Kindle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Scathach said:
Can anyone recommend any good zombie, contagion/plague-based, or apocalyptic styled horror? Just downloaded Infected and loving it so far. I tend to like the survival horror genre I guess, not so much of the supernatural stuff (okay zombies don't count, zombies tend to have a different feel to them then other monster/supernatural based books). I have been having a very "its the end of the world as we know it" week... aka finals are next week :D
I second Jim's mention of Night Boat - that one's excellent. Swan Song is another excellent choice (quite a bit longer). Again, neither appears to be on Kindle (yet).

Another one that I read a long time ago is The Keep. But not on Kindle, either. D'oh!

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
pidgeon92 said:
On the other hand, there are several movie scenes that stand out:

The original The Blob, when it crawls up the old man's arm.
Me, too - reading scary stories hasn't ever frightened me, but when I was a kid The Blob really got me. I used to stay up late on Friday and Saturday nights and watch the scary movies they used to run, like The Abominable Dr. Phibes (ahh, the good old days!). The Blob was one of the ones they aired, and it scared the snot out of me - same scene, in particular, as pidgeon92.

The other movie that got me was the original Alien. I was in high school, and a friend and I went to see it. Both of us couldn't get to sleep that night, cowering in my room! :eek:

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Jesslyn said:
If you like McCammon, you've got to read Stinger (*shivers*). Also other fav from him is The Wolfs Hour, but not sure that qualifies as a horror story
Yes! Stinger is one of my all-time favorites. I read the Wolf's Hour a long time ago, and that was excellent, too - a very different take on the werewolf theme.

And Salem's Lot is required reading for all horror fans! ;D

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Sorry, Jim, but we're not entirely compatible! ;D

Salem's Lot and the Foundation series (which I haven't read in ages, but remember enjoying tremendously) are the only ones I'm with ya on, I think because my tastes run into a very eclectic mix (mess?) of sci-fi (particularly military sci-fi), horror, and military fiction. Gack!

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Bacardi Jim said:
Also, since you say you like military SF, how do you feel about military fantasy? You might want to check out Raymond Feist's Serpentwar Saga.. It starts out stealing directly from The Dirty Dozen, but turns into a pretty decent epic series.
Hmm, don't think I've actually tried military fantasy, but looks like none of those are in the Kindle Store yet. :(

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Betsy the Quilter said:
The only book that I vividly remember being scared by was The Exorcist. I was reading it in my room at my parent's house, couldn't put it down, it was wayyyy late and there was a wind and branches started tapping on the windows. I think I threw the book down, pulled the covers entirely over my head and left the light on.

Betsy
Umm, that one was scary enough that I never even *tried* to read it! :eek:

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Linda Cannon-Mott said:
I got a sample of Infected today. I don't normally read horror but this sounds so good, can't wait to read the sample. I don't think if I hadn't gotten a Kindle and found Kindleboards I ever would have chosen some of the books I've read and to my surprise enjoyed.
I just downloaded the sample. I enjoy a good horror story, although I haven't read all that much of them lately...

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Barker, yes!

Also, I can't remember now if someone had already mentioned this (if so, my apologies), but H.P. Lovecraft! There are several books, here's just one:

One of my long-ago favorites was The Call of Cthulhu. I put this book on my sample list - it would be nice to revisit Lovecraft's worlds...in a scary sort of way! ;D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts