Kindle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figured the UNC-CH collection, Documenting the American South (DAS), would be a good sample of library resources....and from my library so I know it best. 8)
This collection of texts (and other media) focuses on Southern history and fiction.

The main site: http://docsouth.unc.edu/browse/collections.html includes short descriptions of all the sub-collections.
Concentrations of ebooks include:
North American slave narratives
Pre-20th century southern literature
first person southern narratives (diaries, journals, autobiographies) especially from the civil war & wwi.
Oral histories (transcripts or mp3 format for audio kindlers)

Download directions

Choose the book you're interested in & follow the links (you have to wade through about 4 pages to get to the book).
Choose a collection, browse the collection, pick a title, pick a format.

Choose the html version of the full text. You can save as a .txt file & load it directly to the Kindle, or even better, Save as a webpage & use the amazon conversion service for a beautifully formatted book including hyper-linked title pages. Sorry, the illustrations don't transfer. Stanza doesn't format these very well.

Other access
You can also find this collection through the library catalog for easier browsing & access.
go to www.lib.unc.edu
Search for the author: University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Documenting the American South (Project)
Then narrow by subject area using links on the left side of the page.
Click the book's link & then click "online access" You'll get to the page that lets you choose your format. Choose html, download & convert.

This is an ongoing project, so check back for new additions if you like what you find.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Any Inglis Fletcher books in the collection?  She wrote a lot about North Carolina.  She did her research well as far as the state's history.  In Men of Albemarle, she took a lot of liberties with Mary Tudor and the uprising of the Duke of Monmouth against Charles II.  Wonderful book, though.  I'd like to read more of hers. 

1 - 4 of 4 Posts