Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 757 Posts

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We all know about Stephen King.... What other horror novelists/books do you like?

The first horror novel I can remember reading was James Herbert's The Rats. Of course, not Kindleized.... I loved this book, read it several times.

Talk amongst yourselves while I come up with some more....

·
Registered
788 Posts
I've been singing the praises of Scott Sigler's Infected since before I finished it, it's sort of sci-fi, sort of action, but most definitely horrific.

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
J. Michael Straczynski (creator of Babylon 5) has written three horror novels that were pretty good. Not on Kindle yet, but I guess there's always hope.

Does F. Paul Wilson's Repairman Jack series count as horror? I like those a lot. I don't think any of these are on Kindle, either.

Also, H.P. Lovecraft's work, which is on the Kindle (yea!). And August Derleth (a protogé of Lovecraft).

·
Registered
788 Posts
Well if you're going to mention Lovecraft then I have to mention Poe! One of my favorite "horror story" memories is reading The Masque of the Red Death for the first time and getting chills up and down my arms.

I guess I'm a little narrowly read compared to you guys, cause I can't think of many other examples of the horror genre even though it's one of my favorites.

I was told that John Saul is good though.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Ohh Infected! I have to download that one. Poe will always win out as my favorite horror writer, maybe its just because its the first horror I ever read.  I just got done with World War Z and I really loved it.  My favorite horror book so far though has been House of Leaves, though its not on the kindle its a little too strangely edited to probably be put on a kindle.  I felt I was slowly going mad reading that book, I even threw it across the room cause I got so spooked, and I rarely get spooked with a horror book.  Even though its a DTB its one of my faves. 

·
Registered
788 Posts
Wasn't WWZ fantastic? By the time I was done with it I was saying "Get me Ken Burns! This needs to be a documentary!" Infected is pretty film-worthy too, but as far as I know the only one ACTUALLY in production is WWZ.

Not by Ken Burns though, I'm sure. Though he'd be perfect for it.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I loved Infected. I picked it up from the library earlier this year. What a great voice the writer has. I have been meaning to look up more of his stuff.

A book I read this year, that they made into a terrible movie, was The Ruins:

This book was creepy. Really creepy. I loved the way the characters behaved towards each other once they determined they were in real trouble.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mikuto said:
I was told that John Saul is good though.
I haven't read any of his stuff in a few years.... I remember picking up the last one, reading it, and thinking it was pretty bad.... ah, here it is:

I remember Saul's earlier works being much better.

·
Registered
788 Posts
pidgeon92 said:
I loved Infected. I picked it up from the library earlier this year. What a great voice the writer has. I have been meaning to look up more of his stuff.
Wanna know something weird? I raved about his book in my blog and he commented to it. How weird is it to get a message notification that "ScottSigler" made a comment to your entry?

Speaking of his other books, the sequel to Infected, "Contagious" will be out Dec. 30th, he's going on a booksigning tour after wards, I'm hoping to meet him and get a book signed, even if it means I can't read it on the Kindle.

As for Saul, the person who suggested him told me I should read "Suffer the Children" which isn't Kindlized :(

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mikuto said:
As for Saul, the person who suggested him told me I should read "Suffer the Children" which isn't Kindlized :(
I remember that book. Not that I remember-remember it. I can't remember the books I read last week.

I have a terrible memory. It helps when watching a movie a second time, since I can never remember how it ended. ;D

·
Registered
835 Posts
Thanks for these titles. I'm reading The Stand. It's my first horror genre book ever. (I'm a 'fraidy cat!) The Stand is sooooooo good I'm deliberately dragging it out so it won't end. I'll be getting samples of these books and hope that we get some bargain prices - especially on that Infected which sounds totally creepy!

G

·
Besides Swan Song, Robert McCammon also wrote a terrific novel about moder-day vampires declaring war on L.A. called They Thirst. *thumb up*

G

·
kreelanwarrior said:
I loved a lot of Robert McCammon's stuff, but only one of his titles - the Queen of Bedlam - is on the Kindle (but I haven't read that one)...
Ditto. Got the sample but haven't read it yet.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I recall loving these two books.... I no longer have them, and alas, they are not Kindleized yet, either.....

G

·
^^^ I seem to recall reading an early Simmons book and liking it.  This would have been around 1979.  Don't remember the book, and not able to look it up easily at work.

But like Quasimodo, the name rings a bell.

G

·
LuckyRainbow said:
Kinda hard to read the sample, when I monopolize the Kindle.......mwwwahhhahaha
Someday... some way... I will finish the Martin books we own (of course, there are two more coming) and I'll get my chance at the reading computer machine!

1 - 20 of 757 Posts