Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pour tous mes amis qui parlent et lisent en français, j'ai trouvé un site sur Internet qui s'appelle : http://www.ebooksgratuits.com/ebooks.php

This is a decent website for all of my French-speaking members--if any--whom are interested in reading French books on their Kindle. I know there are other options like feedbooks.com and manybooks.com, but I just thought it would be nice to add another site to the collection. Oh, and it's free! Gratuit, free!

I send the books to the Kindle in PDF format, and, so far, it has worked well.

Just thought I'd share. Amusez-vous bien!

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Thanks for the link!

My daughter has been learning French and she wants a book written in the language.  I've tried looking on Amazon but didn't find anything.  I thought I would go find her one on this great link you posted - that didn't work so well, I don't know French.  I guess she'll have to go find her own book.  :)

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lotus said:
C'est trop difficile pour moi. :(
Oui, je sais que c'est difficile, mais il n'y a pas de raison que vous ne pouvez pas essayer de lire en français. Quelquefois je lire le même livre en français et en anglais. Il m'aide beaucoup ! J'espère que dans l'avenir Amazon puisse inclure le dictionnaire français (et autre langues) sur Kindle. Il serait formidable ! :)

Amusez-vous! ;D

·
Super Moderator
67,323 Posts
And, according to Babelfish, her's wheat ElLector said: (for those of us who don't read French! :D)

Yes, I know that it is difficult, but there is no reason which you cannot try to read in French. Sometimes I to read the same English and French book. It helps me much! I hope that in the future Amazon can include the French dictionary (and another languages) on Kindle. It would be formidable!

Have fun!

I'm sure the original French is more grammatical than the translated English. . . . . :D

Ann

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ann in Arlington said:
And, according to Babelfish, her's wheat ElLector said: (for those of us who don't read French! :D)

Yes, I know that it is difficult, but there is no reason which you cannot try to read in French. Sometimes I to read the same English and French book. It helps me much! I hope that in the future Amazon can include the French dictionary (and another languages) on Kindle. It would be formidable!

Have fun!

I'm sure the original French is more grammatical than the translated English. . . . . :D

Ann
Bonjour Ann,

Haha, Babelfish translated pretty well. It got the point across. Babelfish messed up on the word formidable. In French formidable (fohr-mee-dahbluh) means great. I don't think having an additional dictionary to the Kindle will cause any fear to anybody, that is, unless someone has a fear of words Logophobia or books bibliophobia. If that is so, then owning a DTB or even a Kindle may not be a good idea. :p

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
You know I cannot think of anything I want to add to my kindle (touch screen - NOT, color -NOT, etc.) but foreign language dictionaries on request would be wonderful!  French, Spanish, German, Portuguese, etc.  Thanks for the idea El I 'll add that to my wish list.  :eek:

·
Registered
599 Posts
Lotus said:
C'est trop difficile pour moi. :(
Moi aussi.

Wish the Kindle could read non-Roman characters... I'd love a Japanese-English dictionary aside from the one in the back of my textbook.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I always thought about this.  If they could provide an English Dictionary (Oxford specifically), why can't they provide the other languages as well?  Especially the Oxford ones. 

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Britt *since 1869* said:
Moi aussi.

Wish the Kindle could read non-Roman characters... I'd love a Japanese-English dictionary aside from the one in the back of my textbook.
It can read Greek, now. I believe that is a language with non-Roman characters.

It still has a long way to go, though.

·
Super Moderator
67,323 Posts
ElLector said:
I always thought about this. If they could provide an English Dictionary (Oxford specifically), why can't they provide the other languages as well? Especially the Oxford ones.
I expect it has to do with demand at this point. After all, it's only available in the US where the language is English. If they were to add other language dictionaries, I would expect Spanish to be avialble sooner than French, because that's probably the second most spoken language in the US (First most in some areas, I expect). Now, if they get a contract in Canada, a French dictionary might come along pretty quick.

Ann

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I used to take French in High School but soon switched it over to Spanish.  :-X

·
Registered
599 Posts
Kind said:
I used to take French in High School but soon switched it over to Spanish. :-X
I took four years of French in high school but when I got to college, I decided to start over with a new language (Japanese, which I love) because I didn't want to take a placement test :p

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm a native speaker of Spanish and English, but I have taken a liking to other languages as well, and one of them is French. As Jeff Bezos clearly put it, he aspires to have all books in all languages in the Kindle. How awesome would that be? I speak and read in in Spanish, French, Portuguese, and Italian, so it has been a bit laborious for me to get non-English books, especially Italian and Portuguese. I have to resort to other sites, and have them shipped from either Italy, Brazil, or Portugal. As I was trying to quench my desire to read international books on my Kindle, I thought I'd just type "portuguese", and to my surprise, I found two Portuguese books in Amazon's Kindle bookstore! Not the most famous of stories, and I'm sure I could find these books in other sites, but it has been formatted very well for the Kindle. Hey, it's a start.

http://www.amazon.com/Dom-Casmurro-Portuguese-Edition/dp/B001OQCKVQ/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&s=digital-text&qid=1237948997&sr=1-12

http://www.amazon.com/Memórias-Póstumas-Brás-Cubas-Portuguese/dp/B001NPEBMY/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&s=digital-text&qid=1237948997&sr=1-10

Now, what's next is to make...yes...Kindleboards international!

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Thanks El - I got the one book in portuguese - my portuguese is very bad, but hey maybe this will help.  Who knows maybe I can get my DH to even look at it, as I ask him a zillion questions  ;) AND .80 is not a bad price  :)

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Anju No. 469 said:
Thanks El - I got the one book in portuguese - my portuguese is very bad, but hey maybe this will help. Who knows maybe I can get my DH to even look at it, as I ask him a zillion questions ;) AND .80 is not a bad price :)
Não tem de que! Eu estou muito feliz que você vai ler um livro em português. Acho que você vai aprender muito. O idioma é muito similar ao espagnol mas também tem muitas palavras que são diferentes. Parabéns Anju!

·
Super Moderator
67,323 Posts
Babelfish did not do NEARLY as good a job in translating your Portugese!

It does not have of that! I am very happy who you go to read a book in Portuguese. I find that you go to learn very. The language is very similar to espagnol but also it has many words that are different. Anju congratulations!

Ann

1 - 20 of 44 Posts