Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was rather abruptly and unpleasantly awakened this morning by a charley-horse in my leg. When it subsided, I was awake, but I really wasn't ready to get up yet. So I propped up the pillows, picked up my Kindle (always at my side) and flipped it on to read the Sunday New York Times. Peace and quiet and 90 minutes of uninterrupted reading. It was great! I've never been able to read the paper in bed. Too messy. In fact, I don't think anybody in real life reads the paper in bed...that only happens in movies! But this morning...this could become a regular habit.

Of course, I had to put up with a mountain of grief from my husband who chastised me for "sleeping in" til 9 am. LOL

L

·
Registered
829 Posts
Leslie said:
I was rather abruptly and unpleasantly awakened this morning by a charley-horse in my leg. When it subsided, I was awake, but I really wasn't ready to get up yet. So I propped up the pillows, picked up my Kindle (always at my side) and flipped it on to read the Sunday New York Times. Peace and quiet and 90 minutes of uninterrupted reading. It was great! I've never been able to read the paper in bed. Too messy. In fact, I don't think anybody in real life reads the paper in bed...that only happens in movies! But this morning...this could become a regular habit.

Of course, I had to put up with a mountain of grief from my husband who chastised me for "sleeping in" til 9 am. LOL

L
I have yet to try a newspaper on the Kindle..... I just might have to try it! My problem is when I wake up, I usually have to visit the call of nature room and once I am up, I don't crawl back in bed. Must get the French Press loaded with coffee. :)

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Kirstin said:
I have yet to try a newspaper on the Kindle..... I just might have to try it! My problem is when I wake up, I usually have to visit the call of nature room and once I am up, I don't crawl back in bed. Must get the French Press loaded with coffee. :)
That's what I usually do...but this morning, since my leg woke me ahead of schedule (I was in the middle of a really weird dream) I wasn't really ready to get up (well, I did go to the bathroom). It was unusual for me and a very nice experience.

L

·
Registered
195 Posts
Another GREAT advantage of newspapers on Kindle -- no newsprint on your hands!

I used to read the NYT on my way into the city on Metro North every morning, and I carried wet-wipes with me, because my hands would get all full of ink, which I would then spread onto my face, my clothes, etc.

·
0 Posts
Not to mention the fact that you don't have to throw the heavy things away anymore. Makes taking out the trash a little lighter.  ;D

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've said it before and I'll say it again...reading the paper on my Kindle has to be my most pleasant surprise of owning this device. When I bought it, I was thinking "books" but I have become totally addicted to the paper.

I'm thinking I might explore a magazine subscription or two.

L

·
Super Moderator
67,245 Posts
asordu said:
Not to mention the fact that you don't have to throw the heavy things away anymore. Makes taking out the trash a little lighter. ;D
Trash!! For Shame! :eek:

We recycle ours. Or, in the winter, use them to heat the house. Seriously. Hubby will roll the newspapers up into 'logs' and we use them with regular wood in our stove. I hate to turn on the furnace. . . .

Ann

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Leslie said:
I've said it before and I'll say it again...reading the paper on my Kindle has to be my most pleasant surprise of owning this device. When I bought it, I was thinking "books" but I have become totally addicted to the paper.

I'm thinking I might explore a magazine subscription or two.

L
The magazines are so cheap per month I'm tempted to have several! I'm looking forward to Amazon having more magazines available!

Betsy

·
0 Posts
Ellery Queen and Alfred Hitchcock are great. But then, so is Analog and Asimov's. Okay, Reader's Digest is good, too.

And you don't have to burn them in the wood stove every month.  ;D

·
Registered
102 Posts
Leslie said:
But this morning...this could become a regular habit.

L
Oooo - this was my favorite part about getting a kindle. Many times I wake up really early, but don't want to get up yet so I read for awhile. I get the Seattle Times, Reader's Digest, Newsweek, and Opinionated.

I started taking a water bottle to bed with me so when I woke up thirsty in the morning, I didn't have to go downstairs for a drink.

Susan

·
Registered
42 Posts
I never liked or read newspapers before Kindle. Too messy [newsprint on my hands drives me nuts], too hard to corral all those pages and just generally ungainly. I'm on the verge of subscribing to an epaper but am having a tough time with which one. In all likelyhood it will be the NYT.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
pghaworth said:
I never liked or read newspapers before Kindle. Too messy [newsprint on my hands drives me nuts], too hard to corral all those pages and just generally ungainly. I'm on the verge of subscribing to an epaper but am having a tough time with which one. In all likelyhood it will be the NYT.
If you need an endorsement, I love my NYT subscription. Much more than I ever imagined I would.

L

·
Super Moderator
67,245 Posts
I'm partial to the Washington Post but that's because (1) I live in Arlington, VA (2) I had to learn to play Sousa's march in band.

Ann

·
Registered
42 Posts
Ann Von Hagel said:
I'm partial to the Washington Post but that's because (1) I live in Arlington, VA (2) I had to learn to play Sousa's march in band.

Ann
That's why I'm having problems deciding. I like both. I'm so confused. :D

·
Registered
829 Posts
We get the Boston Globe in paper format every day on our front mat.. and I don't even read that. <<sheepish grin>>

I do look through the coupons on Sunday - which reminds me.... I've not grabbed it today. Oops!

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
pghaworth said:
Just out of curiosity - what's your favorite part?
I find that I am pretty thorough at reading the Front Page, International, National, and Op/Ed.

I skim Business, Sports, and the Metro section.

Depending on how much time I have and what articles catch my eye, I may or may not read the special sections like Travel, Arts, Science and so on.

I like the Weddings and Celebrations on Sunday.

L

·
Registered
42 Posts
Leslie - there were quite a few negative reviews about late delivery. Have you had that problem? If I'm paying, late news won't do.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
I suppose it depends on what you mean by late.... My husband gets on the 7am train and downloads his paper at that time, it has always been ready.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts