "we really didn't like that much." Has anyone released a book and received very few reviews in the first 3 - 4 months? Should I send out more arcs? I would really appreciate hearing your experiences.

·
Registered
I'm working on my will to live.
655 Posts
SunHi Mistwalker said:
So, I published my first novel at the end of November and while I've gotten a few decent reviews the response to the book seems less than enthusiastic. I've given out over 30 arcs (is that enough?) and received a handful of reviews which were a mixed bag. I'm wondering if the book just didn't resonate with people because most of my fans are eerily silent. :D And I don't know if I'm being negative, but I kind of take silence as saying "we really didn't like that much." Has anyone released a book and received very few reviews in the first 3 - 4 months? Should I send out more arcs? I would really appreciate hearing your experiences.
I think I got most of my reviews when the books were new and fresh. But everyone who reviews is super backed-up. I'd keep sending them out. It will pay off in the long run.

·
Registered
5,123 Posts
I think if your fans are silent you've got a problem.
I can see having to wait a long time for a review from bloggers but you should be able to get a few "nice work!" from people who already like your stuff.
Can you approach anyone who's read your book directly to ask their opinion?

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Yep.  Did a Goodreads event asking for reviews on my first comedy novella.  Gave out about 15 copies.  Four months later, not a single review.  Perhaps it sucks.  I don't think so, but if people can't even be bothered to can it with a one or two star review then there must be something wrong with it.  I'm just finishing up #4 in the series (and they all ROCK, goddammit!!) but after that I'm back to concentrating on the full novels.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for sharing Jason.

Quiss, I think you're right. I do know that at least one person who reviewed the novel liked the prequel short story. But I've got a bad feeling about the fact that everyone else is dead silent. Well, one person who read the book but didn't leave a review said she hated the opening. So there you go. I guess I can't win them all. At least my "After The Darkness" series is popular. ;)

Dotx, Yes, it's in the same genre, but it does jump forward in time. ETA: Actually, I think my After The Darkness series is more Scifi-ish than New Hope City and The Shelter. So maybe that could be it? I really don't know.

Well, I've got six books under this name, I guess I can't expect that everyone will like everything I do. I'm okay with it because I know I did my best on that novel.

·
Registered
5,123 Posts
Yah, here's a perspective.

I am doing quite well in getting reviews for my Space Opera.
However, trying to get anyone to comment on "Gods" is like pulling teeth. I had pretty much made up my mind to yank the title and do some sort of post-mortem before republishing.
Then I got a five-star review. So it can't totally suck, right?

Give it more time.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quiss said:
Yah, here's a perspective.

I am doing quite well in getting reviews for my Space Opera.
However, trying to get anyone to comment on "Gods" is like pulling teeth. I had pretty much made up my mind to yank the title and do some sort of post-mortem before republishing.
Then I got a five-star review. So it can't totally suck, right?

Give it more time.
Yeah, I think you're right again. I'll give it more time and see what happens. Maybe I should send out reviews to book bloggers too? I didn't do that before because it's so time consuming. I've just relied on getting reviews from readers. But it seems like it might be better for me. Thanks everyone for your comments. I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
432 Posts
SunHi Mistwalker said:
Well, I've got six books under this name, I guess I can't expect that everyone will like everything I do. I'm okay with it because I know I did my best on that novel.
That's all you can do, right? I don't have a series (yet), but maybe your readers have an expectation with this one that they aren't getting? Sometimes books/movies that are initially received with a lukewarm response, can sometimes age well in the context of the other works in the series. I know I've changed my mind about books or movies with some reflection...it can take some time though!

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yep, that's all I can do. I guess I just need to release it. Maybe the control freak in me wants all the good reviews to come in now.  :D  And I agree, there is a sense that the novel is not exactly what people expected, even from the people who enjoyed it. I do plan to write a sequel so maybe it will age well with time. Anyway, I will try not to obsess over it. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
108 Posts
If you want eager, enthusiastic commenters, (which is NOT easy!), you need to build your author brand and create some raving fans. This takes time and effort but it definitely works. Make sure you utilize your blog and social media and stay in contact with your readers and potential readers on a daily basis. This is what many authors don't do, won't do, and many don't like to do, yet it's one of the most important things to their success.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts