Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When will we be able to check out Kindle books from the library?

The libraries in my area offer ebooks, supported on just about every device EXCEPT the Kindle.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
63,461 Posts
Veronica said:
When will we be able to check out Kindle books from the library?

The libraries in my area offer ebooks, supported on just about every device EXCEPT the Kindle.
It's a good question. I believe it will happen, but Kindle owners need to become squeaky wheels. Ask your library. Often. Ask Amazon. Often.

In business, the squeaking wheel gets the grease.

Betsy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
433 Posts
I just spoke to a librarian at "Ask a librarian." I guess my library was closed. She said my library used to have ebooks but doesn't now. She suggested it might be a funding problem. She's going to submit our chat to my library and they'll email me an answer. I'll share if I learn anything.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,209 Posts
Some people can check out ebooks from their library, mostly using the kindlefix.py program, I think.  It has to be the right format, etc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
860 Posts
Where I live there isn't a library which is a huge reaso ;Dn I wanted a Kindle.  If I could get ebooks from another library that would be fabulous! :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,163 Posts
My library has Mobi. files for check out but I think the DRM are attached...and I know that it deletes itself after three weeks. I haven't tried it, but I'm afraid to try.
 
G

·
Give it a shot VA.  Just be sure to DL the book on a fresh SD card so if anything happens it probably wont hurt your Kindle memory.  :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,897 Posts
I download books from the Denver Public Library in mobi format frequently when my book budget for the month is used up. You download them to your PC. Then you have to run a script on them to convert to Kindle format. You can find out how to do this in the Mobile Read forums. It's a bit of a learning process the first time, but after that no big deal. The books stay DRM'd and "expire" in whatever time the library set, but they become readable on your Kindle.

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17239
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,163 Posts
ellenoc said:
I download books from the Denver Public Library in mobi format frequently when my book budget for the month is used up. You download them to your PC. Then you have to run a script on them to convert to Kindle format. You can find out how to do this in the Mobile Read forums. It's a bit of a learning process the first time, but after that no big deal. The books stay DRM'd and "expire" in whatever time the library set, but they become readable on your Kindle.

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17239
I'm not computer savy....so running a script on files...I don't know how to do that or am not familar with it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ellenoc said:
I download books from the Denver Public Library in mobi format frequently when my book budget for the month is used up. You download them to your PC. Then you have to run a script on them to convert to Kindle format. You can find out how to do this in the Mobile Read forums. It's a bit of a learning process the first time, but after that no big deal. The books stay DRM'd and "expire" in whatever time the library set, but they become readable on your Kindle.

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17239
I tried this. I'd like to think I'm somewhat computer saavy, but no expert by any means. I spent hours and hours trying to get the python script to work. I finally got my Kindle PID, but couldn't get further than that. For my sanity, I had to give up. I'd like to blame it all on my Vista OS. It's a popular scapegoat.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,163 Posts
Veronica said:
I tried this. I'd like to think I'm somewhat computer saavy, but no expert by any means. I spent hours and hours trying to get the python script to work. I finally got my Kindle PID, but couldn't get further than that. For my sanity, I had to give up. I'd like to blame it all on my Vista OS. It's a popular scapegoat.
yep vista is a good scapegoat...people don't often ask anymore questions after you scream...mutter....or announce "I hate you Vista"
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top