Kindle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have encountered a problem of sharing archived books on all 6 kindles registered to my one account. I had decided to buy the 6 kindles to share in our family and have been loading up the kindles. One of the kindles would not down load. In speaking to the trouble center they advised me that a book can be shared on UPTO 6 kindles but that in fact some publishers limit the use to less than 6 registered Kindles. I asked how does one know of this limitation. They say it is very hard to find out even for them but was able to confirm that this was my issue. Accordingly when buying a Kindle book one may be buying only one use or to a maximum of 6. It seems to me this limitation on use needs to be known at the time of purchase or at some point it will not download. Buyers beware. Here is the official response

"The licenses associated with most books and other non-subscription content purchased from the Kindle Store allow you to download and view each item for your personal use on up to six Kindles registered to your Amazon.com account. Subscription items can only be downloaded to one Kindle.

If you register a new Kindle to your Amazon.com account, you'll be able to use the Content Manager or the Manage Your Kindle page at http://www.amazon.com/manageyourkindle to download content you've purchased from that account. You can only share content with Kindles registered to the account used for the original purchase.

For a more detailed description of the license agreement, please see the Amazon Kindle Terms of Use on our Help pages at this URL:

http://www.amazon.com/kindlesupport "

·
Registered
737 Posts
Uh oh, so much for my Kindle co-op buying idea.

At least poster can trade Kindles among family, so reader that wants to read a particular kbook can.

I bet customer support is not looking forward to the release of K3, K4, .... and this little gotcha.

What about person that receives a Kindle replacement under warranty.  Will that be two strikes against his download count?

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
What about person that receives a Kindle replacement under warranty. Will that be two strikes against his download count?
It shouldn't be. If Kindle A breaks and is replaced by Kindle B, Kindle A is then deregistered.

HarryCalgary, you really know 6 people who all like the same books? No kidding?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ah. That is good to know. I was rather counting on being able to share books among the 6 of us in my family... good to know ahead of time it may not always work out that way.

I know Harry Potter is not available on Kindle (yet!), but when the last HP book came out, I had to buy 3 copies so my two older kids and I could read at the same time. One of the biggest draws of the Kindle, to me, is the ability to share books... makes it easier to think about (eventually) spending the $ on *6* Kindles!

I'm a new owner... I had assumed that there would be something like folders/tags and the ability to limit which Kindles could access which content... seems that may not the the case either, but maybe something down the line with software updates? I guess I can understand why it might not be beneficial for the company to make sharing books too convenient, though.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
As far as I know, you can share books on your account between kindles on your account.  But I wouldn't be the person to ask there.  I live alone.  My split personalities, therefore, just inhabit one place, and they can all use the same kindle.  So there's generally no need to download a book more than one time.  And, probably a good thing to keep in the back of your mind is that companies like profit, and lots of it, so you are correct:  there's no benefit to a publishing company to make an ebook completely sharable like a library book.

(On a related note, my mom asked the other day if Amazon had some sort of program for kindle where you could buy used ebooks.  I boggled over that for more than an hour, then called my brother, and he's STILL boggling over the idea of used ebooks.  Every time we think she's going to join us in the 21st century.....But I digress.)

There are other threads around the board (try the tips/tricks/troubleshooting forum) that discuss how to share between kindles on different account, I think.

And strangely, not a single person has mentioned that the whole book sharing/drm/account management discussion is extremely reminiscent of the Book 2.0 plotline in the Thursday Next books.

I feel so alone.

·
Registered
737 Posts
robin.goodfellow said:
(On a related note, my mom asked the other day if Amazon had some sort of program for kindle where you could buy used ebooks. I boggled over that for more than an hour, then called my brother, and he's STILL boggling over the idea of used ebooks. Every time we think she's going to join us in the 21st century.....But I digress.)
I'm sure by the time I finish my first kbook, Mr Powell, powells.com, will have figured out how to buy my used kbooks. ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
"As far as I know, you can share books on your account between kindles on your account.  But I wouldn't be the person to ask there.  I live alone. "
Not necessairly it can be limited to less than 6 in my case two books were limited to 5 including new and old kindles

·
Registered
501 Posts
Wow, this is certainly unadvertised bad news!

If certain books are limited to LESS than 6 Kindles, then it should be plainly stated as such BEFORE I buy that selection! If so, that book is WORTH less, and buyers should be forewarned! Bait 'n switch?

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Amazon should put this limitation on the book description.

Since it is up to the publisher, if you come across this situation you should definitely let the publisher know how you feel about it.

·
Registered
116 Posts
davem2bits said:
What about person that receives a Kindle replacement under warranty. Will that be two strikes against his download count?
Just for clarification, there is no limit on how many times you can actually download a book from Amazon, just a limit on how many Kindles you can have on your account and how many can read a single book on at the same time. I have to admit, The Kindle would not be acceptable to me if we could only download a book once and had to back them up ourselves. Hopefully this is not something we will ever have to worry about.

I can see why people would want to this information ahead of time, and I see no reason not to have it included as part of the description of the item before you buy it. They can only do so, if the publisher provides it to them which may or may not happen. I am not going to assume what information they have other than Amazon has clearly stated that DRM restrictions are entirely up to the publisher. At the same time, I see multiple reading copies from a single purchase are really a bonus and should not be an expectation. Amazon has only stated that they can be read on up to 6 devices. You can't buy a DTB and have 6 family members all reading it at the same time. It would still have to be passed around or multiple copies purchased.

If it would mean cheaper prices for those of us that would not need 6 copies, I would be all for it. Unfortunately, this is not how it would work in reality. It would ultimately just draw more attention to the matter and end up having all books only be a single copy licence instead of giving away duplicates for free. Maybe they would allow you to buy more copies on the same account for a reduced price. That is perfectly fine for me because I really want them to sell as many books as they can to support this format and get more publishers and writers on board, not the opposite. It is a nice wish but I have learned to be careful what you wish for, I seriously doubt it would work out in favor of the consumer. Reading is still one of the cheapest entertainment options we have has consumers. Would you actually skip buying a book just because it only gave you one or two copies insetad of 6?

·
Registered
501 Posts
Arkhan said:
Would you actually skip buying a book just because it only gave you one or two copies insetad of 6?
Maybe - and if the SELLER (Amazon) doesn't TELL me before I buy, I'm not given that option. I DESERVE to know what I'm buying, BEFORE I click "Buy Now!"

And you can't compare to DTBs - you KNOW that you're getting one copy when you buy - not a box that says "UP TO 6 books contained," and then find out when you get the box home that there's only 5. "Well, we said UP TO 6, not 6 exactly!"

That's just dishonest sales tactics. And with this "new" technology, Amazon, and the publishers, don't need a black eye for misleading their customers.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I don't think Amazon tracks what you are reading but does track which Kindles you have sent a book to.  I bought a Kindle for my mother specifically so we can share books just like we did with DTBs. 

If I bought a book thinking we both could read it and could not, I would be very unhappy and complain.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts