Kindle Forum banner

What's your vote for Best Picture at the 81st Annual Academy Awards?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
I've only seen Milk and Slumdog Millionaire, which seem be the only two anyone ever picks, Milk as the upset to Slumdog.  Having seen both, I'd have to pick Slumdog.  Milk is a fantastic picture, but the overall vision of creating the look and feel of Slumdog gives it the nod for me.  Without Slumdog in the picture, Milk would probably get it.

Betsy

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree with your reasoning completely, Betsy.

I also saw Benjamin Button. I think its chances of winning are about 1 in a million but if it does, 10 years from now, people will say, "What were they thinking? There were so many better movies in 2009..." (sort of like they do with Titanic, now).

L

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
Leslie said:
I also saw Benjamin Button. I think its chances of winning are about 1 in a million but if it does, 10 years from now, people will say, "What were they thinking? There were so many better movies in 2009..." (sort of like they do with Titanic, now).
I never understood the Titanic mania. When we went to see it, I thought it was an extremely well filmed B movie disaster flick. I thought the storyline between the young lovers didn't really hang together all that well, and not being a teen at the time, didn't really care about them, although both leads have turned into really, really good actors. (Ducking and running from all the Titanic lovers)

Betsy

·
Super Moderator
67,316 Posts
I never saw Titanic.  Not even on TV.

I also haven't seen any of this year's movies, but I've read the books (well, I read Benjamin Button. :) )

No, I don't live under a rock, just don't go to the movies much!  :)

Ann

·
Super Moderator
67,316 Posts
Leslie said:
Go look at the blog:

http://www.kboards.com/blog/

Apparently Slumdog Millionaire is based on a book called Q&A: A Novel. It has pretty good reviews and is available in a Kindle edition.

L
Hmmm. . . might have to check that out. . .

Ann

·
Registered
139 Posts
Betsy the Quilter said:
I never understood the Titanic mania. When we went to see it, I thought it was an extremely well filmed B movie disaster flick. I thought the storyline between the young lovers didn't really hang together all that well, and not being a teen at the time, didn't really care about them, although both leads have turned into really, really good actors. (Ducking and running from all the Titanic lovers)

Betsy
I was a teen at the time, so of course I luv it...at the time. I saw it a few years later and thought 'WTF was I thinking'
Really both actors have come A LONG LONG way after that movie. I don't understand what happened with Titanic, not only winning but equally the Ben Hur record...I'm so bad with numbers, maybe Leslie knows.... ::)

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Ann Von Hagel said:
I also haven't seen any of this year's movies, but I've read the books (well, I read Benjamin Button. :) )

No, I don't live under a rock, just don't go to the movies much! :)

Ann
If you read Benjamin Button, change the location, the time period, the whole story line, add a long time developing love story, a ballerina and throw in Hurricane Katrina and you will get the idea. The only thing left over from the story was the title and the concept of growing younger. I saw it was and I terribly disappointed, I liked the original Fitzgerald story much better.

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
I just realized that I need to get out more... I haven't seen any of these movies and have only read Benjamin Button! The last movie I went to the theater to see was Wall-E! :)

·
Registered
221 Posts
I was very disappointed that Wall-E wasn't nominated for Best Picture this year. However, I'm more than a little bit biased...

My vote would go to The Reader. But at the viewing party I'm going tomorrow night, I'm putting my money on Slumdog Millionaire for the Oscar pool. I hope Benjamin Button doesn't win. I thought it was comparable to Meet Joe Black -- definitely not Oscar material.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Gables Girl said:
If you read Benjamin Button, change the location, the time period, the whole story line, add a long time developing love story, a ballerina and throw in Hurricane Katrina and you will get the idea. The only thing left over from the story was the title and the concept of growing younger. I saw it was and I terribly disappointed, I liked the original Fitzgerald story much better.
What she said.

They also threw in a bunch of hummingbirds in the movie which were supposed to be totally symbolic and I thought the effect was trite and contrived. Not to mention the daughter of the dying woman who was as dense as a doorknob.

L

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
CuriousLaura said:
I was a teen at the time, so of course I luv it...at the time. I saw it a few years later and thought 'WTF was I thinking'
Really both actors have come A LONG LONG way after that movie. I don't understand what happened with Titanic, not only winning but equally the Ben Hur record...I'm so bad with numbers, maybe Leslie knows.... ::)
I liked Titanic when it came out and actually saw it twice in the theater. I think it won because it was a complete "package" -- a good story, cleverly told (at least at that time), good special effects (at least at that time), generally all around good performances (at least at that time). It hasn't aged as well as some other movies but if I am flipping through the TV channels and see it is on, I usually sit down and watch at least a little bit. It's not a bad movie, it's just not a great movie. And the Academy has a bad habit of not recognizing the great movies.

L

·
Registered
221 Posts
Leslie said:
What she said.

They also threw in a bunch of hummingbirds in the movie which were supposed to be totally symbolic and I thought the effect was trite and contrived. Not to mention the daughter of the dying woman who was as dense as a doorknob.
I thought the whole movie was awful and overrated. The only thing Fitzgerald's short story and the movie have in common is the name. If you gave the move a different name, no one would have thought it had anything to do with the short story.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sparkplug said:
I thought the whole movie was awful and overrated. The only thing Fitzgerald's short story and the movie have in common is the name. If you gave the move a different name, no one would have thought it had anything to do with the short story.
Exactly.

I wouldn't say the movie was awful....I watched it all, fairly engrossed, enjoying the story. But once it was over and I walked out of the theater I said, that's that, once is enough. I won't watch it again and I won't be buying the DVD.

L

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Leslie said:
Exactly.

I wouldn't say the movie was awful....I watched it all, fairly engrossed, enjoying the story. But once it was over and I walked out of the theater I said, that's that, once is enough. I won't watch it again and I won't be buying the DVD.

L
Best thing was Brad Pitt as eye candy and that is just sad. There was so much potential to the idea that Fitzgerald had. You forgot the whole clock thing, that made no sense at all.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I voted for Slumdog Millionaire. I haven't seen it but with all they hype surrounding it.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Gables Girl said:
Best thing was Brad Pitt as eye candy and that is just sad. There was so much potential to the idea that Fitzgerald had. You forgot the whole clock thing, that made no sense at all.
That's why I forgot it! LOL

But I didn't forget the photoshopped body of Brad Pitt from Thelma & Louise days...LOL

L

1 - 20 of 30 Posts