Kindle Forum banner

What's your vote for Best Actor at the 81st Annual Academy Awards?

• Richard Jenkins in "The Visitor"

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
I had to change my vote because I voted first for who I think should win the Best Actor Oscar and I've only seen one performance--Sean Penn's in Milk which was incredible.  I haven't seen anything but clips from the wrestler, which looks great--has anyone seen it?  I think Mickey Rourke will win, and I'm sure his performance is incredible.  Plus his back story AND Oscar loves when actors/actresses make themselves really unattractive (not that Mickey Rourke was a hunk or anything).

Betsy

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Like you, I haven't seen The Wrestler but everything I have heard, everyone says Mickey Rourke was incredible. Still, I really really thought Sean Penn was fabulous in Milk and I am keeping my money on him, even though he is a long shot right now. He won not too long ago for Mystic River and the thinking is that it is too soon for another Oscar. On the other hand, the Academy loves actors in roles where they portray real people. However, with that thinking, Frank Langella in Frost/Nixon might slip in through the door.

L

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
Sean was soooo fabulous in Milk, this is one of those years when I hate that there is more than one great performance.  Too bad they can't give a first runner-up.  "It's an honor just to be nominated, yada, yada, yada."

Betsy

·
Registered
221 Posts
CuriousLaura said:
This one is clear for me....SEAN PENN, he's way over due....
Sean Penn got his golden statuette in 2003 for Mystic River. If he hadn't already won, I would have bet on him taking the win tomorrow night. But my money's on Mickey Rourke -- Hollywood loves the classic story of the bad boy finding redemption. Dark horse is Frank Langella. If Brad Pitt wins, I won't be watching next year. If he was playing a piece of wood in that movie, he'd deserve that Oscar; that was a very wooden performance.

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
As stated on the other threads, I haven't seen any of these movies, but I would say from just reviews, etc, it's between Penn and Rourke.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Sean Penn gets my vote on this one.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, it was a surprise. Sean Penn and I picked correctly! Yippee!

L

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
Yay for Sean!  If the poll had been for my personal choice, as I said, Sean would have been it since that was the performance I had actually seen, and it was great!  But I really thought the Academy would pick Rourke.  I still want to see the Wrestler.  For Tomei and Rourke to get Oscar noms, it must have some great acting!

Betsy

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Betsy the Quilter said:
Yay for Sean! If the poll had been for my personal choice, as I said, Sean would have been it since that was the performance I had actually seen, and it was great! But I really thought the Academy would pick Rourke. I still want to see the Wrestler. For Tomei and Rourke to get Oscar noms, it must have some great acting!

Betsy
I had no desire to see the Wrestler, but I will probably rent this one or watch it on PPV when it is available.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts