Kindle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
I've been singing the praises of Scott Sigler's Infected since before I finished it, it's sort of sci-fi, sort of action, but most definitely horrific.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Well if you're going to mention Lovecraft then I have to mention Poe! One of my favorite "horror story" memories is reading The Masque of the Red Death for the first time and getting chills up and down my arms.

I guess I'm a little narrowly read compared to you guys, cause I can't think of many other examples of the horror genre even though it's one of my favorites.

I was told that John Saul is good though.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Wasn't WWZ fantastic? By the time I was done with it I was saying "Get me Ken Burns! This needs to be a documentary!" Infected is pretty film-worthy too, but as far as I know the only one ACTUALLY in production is WWZ.

Not by Ken Burns though, I'm sure. Though he'd be perfect for it.

·
Registered
788 Posts
pidgeon92 said:
I loved Infected. I picked it up from the library earlier this year. What a great voice the writer has. I have been meaning to look up more of his stuff.
Wanna know something weird? I raved about his book in my blog and he commented to it. How weird is it to get a message notification that "ScottSigler" made a comment to your entry?

Speaking of his other books, the sequel to Infected, "Contagious" will be out Dec. 30th, he's going on a booksigning tour after wards, I'm hoping to meet him and get a book signed, even if it means I can't read it on the Kindle.

As for Saul, the person who suggested him told me I should read "Suffer the Children" which isn't Kindlized :(

·
Registered
788 Posts
We need to do something about the lack of Horror Fiction on the Kindle! Horror Fans Unite! Write publishers!

·
Registered
788 Posts
Mm. I don't mean just zombie fiction. Horror in general. 88,398 books in fiction, only 2,072 of them are horror.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Cemetery Dance looks pretty neat, too bad they have no intention of publishing for Kindle, I'd download it in a heartbeat, I love reading Asimov's SciFi magazine on the Kindle...

Maybe we should e-mail them and tell them that we're very interested in an e-version of it?

·
Registered
788 Posts
Suzanne said:
Just out of curiosity, what is the scariest book you have ever read? What scared the wits out of you? I'm reading my first Horror genre book ever, which is The Stand. There was one very rough scene that I've read so far (I'm about 2/3 the way through), but other than that I do not find it a particularly scary book. As far as getting the wits scared out of me really & truly, that would have to be watching the movie, The Exorcist. I would never in a million worlds watch that again.
You'll probably not believe me on this, but I don't actually get scared. I don't read horror novels because I find them scary, but rather that I enjoy the macabre and find it interesting. I get grossed out (only occasionally) startled by loud noises, but I'm never frightened. The last time I remember truly being scared is when I was a very small child, reading one of the Scary Stories to Tell In the Dark illustrated by Stephen Gammell. His drawings were surreal, creepy, and really not appropriate for most children my age. There were two stories, one about spiders (I won't go into detail) and one about Bloody Mary. The first made me sleep with my head under my blankets, and the second I had to actually tape the pages that the story was on together, because it freaked me out so much.

But that was a very long time ago. Haven't been scared since.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I would disagree about subtitles. I prefer Japanese horror movies to American ones, and can't stand remakes. I watched the original and remake of Ringu back to back, as well as with Dark Water, and the originals are just superior.

But I read very very fast and have a rudimentary understand of the Japanese language, something which I know isn't true for everyone.

The Sixth Sense was a huge disappointment to me. After the first scene I had figured out the "big surprising twist" :( In fact, Signs was the only M. Night movie that wasn't a big let down for me, mostly because there wasn't a big secret twist at the end that was supposed to surprise you...not much surprises me either :(

·
Registered
788 Posts
pidgeon92 said:
Just read some new info about Scott Sigler's new book, Contagious, on BoingBoing. He's doing some sort of internet treasure hunt. Pre-orders of the Kindle version are at $9.99 on Amazon. Looks like the release date is 12/30/08.

Edit: Sorry for the double post.
Huh, neat. I'll probably get the DTB version though, he'll be signing books at a store not 5 minutes away from me on January 3rd.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Oooh, the remake of The Fly was an awesome movie. When he starts falling apart and
peels of his fingernails
it always grossed me out!

·
Registered
788 Posts
That "Birds" Barbie is FANTASTIC! I would love one of those! :D

·
Registered
788 Posts
Scathach said:
eeek chicken scissors... (ugh that scene!)
Chicken Scissors didn't get me. The Kitchen Stove got me. Chicken Scissors was horrific, but the Kitchen Stove scene had me squirming in my seat.

·
Registered
788 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts