Kindle Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You guys have convinced me, forget the library.  Thanks for all your input and for disabusing me of the notion that it could be a simple thing.  I wasn't thinking of the logistics, red tape and misconceptions about Indie writers.  I still think that they day will come when they will welcome us with open arms but that day isn't here yet and I'm not going to let them treat my book shabbily in the meantime.  Let people stand there looking at the same old books with a sad, forlorn expression.  Let their shelves stay empty.  And let the dream that I had to see my book one day at the library die as well.  You have all been very helpful and I've appreciated your spirited discussions.

·
Registered
5,749 Posts
Beatrice, I don't think any of us were saying you shouldn't do it. We were simply informing you (particularly the actual librarians themselves) as to what to expect.

If the situation at your library is as dire as you say and they truly do have the same old books and patrons wishing for new ones, then why don't you talk to one of the librarians and see what the process is like for donations. Ask them right up front whether your book will actually make it into the collection or whether it will be sold for pennies at the sale. You indicated your library is in dire financial straits and can't afford new books, so it's entirely possible they'll be happy for the donation.

We can only speak to the situation at our own libraries, or in generalities. But there are always exceptions.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts