Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I won an Amazon gift card, which I'd like to spend on some indie books. The good indie authors I know tend to circle around and sometimes it's just hard to find new quality indies without fresh set of eyes.

So, do you have a great indie YA paranormal/urban fantasy read to recommend? Please NO Twilight copies. I've tried to search some random books, and in almost every review it says "reminded me of Twilight" guh...

I don't mind if it's your own book you're suggesting, as long as it's from the right genres and it has some objective reviews I can check out.

edit -- please do NOT recommend your own work as that is considered self-promotion and not allowed in the Book Corner. Thanks -- Ann

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Well, first of all, if we suggest our own books on this thread, we will be moved or deleted off the thread, so you're not likely to get any self-recs!

I loved:

John Lenahan's Shadowmagic (he was with a small publisher and that publisher was bought by a large publisher.)

YA, ... oh, let me go check my list.  The authors coming to mind are Vivian Vande Velde and more traditional published works...

·
Registered
632 Posts
There's a cheapy from here on the boards that I liked, called Demon Girl.  It's kind of a mix of paranormal and post-apocalyptic.  It has a LOT of British slang in it, though, so it might be tough for someone who doesn't read UK books a lot.  The author is Penelope Fletcher.

Have you read Amanda Hocking?  Her Trylle Trilogy is great, if you don't mind some proof errors in the first book.  Honestly, the first book wasn't my favorite (although several people have disagreed with me), but the second two MORE than make up for it.  I really liked that series, overall.  Gave the first book 3 stars though.

(Non-Indie)If you like Meg Cabot, I recommend the Mediator series.  Kick Butt heroine and NO vampires!  Yay!  Plus they are pretty funny.  They are typical Meg Cabot, though, so that's why I said, if you like her.
(Non-Indie)Paranormalcy by Kierstan White was enjoyable.  It does have vampires, but they are more like the ones we used to have before Twilight came around.  She JUST released the sequel, too.  (Or maybe it's pre-order, I can't remember).  The main character is also kick butt. :)  I like strong female characters.
(Non-Indie)Evermore by Alyson Noel was a great read.  I really appreciated the main character and what she was going through.  She's not as kick butt as the others, but she is definitely a character you can love.

I'll try to think of more to put on here.  I've been trying to read more of those myself. Obviously these are my opinion, but YA is kinda my obsession, you might say, so you can trust that I've actually READ all of these. :)  None of them have vampires that are annoying, I promise!  :)

·
Registered
632 Posts
Oh, I just thought of another Indie!  Marked, by Kim Richardson.  I read that one a while ago, so that's probably why I forgot it, but that one was soooo interesting, and the author has a sequel coming out in the fall, I think!  
Gifts of the Blood by Vicki Keire was good.  No Vampires.  Liked the twists in this story.

Both of those are cheap indies.

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Michelle Scott - Dragons of Hazlett. I got the ebook off the publisher site; don't know if it is for sale from Amazon. It's a very small publisher. Good fantasy read although it isn't billed as YA, I thought it was!

Michelle Scott also has (she did as an indie):

http://www.amazon.com/Blood-Sisters-ebook/dp/B004FGLLSA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1307206847&sr=8-2

Which is a YA vamp story. I haven't read that one.

One of my favorite fantasy books, very YA safe with a good mix of an adult wizard and YA apprentice:

Wistril Compleat by Frank Tuttle. Loved this read!!!

·
Registered
482 Posts
Meant to Be by Tiffany King. No vampires...can't give away the gist without "spoiling"...

YA paranormal NOT like Twilight...

.99 cent title! I love those.

Sam I Am was also pretty good *witches* but I was interested in the familial angle, it seemed more grounded and different. Cheap title!

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I like

Imogen Rose-scifi and paranormal
Rhiannon Frater-horror zombies and vamos
Michael Sullivan-fantasy
Katie Salidas-vamps
Of course, me:)-shifters, historical romance...later angels and mermaids.

I tried amanda Hocking...but her Blood Approves is just Twilight rip-off. Trylle is not bad.

AH! Someone truly awesome I found yesterday. I swear she is the next big thing if she ever finishes her work. Her book is called My Dark Love...(I'm a Vampire So What) but she has tones of books of other genres you can find on scribd!

ALI MAC is her name! Fabulous! Ya though.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you all for the suggestions! Most of them I already had though. :)

For those interested, I chose these:

Released by Megan Duncan
Illicit Magic by Camilla Chafer
Shelter by Tara Shuler
Guardian by Elita Daniels
Vampire Assassin by Samantha Warren
Shaman, Healer, Heretic by M. Terry Green
Portal by Imogen Rose
The Soulkeepers by G.P. Ching
Ethereal by Addison Moore
Marked by Kim Richardson

·
Registered
632 Posts
Katja said:
Thank you all for the suggestions! Most of them I already had though. :)

For those interested, I chose these:

Released by Megan Duncan
Illicit Magic by Camilla Chafer
Shelter by Tara Shuler
Guardian by Elita Daniels
Vampire Assassin by Samantha Warren
Shaman, Healer, Heretic by M. Terry Green
Portal by Imogen Rose
The Soulkeepers by G.P. Ching
Ethereal by Addison Moore
Marked by Kim Richardson
Let us know what you thought, because some of those I haven't read yet, and hadn't heard anything about! Enjoy your TBR pile. :)

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Most have already mentioned good books. Don't forget another indie.

Tina Folsom - Scanguards Vampire series.

*Edit* I just realized you mentioned YA. Sorry, Tina's would be Adult, and very sexy.  :p

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
kCopeseeley said:
Let us know what you thought, because some of those I haven't read yet, and hadn't heard anything about! Enjoy your TBR pile. :)
I will! I did pick your other suggestion (Demon Girl) also, but it was a free book, so didn't include it in the list. :)

Katie Salidas said:
*Edit* I just realized you mentioned YA. Sorry, Tina's would be Adult, and very sexy. :p
I do read adult also, but been in a YA mood lately. :) I put the one you mentioned in my wish list though, since it does seem worth to read.

·
Registered
733 Posts
The Trylle Trilogy by Amanda Hocking is good, as is Hollowlands. Imogen Rose has some good books out, and I enjoyed Cidney Swanson's RIPPLER recently. Most of the YA books I've read otherwise lately haven't been Indie, those I mentioned stood out. :)

·
Super Moderator
67,346 Posts
Reminder:  This thread is in the book corner so you may not promote your own work.  Such posts will be edited or deleted.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Thanks Katja for making this post. My hand is cramping from writing down so many titles. I'm SO excited. I'm a paranormal romance YA junkie in a very epic way. lol.

I second that Amanda Hocking's Hollowland was really good. But unlike others, I only like the first two of her Switched trilogy. Those are the only titles I can comment on as of yet, but like I said, I've written down so many other ones to look up now.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts