Kindle Forum banner
21 - 40 of 757 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,696 Posts
I am almost finished with this spooky book by Joe Hill, called Heart Shaped Box. I think it is
very well written, a little reminiscent of early King, but in a good way. I think I actually found it while checking
out King's new book of short stories. It has a very unique premise and I am anxious to finish it... :D

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
One of my favorites (not Kindlized yet though) is "The Wolf's Hour" by Robert McCammon (previously mentioned).  Great epic story about a werewolf during WWII.

I like his earlier works (also not Kindlized yet, drat!) but Brian Lumley has some of his newer stuff for the Kindle.  Check out "Invaders", "Defilers", and "Avengers".  Interesting vampire books with the addition of the Necroscope, who can speak to the dead.

Still new and haven't gotten the links down yet.  ???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
157 Posts
Can anyone recommend any good zombie, contagion/plague-based, or apocalyptic styled horror?  Just downloaded Infected and loving it so far.  I tend to like the survival horror genre I guess, not so much of the supernatural stuff (okay zombies don't count, zombies tend to have a different feel to them then other monster/supernatural based books).  I have been having a very "its the end of the world as we know it" week... aka finals are next week :D
 
G

·
Scathach said:
Can anyone recommend any good zombie, contagion/plague-based, or apocalyptic styled horror? Just downloaded Infected and loving it so far. I tend to like the survival horror genre I guess, not so much of the supernatural stuff (okay zombies don't count, zombies tend to have a different feel to them then other monster/supernatural based books). I have been having a very "its the end of the world as we know it" week... aka finals are next week :D


Also Richard Matheson's I am Legend. (Not on Kindle.)
 
G

·
Also, Robert McCammon wrote a zombie book, Night Boat, in which a WWII German submarine crewed by Nazi zombies rises from the depths of the modern-day Atlantic. I haven't read it, but it is Robert McCammon. ;)

Also not on Kindle.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
788 Posts
We need to do something about the lack of Horror Fiction on the Kindle! Horror Fans Unite! Write publishers!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
788 Posts
Mm. I don't mean just zombie fiction. Horror in general. 88,398 books in fiction, only 2,072 of them are horror.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
63,459 Posts
Mikuto said:
Mm. I don't mean just zombie fiction. Horror in general. 88,398 books in fiction, only 2,072 of them are horror.
I would bet some of the other 86,326 books are horrors. ;D

Betsy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,748 Posts
Scathach said:
Can anyone recommend any good zombie, contagion/plague-based, or apocalyptic styled horror? Just downloaded Infected and loving it so far. I tend to like the survival horror genre I guess, not so much of the supernatural stuff (okay zombies don't count, zombies tend to have a different feel to them then other monster/supernatural based books). I have been having a very "its the end of the world as we know it" week... aka finals are next week :D
I second Jim's mention of Night Boat - that one's excellent. Swan Song is another excellent choice (quite a bit longer). Again, neither appears to be on Kindle (yet).

Another one that I read a long time ago is The Keep. But not on Kindle, either. D'oh!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
The last zombie thing I read, not on the Kindle, obviously, was the Walking Dead graphic novels. The last one, book 9, doesn't come out until the end of January.... Fortunately, they had the first eight at my local library.... I thought they were pretty good.



I finished this book (also from the library, not available for Kindle) last week:



It's about a super-rabies outbreak, that may have been a bio-terror test initially. A little choppy, with a lot of victims, but a quick read. The ending was rather abrupt.
 
G

·
kreelanwarrior said:
I second Jim's mention of Night Boat - that one's excellent. Swan Song is another excellent choice (quite a bit longer). Again, neither appears to be on Kindle (yet).

Another one that I read a long time ago is The Keep. But not on Kindle, either. D'oh!
Plus, The Keep is about a vampire (more or less) and not zombies.

That being said, the Adversary Cycle as a whole (six books) definitely has an apocalyptic story arc, with Mankind coming very close to being wiped out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
399 Posts
jmiked said:
...Does F. Paul Wilson's Repairman Jack series count as horror? I like those a lot. I don't think any of these are on Kindle, either.
Actually, several of his Repairman Jack series are on Kindle, but not the whole series, yet. His latest:

By The Sword (no image available)

is still a bit pricey at $15.42, although it has come down a bit. Kinda slowly dropping, compared to others.

Bacardi Jim said:
Plus, The Keep is about a vampire (more or less) and not zombies.

That being said, the Adversary Cycle as a whole (six books) definitely has an apocalyptic story arc, with Mankind coming very close to being wiped out.
For those who don't know, Repairman Jack is introduced in the Adversary Cycle (The Tomb) and is an off-shoot of that series.

I'm also a Bentley Little fan. I've liked most of his books. His latest:



is also a pretty good read. And if any of you belong to a Home Owners Association, then Little's "The Association" (not yet on Kindle) is a MUST read. ;)
 
G

·
I am getting the new RJ in DTB format for Xmas. It's already here, but I promised to wait until Xmas to start reading it. Not an easy promise to keep!

Also, for those interested in the books, be aware that The Tomb has recently been re-titled Rakoshi. In order, the Adversary Cycle is:
The Keep
The Tomb/Rakoshi
The Touch
Reborn
Reprisal
Nightworld

To find out more about these books and the Repairman Jack spinoff series, go to www.repairmanjack.com
 
21 - 40 of 757 Posts
Top