Kindle Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning. I use the Libby App to check out books from my local library directly to my iPad.  The books are checked out for 21 days and automatically returned after the time is up unless I renew. I copy the books to my Kindle through Amazon so I  now have the book in both the iPad and Kindle. When my time is up the book leaves the iPad automatically. The book still resides in the Kindle. This is not consistent. My current read is still on Kindle two weeks after it departed the iPad, others have been deleted from Kindle. Thoughts?  :D

·
Super Moderator
67,323 Posts
I don't use Libby as I prefer to read on my eInk kindles vs a tablet or phone. And I don't have any fruit based technology. :)

That said: I have noticed that when I borrow from the library -- via Amazon if there's a kindle compatible file* -- I can specify which kindles to send it to. When I finish reading it, I can, theoretically, return it to the library direct from the kindle (any of the devices to which it's been sent). When I do, it definitely is removed from that device as well as any other kindle devices I had sent it to. On each device I get a 'letter' that says it's been returned. And it HAS been returned per the Amazon devices and content page, BUT, often, if I go to the library website, it will still show as loaned out to me. Now this isn't a problem for ME. BUT I like to return early if I finish early so that the next person in line can get it sooner. So I try to remember to do that.

If the loan simply expires -- which happens sometimes if it's non-fiction I've borrowed as I find I don't read those as fast -- it will just disappear from the kindles and it's gone from both my Amazon account and the library site shows it's returned. I do generally get an email a couple of days ahead saying that the loan will expire soon.

I suspect borrowing via Libby is a separate operation -- even though it's connected to the same book/library -- and that's why, if you return via Libby, it doesn't register as returned on kindles.

*if the only option is an ePub file, I return the book immediately. I only read on kindle and ePub isn't compatible. Sometimes, with a relatively new release, I know there's a possibility that the publisher will release a kindle file for libraries after it's been out a while. In such cases, it was probably on hold anyway, so I just put it back on hold after returning in the hope that a kindle file will eventually be available. There's nothing I want to read that badly that I can't wait. And if there is NEVER a kindle file available to borrow or at a reasonable price to buy, I'll likely never read it. That's just me: YMMV. :D

1 - 2 of 2 Posts