Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am I paranoid or does this sound like a scam? I recently did a LibraryThing giveaway of my novel New Hope City and issued a Smashwords coupon so that winners could get the book free.  One of the winners emailed me back telling me to send him a kindle gift instead. I told him that I couldn't do that but that he could use the Smashwords coupon. He then told me that his ereader was so old that he couldn't use smashwords with it and that the only way he could get the ebook was if I sent him a kindle gift. I immediately suspected that he was trying to scam me. I know that these kindle gifts can be used for any purchase on Amazon so I'm leery of gifting my ebook. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's a good idea. I hadn't thought of that. My brain is moving so slow today because I'm sick with the flu.  :( I just sent him an email.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
SunHi Mistwalker said:
Am I paranoid or does this sound like a scam? I recently did a LibraryThing giveaway of my novel New Hope City and issued a Smashwords coupon so that winners could get the book free. One of the winners emailed me back telling me to send him a kindle gift instead. I told him that I couldn't do that but that he could use the Smashwords coupon. He then told me that his ereader was so old that he couldn't use smashwords with it and that the only way he could get the ebook was if I sent him a kindle gift. I immediately suspected that he was trying to scam me. I know that these kindle gifts can be used for any purchase on Amazon so I'm leery of gifting my ebook. What do you guys think?
Wow, I had somebody try to pull this one on me, too (after I'd already emailed him a .zip file with all the book formats included in it). He tried to tell me some story about his "podcast reader" being too old to be able load books that way. I informed him that book 1 was free on Amazon, so he could just go ahead and download it, and that the giveaway book hadn't be published yet so there was no way I could "gift" it.

I never heard back. :p

There are some scummy people out there, unfortunately.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ChristinePope said:
Wow, I had somebody try to pull this one on me, too (after I'd already emailed him a .zip file with all the book formats included in it). He tried to tell me some story about his "podcast reader" being too old to be able load books that way. I informed him that book 1 was free on Amazon, so he could just go ahead and download it, and that the giveaway book hadn't be published yet so there was no way I could "gift" it.

I never heard back. :p

There are some scummy people out there, unfortunately.
Omg that's the same guy! I'm furious! This is the same guy who said he had a podcast reader. :mad:

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
SunHi Mistwalker said:
Omg that's the same guy! I'm furious! This is the same guy who said he had a podcast reader. :mad:
Should we report him? I doubt the LibraryThing staff would be too pleased about someone abusing their giveaways like this...

·
Registered
12,230 Posts
I've seen a couple discussions lately about giveaway winners on LT asking for Amazon gifting instead of having the file sent to them. It's possible some winners just don't know how to load books from their PC to the Kindle. I've occasionally gifted copies myself when reviewers have had problems downloading but only when I was the one to suggest it. I'd feel a little uncomfortable with someone specifically requesting Amazon gifting repeatedly. But I suppose it could be legitimate. I mean, how desperate could somebody be to scam-collect store credit $0.99 at a time, you know? Indie books are usually priced so low I wouldn't think those tiny chunks of store credit would be worth anyone's time.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ChristinePope said:
Should we report him? I doubt the LibraryThing staff would be too pleased about someone abusing their giveaways like this...
I sent a note to LibraryThing, not accusing the giveaway winner of anything, but just telling them that I won't send kindle gifts.

Dara England said:
I've seen a couple discussions lately about giveaway winners on LT asking for Amazon gifting instead of having the file sent to them. It's possible some winners just don't know how to load books from their PC to the Kindle. I've occasionally gifted copies myself when reviewers have had problems downloading but only when I was the one to suggest it. I'd feel a little uncomfortable with someone specifically requesting Amazon gifting repeatedly. But I suppose it could be legitimate. I mean, how desperate could somebody be to scam-collect store credit $0.99 at a time, you know? Indie books are usually priced so low I wouldn't think those tiny chunks of store credit would be worth anyone's time.
My ebook is $4.95, so that could be a motivating factor. My instincts told me it was a scam and his insistence felt like confirmation. Anyway, I don't feel comfortable gifting, so I just told him I couldn't do it, but that I could send him the file.

·
Registered
315 Posts
OMG, I also have the old podcast reader guy! I sent a mobi file but he said kindle-gifting is the only way he can read the book. Never heard from him after I gifted my copy to him either. Even though my ebook was only 0.99, I'm furious as well  :mad:

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Aya Ling said:
OMG, I also have the old podcast reader guy! I sent a mobi file but he said kindle-gifting is the only way he can read the book. Never heard from him after I gifted my copy to him either. Even though my ebook was only 0.99, I'm furious as well :mad:
Wow. Just wow. :-[

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Seconding the "wow." Also, I was giving two books away, so the total cost would have been close to $10 if I'd done the Kindle gift thing.

Looks like I need to send a note tomorrow to the LibraryThing folks.

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
Wait, so you can send somebody a Kindle gift book and they can return it for store credit...that's what Podcast Reader is doing?  Huh...I've never heard of this before.  That is just weird.

·
Registered
258 Posts
wow, I had this happen too. He also told me he had an old reader. I didn't think much of it, but I also didn't gift it him. Really glad I didn't now.

Jeez, it's amazing what some people will do to get a few dollars :(

·
Registered
12,230 Posts
ElHawk said:
Wait, so you can send somebody a Kindle gift book and they can return it for store credit...
Yep. If they choose not to accept the gifted book they have the option of choosing store credit for the amount instead.

·
Registered
882 Posts
ChristinePope said:
Looks like I need to send a note tomorrow to the LibraryThing folks.
Yes , there are scammers on LT; the good news is its admin does want to know about scams so they can enforce that site's rules about giveaways, etc.

Around one year ago there was a person in CA who was selling LT giveaway print copies ( as new copies, on Ammy!) -- in addition to giving bad reviews of those titles on LT.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I am so glad I said something to you guys. At first I was hesitant because I hate talking about customers in public spaces, but I just had to get an outside opinion. I'm glad I did. I'm in communication with an admin at LibraryThing and hopefully he will handle the guy.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts