Kindle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having just returned from my self imposed "sabbatical", I see that the K1/K2 lightness issue is still raging. This has taught me a valuable lesson. I did not buy the K2 because I felt it didn't offer enough improvement to warrant the cost, but I was very tempted ("the pull, oh the pull"). For many of you the contrast/lightness issue would not matter, but for me it would matter a great deal. Even when the K3 comes out (which I have every intention of buying), I will wait for your first reviews, just in case there is another, totally unforeseen, issue that crops up. Normally I would rush to be the first in line, But no matter how many nice do-dads they add, the most important thing for me is the readability for my vision. The introduction of the K2 has been a nice lesson for me to be patient.

Steve

·
Registered
460 Posts
I think it just comes down to personal preference, and perhaps it's simply an issue of a vocal minority. I'm quite happy with my K2, but I know there are people who are very annoyed by the contrast.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Welcome back, Steve.

I have not noticed a difference in the contrast between the Kindles in my life (one K2 and 3 K1s) but obviously there is variability among many Kindles and perhaps a lack of quality control. I think that your point is well taken that it is good to exercise a little patience, especially when you know there are "mission critical" issues that are important for individual users -- in your case, vision, as you said.

L

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I think the contrast issue is largely exaggerated. If there is an issue, it must just have to do with the K2 screen being 16 shades of grey, the K1 4 shades.

I haven't had any trouble with my K2.

That said, I can see how the K2 wouldn't be a big enough upgrade over the K1 for a lot of folks.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Oh, I love seeing the next generation of any gadget.  I like the upgrades and can't ever remember having buyers remorse. But my thriftiness always overrides that.  So I'm always puttering along with an older version of everything. Which if fine.

I don't see myself getting a K3.  The Kindle is a tad overpriced for my life so right now my thinking is it's an every other year splurge for me.  But I reserve the right to change my mind......just in case........  ;D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts