Kindle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if I can read public library books on my kindle? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Depends on your library. Mine belongs to NetLibrary, who does not offer a format the Kindle can use. I think some others here have mentioned another e-Library that their system belongs that works.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
libros_lego said:
Does anyone know if I can read public library books on my kindle? Thanks.
If your library offers mobipocket ebooks, there is a way to make them compatible with the Kindle. You download them from the library ebook site and they automatically expire after 2 or 3 weeks or whatever your libraries lending period is. However, I have heard that there is some recent legal controversy about converting the books for Kindle even though it doesn't change anything about the book. It still expires when the lending period is over. Until these legal issues are worked out, I will stay away from it.

I hope they get these DRM laws worked out. I know they are intended to prevent abusers (like the ebay seller who sell SD cards with questionable books on them.) But I'm just a lady who wants to read a book on my Kindle and then delete it when it expires. I'm not mass producing them for distribution. There must be some middle ground.

·
Registered
130 Posts
The legal wranglings DD mentioned had to do with the POSTING of information on how to obtain the PID for the Kindle, not in actually using the library books themselves.  Amazon is contending that the PID is proprietary info (in my mind rubbish as it's derived from the serial number).

I'm someone who would never strip DRM from a book, as I believe in intellectual property rights.  However, I have no ethical problem decoding the PID and using it to read library books with the DRM intact.  Amazon didn't have any problem with decoding the PID before they released the iPod application, and there were even links on their Kindle boards to the information - my feeling is they're concerned about those who will use the PID to strip the DRM amongst the iPod community, rather than the Kindlers, but went after a site posting the instructions for PID decoding to keep it out of the hands of the iPoders.  Silly, since it's still available elsewhere.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts