Kindle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed many of the authors doing giveaways on Library Thing are offering the maximum number of copies: 100. I can't figure out how they'd email out all those copies, though, without A) half the emails ending up in the spam filter or B) sending them out a ton of emails. Can someone explain how it's done? (Obviously I'd like to giveaway 100 copies too! ;) )

Thanks!

Rue

·
Registered
7,648 Posts
I put all the emails in a BCC field, and don't worry about it. I'll occasionally have people email and say they didn't get a copy, so I re-send.

Honestly, I guess I just have faith the emails are going through. I probably should not.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I have a MailChimp account that I use for my LT giveaways. I copy the e-mail addressed into a Google Spreadsheet, and then I paste them into MailChimp and send. Nice for tracking how few people actually open e-mails from LT giveaways (usually around 50% for me).

·
Registered
12,235 Posts
Both Dalya and Wolfrom's systems are probably the most practical. Personally, I send every email separately (yes, it's time-consuming) because I like to address each recipient by name. I basically do a copy and paste but I occasionally like to personalize a message to a particular person.

·
Registered
7,976 Posts
Not only did I send each email individually and addressed by name, but also I PM'd each recipient on Library Thing. My PM was a congratulations for winning a review copy and an alert to watch for an email from (my email address). Half of the people PM'd me back to say they never got the book. Honestly, I think they expect the book to come to them in an email from Library Thing, and not some unknown email from an author. After all that, I got exactly ONE review from my Library Thing giveaway.

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
Dara England said:
Both Dalya and Wolfrom's systems are probably the most practical. Personally, I send every email separately (yes, it's time-consuming) because I like to address each recipient by name. I basically do a copy and paste but I occasionally like to personalize a message to a particular person.
Same here. I found I got the best results with emailing each separately. It does take some time though.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, everyone for your replies. I'm thinking that four 25 copy giveaways spread out over several weeks might work better for me.

A related question: does Library Thing notify the winners, too?

Thanks!

Rue

·
Registered
7,648 Posts
ruecole said:
Thanks, everyone for your replies. I'm thinking that four 25 copy giveaways spread out over several weeks might work better for me.

Thanks!

Rue
IT'S THE SAME PEOPLE who win all the LT giveaways.

I swear.

I've done giveaways in different genres and different pen names.

IT'S THE SAME EXACT EMAIL ADDRESSES for a good portion of them. HONEST TO BLOG.

·
Registered
12,235 Posts
ruecole said:
Yes, they receive a notification the next time they log into LT, letting them know they've won. I know because I've entered and won a few giveaways there myself.

Dalya said:
Yes, I'd say around 30 % of the people on my winners lists are the same every time. It doesn't matter to me, unless I'm giving away a book they've already won from me before. I suspect they forget what they've already got, so in those cases I don't resend the book. But I sometimes wonder if that's a mistake on my part. It's possible they're entering again because they didn't receive it when I sent it last time, thanks to a spam filter or something.

Anyway, I'm a big fan of the LT giveaways and try to keep one going pretty much all the time because it's the most effective way I've found of getting reviews. Also, it's fun to give away books to people who are actually excited to receive them and who send back nice thank-you messages. Very different from my experience with reviews via Select free promos.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dara England said:
Anyway, I'm a big fan of the LT giveaways and try to keep one going pretty much all the time because it's the most effective way I've found of getting reviews. Also, it's fun to give away books to people who are actually excited to receive them and who send back nice thank-you messages. Very different from my experience with reviews via Select free promos.
I did a small giveaway on my blog last year and it was a lot of fun (and resulted in a few nice reviews!), so it's heartening to hear LT giveaways can be the same! :)

Thanks, everyone!

Rue

·
Registered
765 Posts
Dara England said:
Dara, did LT work better than Goodreads for you in terms of % of reviews you got?

·
Registered
260 Posts
This is so timely for me, because I just finished sending out "You're a Winner!" emails!

ruecole said:
I've noticed many of the authors doing giveaways on Library Thing are offering the maximum number of copies: 100. I can't figure out how they'd email out all those copies, though, without A) half the emails ending up in the spam filter or B) sending them out a ton of emails. Can someone explain how it's done? (Obviously I'd like to giveaway 100 copies too! ;) )

Thanks!

Rue
Like Dara, I write a congratulations email, save it, then copy it as many times as needed and send out the emails separately, with each one addressed individually.

Dalya said:

I swear.

I've done giveaways in different genres and different pen names.

IT'S THE SAME EXACT EMAIL ADDRESSES for a good portion of them. HONEST TO BLOG.
I've only done two so far, but I noticed some familiar names.

I had 49 people request the first book and 47 request the second. Seven people requested both.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks!

I've got over 70 requests so far. Part of me feels like I should up my giveaway to 100 now so I can take advantage of all those requests rather than risk not getting as many next time (or all repeats!). But then I get really daunted by the idea of cut'n'pasting all those emails... :p

Good thing my giveaway doesn't end till next week. I can waffle a little longer. ;)

Rue

·
Registered
586 Posts
Just ran my second Library Thing giveaway. I was happy with the first one I did--about 75 people entered. So far, 6 new reviews.

I goofed on sending out the notification email for the second giveaway. I didn't realize LT just lists the new winners on the same page as the prior winners. I guess this happens if the giveaway is for the same book. I kept thinking the email addys looked familiar, but I'd read on this thread about the same people entering so I didn't think anything about it until I got the heading with the second set of winners. I've sent a mea culpa and hope I don't get dinged for unintentional spamming.  :-\

1 - 14 of 14 Posts