Kindle Forum banner
41 - 60 of 757 Posts
G

·
kreelanwarrior said:
Yeah, I'd forgotten about that: the movie certainly did inhale mightily on the Movie Suck-O-Meter!
Hard to believe that Michael Mann went on to become an accomplished and successful director.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Bacardi Jim said:
I am getting the new RJ in DTB format for Xmas. It's already here, but I promised to wait until Xmas to start reading it. Not an easy promise to keep!...
In the FWIW category, By the Sword supposedly relates back to his WWII book, "Black Wind", due to be re-released in March, 09. A good read in its own rights.
The sword in the title is a katana that was first introduced in "Black Wind". "By the Sword" also brings us fairly up-to-date with some of RJ's actions in "Nightworld".

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
Another horror novel (or horror/fantasy novel) I'd recommend is Ray Bradbury's Something Wicked This Way Comes. I've read this several times as a DTB, and am waiting for it to surface as a Kindle book.

It was made into a tolerable movie.

In a similar vein, I liked Charles Finney's The Circus of Dr. Lao (also made into a so-so movie).

Mike

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
jmiked said:
Another horror novel (or horror/fantasy novel) I'd recommend is Ray Bradbury's Something Wicked This Way Comes. I've read this several times as a DTB, and am waiting for it to surface as a Kindle book.
Ray Bradbury is one of the finest authors of our time..... He spent some time growing up here in Waukegan, and my neighbor owns a beautiful old mirror that used to be in a soda shop in town that he wrote about in one of his books, I can't recall which one.

G

·
MikeD said:
In the FWIW category, By the Sword supposedly relates back to his WWII book, "Black Wind", due to be re-released in March, 09. A good read in its own rights.
The sword in the title is a katana that was first introduced in "Black Wind". "By the Sword" also brings us fairly up-to-date with some of RJ's actions in "Nightworld".
LR has read the Adversary Cycle but not the other RJ books. I've been telling her for a couple of years now that by the time Wilson is done with RJ, he will have to completely re-write Nightworld. I mean, RJ now knows
all about Rasalom and Glaeken.

I haven't read Black Wind. Nice to know it's being re-released so I'll finally get the chance.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Octochick said:
I am almost finished with this spooky book by Joe Hill, called Heart Shaped Box. I think it is
very well written, a little reminiscent of early King, but in a good way. I think I actually found it while checking
out King's new book of short stories. It has a very unique premise and I am anxious to finish it... :D

Do you know his full name? Joseph Hillstrom King. It's a great book and I'm not surprised that he reminds you of his dad.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I'll nominate Shirley Jackson who wrote The Lottery and The Haunting of Hill House, neither of which are available on Kindle. Drat!

G

·
Scathach said:
Can anyone recommend any good zombie, contagion/plague-based, or apocalyptic styled horror? Just downloaded Infected and loving it so far. I tend to like the survival horror genre I guess, not so much of the supernatural stuff (okay zombies don't count, zombies tend to have a different feel to them then other monster/supernatural based books). I have been having a very "its the end of the world as we know it" week... aka finals are next week :D
There is also The Stand by Stephen King. It is on kindle and while not a zombie book, it is a survival following a massive plague book.

G

·
LuckyRainbow said:
There is also The Stand by Stephen King. It is on kindle and while not a zombie book, it is a survival following a massive plague book.
I considered this one, but discounted it as Scathach specifically said "not supernatural." And there are no zombies in it.

But it is "apocalyptic." And I LOVE YOU! :)

·
Registered
157 Posts
Thanks for the recs all put a bunch of stuff on my wishlist to try out.  I need to throw The Stand on my kindle, I read it when I was a teen and I remember loving it.  I also remember by the time I got done reading the paperback version it was nearly falling apart, that book was so thick and cumbersome I never went back to reading it, how I know its on the Kindle I am so putting it on to re-read!

G

·
Mike: I just read about Black Wind on Wilson's site. I found this comment (Wilson talking about the book) intriguing: "I'm very proud of BLACK WIND. Looking at it in terms of character development and sweeping plot, it's probably my most accomplished work."

Makes me excited for the re-release. Unfortunately, it looks like it's going to be one of those wildly expensive special editions only available from Borderland Press. :(

·
Registered
399 Posts
Bacardi Jim said:
Mike: I just read about Black Wind on Wilson's site. I found this comment (Wilson talking about the book) intriguing: "I'm very proud of BLACK WIND. Looking at it in terms of character development and sweeping plot, it's probably my most accomplished work."

Makes me excited for the re-release. Unfortunately, it looks like it's going to be one of those wildly expensive special editions only available from Borderland Press. :(
It is an excellent book. "Black Wind" and "The Keep" are the two books that hooked me on Wilson. But Amazon shows a PB edition being published and available on 3/4/09 @ $7.99. I'm sure (I hope) that a Kindle version will follow. I'd like to re-read it, but my current copy is a signed 1ed....

No ASIN yet so I can't use Harvey's link-maker, but here is a regular link: Black Wind PB
(if a mod can come in here and fix the link to give the site credit without the ASIN, please do). done! BTW, you can also use the ISBN-10 if there is no ASIN. --Betsy

G

·
I'll keep my fingers crossed.  On his site, Wilson specifically says that the book is going to be expensive, and the pre-order link takes you to Borderland.  Thus my trepidation.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
MikeD said:
No ASIN yet so I can't use Harvey's link-maker, but here is a regular link: Black Wind PB (if a mod can come in here and fix the link to give the site credit without the ASIN, please do).
FYI: you can use the ISBN in the link maker as well..... I borrowed the picture from the original hardcover.

G

·
^^^ On the other hand, Borderland also does special editions of Wilson books that are also released in regular format.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed, since Amazon claims they are getting a PB version in March.  No way we're spending $100 or $350 for it.

·
Registered
399 Posts
FWIW (from LR's link):

Though considered by Wilson to be his best novel, Black Wind has been out of print for more than a decade. Borderlands Press will remedy that with a special new edition to be published in 2006.
Note the bold. I think that is older news. At least, I hope so.

Amazon doesn't usually allow a book to be pre-ordered, as they are the PB version of "Black Wind", unless they are relatively sure that it is to be published. So I'm hopeful. ;)

41 - 60 of 757 Posts