On What Grounds by Cleo Coyle

Paranoia by Joseph Finder

Power Play by Joseph Finder

Pushing Up Bluebonnets Leann Sweeney

S is for Silence by Sue Grafton

Sliver of Truth by Lisa Unger

The Afghan by Frederick Forsyth

The Birth of Venus by Sarah Dunant

The Chopin Manuscript by Jeffery Deaver, Joseph Finder, Lee Child, Lisa Scottoline

The Copper Scroll by Joel Rosenberg

The Eye of Jade by Diane Wei Liang

The Faithful Spy by Alex Berenson

The Fifth Vial by Michael Palmer

The Last Embrace by Denise Hamilton

The Last Patriot by Brad Thor

The Last Spy Master by Gayle Lynds

The Lions of Lucerne by Brad Thor

The Mask of Atreus by A.J. Hartley

The Merlot Murders by Ellen Crosby

The Prisoner of Guantanamo by Dan Fesperman

T is for Trespass by Sue Grafton

Rules of Deception by Christopher Reich

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
That's quite a list, Avalon! The only one we have in common is The Chopin Manuscript, although there are others that sound interesting.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I've now had my Tia for a whole week!!  I've been a busy girl:
Leslie's FAQ
The Hunt Ball by Rita Mae Brown
The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents by Terry Pratchett
Nation by Terry Pratchett (about a quarter of it read)
The Princess Bride abridged by William Goldman
Standing in the Rainbow by Fanny Flagg
Crystal Singer by Anne McCaffrey
Killashandra by Anne McCaffrey
Crystal Line by Anne McCaffrey
44 Scotland Street by Alexander McCall Smith (a little more than half I'll finish today)

I'm falling behind, I keep clicking on stuff suggested here.  Y'all are a very bad influence!  8)  Like I needed any help....

Katiekat

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
1. Caught Stealing by Charlie Hutson - Mystery tesest
2. Single White Psychopath Seeks Same by Jeff Strand- Mystery
3. Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen (Book Group) - Novel
4. Storm Front by Jim Butcher - Fantasy
5. Strip for Violence by Ed Lacy - Mystery
6. Drago Descending by Greg F. Gifune - Mystery
7. Queenpin by Megan Abbot - Mystery
8. Casket for Sale (Only Used Once) by Jeff Strand - Mystery
9. Spin by Robert Charles Wilson - Science Fiction
10. The Cold Spot by Tom Piccirilli - Mystery
11. First Night Out by A.P. Fuchs (Novella) - Fantasy
12. Fetish by J.F. Gonzalez - Mystery
13. Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman by Haruki Murakami (translated from the Japanese) - Short Stories
14. Spirit House by Christopher G. Moore - Mystery
15. The Night Gardener by George P. Pelecanos - Mystery
16. Man in the Dark by Paul Auster - Novel
17. Fool Moon by Jim Butcher - Fantasy
18. Night Work by Greg F. Gifune - Mystery
19. Indignation by Philip Roth - Novel
20. The Forever War by Dexter Filkins - Journalism
21. Ghost Walk by Brian Keene - Horror
22. Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick - Science Fiction
23. In the Woods by Tana French - Mystery
24. Beware by Richard Laymon - Horror
25. The White Tiger by Avavind Adiga - Novel
26. Six Bad Things by Charlie Hutson - Mystery
27. Covenant by John Everson - Horror
28. The Eiger Sanction by Trevanian - Mystery

·
Registered
223 Posts
katiekat1066 said:
I've now had my Tia for a whole week!! I've been a busy girl:
Leslie's FAQ
The Hunt Ball by Rita Mae Brown
The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents by Terry Pratchett
Nation by Terry Pratchett (about a quarter of it read)
The Princess Bride abridged by William Goldman
Standing in the Rainbow by Fanny Flagg
Crystal Singer by Anne McCaffrey
Killashandra by Anne McCaffrey
Crystal Line by Anne McCaffrey
44 Scotland Street by Alexander McCall Smith (a little more than half I'll finish today)

I'm falling behind, I keep clicking on stuff suggested here. Y'all are a very bad influence! 8) Like I needed any help....

Katiekat
You've read all that in a WEEK???? Do you do ANYTHING ELSE?
I'm not being discouraging, I'm SUPER JEALOUS.

·
Registered
223 Posts
luvmy4brats said:
I was going to list mine, until I counted and realized I've read 114 books (the In Death series is 33 of them) since I got Edgar in March.

I didn't realize I read that much/fast.
Wow. Read two more books and you will have read exactly twice the amount of me in the same amount of time (and I read more than ANYONE I know). I think you've inspired me to start a thread.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Geemont said:
1. Caught Stealing by Charlie Hutson — Mystery tesest
2. Single White Psychopath Seeks Same by Jeff Strand— Mystery
3. Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen (Book Group) — Novel
4. Storm Front by Jim Butcher — Fantasy
5. Strip for Violence by Ed Lacy — Mystery
6. Drago Descending by Greg F. Gifune — Mystery
7. Queenpin by Megan Abbot — Mystery
8. Casket for Sale (Only Used Once) by Jeff Strand — Mystery
9. Spin by Robert Charles Wilson — Science Fiction
10. The Cold Spot by Tom Piccirilli — Mystery
11. First Night Out by A.P. Fuchs (Novella) — Fantasy
12. Fetish by J.F. Gonzalez — Mystery
13. Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman by Haruki Murakami (translated from the Japanese) — Short Stories
14. Spirit House by Christopher G. Moore — Mystery
15. The Night Gardener by George P. Pelecanos — Mystery
16. Man in the Dark by Paul Auster — Novel
17. Fool Moon by Jim Butcher — Fantasy
18. Night Work by Greg F. Gifune — Mystery
19. Indignation by Philip Roth — Novel
20. The Forever War by Dexter Filkins — Journalism
21. Ghost Walk by Brian Keene — Horror
22. Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick — Science Fiction
23. In the Woods by Tana French — Mystery
24. Beware by Richard Laymon — Horror
25. The White Tiger by Avavind Adiga — Novel
26. Six Bad Things by Charlie Hutson — Mystery
27. Covenant by John Everson — Horror
28. The Eiger Sanction by Trevanian — Mystery
We have The White Tiger in common, did not deserve Booker imo.

How were the Hutson books? I downloaded them for free, worth the time reading? And how was Water for Elephants? I have the DTV, but my sis said it was just ok.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Micdiddy said:
You've read all that in a WEEK???? Do you do ANYTHING ELSE?
I'm not being discouraging, I'm SUPER JEALOUS.
Micah, I don't have kids, I have a really boring 9 - 5 job, I'm not much of a housekeeper and this is half of my social life, so I have a lot of time to read. The average book tends to last me an entire 2-3 hours. Don't be jealous, it is very hard feeding this book a day habit, especially on my budget. This is why I got the Kindle, no more toting around 3 books at a time so that I won't run out. This is also why I loaded up on freebies but I'm still going to have to learn to hold in my urge to buy books under $5. Of course, having books available to buy on a whim is also going to be very bad for my budget. I just hope that Christmas bonuses come out on schedule this year. Sorry, end of whining! :-\

Katiekat

·
Registered
167 Posts
I'm with you on that one. I read so many books I had to budget myself. I would have listed mine but I have alittle 350 books on my Kindle since I got it in February. I am very bad! I am constantly looking up new books to download. :D

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Micdiddy said:
We have The White Tiger in common, did not deserve Booker imo.

How were the Hutson books? I downloaded them for free, worth the time reading? And how was Water for Elephants? I have the DTV, but my sis said it was just ok.
I liked The White Tiger well enough; I haven't read the other book up for the Booker this year, so can't judge if it deserved the prize or not.

The Hutson novels are great crime novels, but get rid of the free PDF versions. I download A Dangerous Man, but reviewing the HTML document after the Mobipocket Creator conversion I estimated at least a half hour or more would be required to correct the wonky formatting. The PDF may be free, but I know of no PDF that converts to the Kindle format nicely; they are the trailer trash of digital formats. The books, however, are well worth buying in any case. The first book has one of the most unsettling scenes I've read in years.

I read Water for Elephants for my book group. I'd rank it as OK too, maybe OK + if I'm feeling generous.

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
Micdiddy said:
Holy crap. Read two more books and you will have read exactly twice the amount of me in the same amount of time (and I read more than ANYONE I know). I think you've inspired me to start a thread.
I always have Edgar with me, and I always have a book going, and I do mean always. If I'm not reading one on Edgar, I'm listening to it on Mavis (my ipod). I often buy a book in both formats and jump back and forth between the 2. I have an 1+ hour drive to work (part-time) . (one of the reasons I work is to feed my habit) I read myself to sleep every night. I also counted books that I've read aloud to my kids (like the Narnia series).

Just don't ask what my house looks like. LOL! Housework is at the bottom of my priority list.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Geemont said:
I liked The White Tiger well enough; I haven't read the other book up for the Booker this year, so can't judge if it deserved the prize or not.

The Hutson novels are great crime novels, but get rid of the free PDF versions. I download A Dangerous Man, but reviewing the HTML document after the Mobipocket Creator conversion I estimated at least a half hour or more would be required to correct the wonky formatting. The PDF may be free, but I know of no PDF that converts to the Kindle format nicely; they are the trailer trash of digital formats. The books, however, are well worth buying in any case. The first book has one of the most unsettling scenes I've read in years.

I read Water for Elephants for my book group. I'd rank it as OK too, maybe OK + if I'm feeling generous.
The only other shortlisted book I read was A Fraction of the Whole, which is one of my favorite books now. I also read the longlisted Enchantress of Florence (by my favorite author, Salman Rushdie) which I also thought was better than The White Tiger.

Yeah I noticed that formatting was pretty bad, but I think I can deal with it, unless the books are like a buck each on Amazon, I'll check.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
gertiekindle said:
Housework? Oh, yeah. I remember that. It's something I do in between reading.
Doing housework is instantly guaranteed to put me in a completely terrible horrible mood, so my husband doesn't even ask anymore. If I get the urge to do something...like change the sheets on the bed...he thinks it's a blessing and thanks me profusely.

Yesterday, I got the urge to switch to the Christmas dishes. That was a small miracle. I had to spend a big chunk of the day today to recover. LOL.

L

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
I am glad to hear that Leslie. Housework makes me grouchy and irritable.  :mad: It is strange because my Mom and both of my sisters enjoy  ??? housework. My husband is very laid back and as long as we are not living in complete filth he is good.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Linda Cannon-Mott said:
I am glad to hear that Leslie. Housework makes me grouchy and irritable. :mad: It is strange because my Mom and both of my sisters enjoy ??? housework. My husband is very laid back and as long as we are not living in complete filth he is good.
My husband grew up in a family where is grandmother washed her kitchen floor every single day. She (the grandmother) thought her daughter (my husband's mother) was a slacker because she didn't do the same thing. But she cleaned more than I do and passed that on to my husband, so he does most of the cleaning.

We actually had cleaning people for almost 20 years then last year, they stole a birthday gift card for my daughter and then a bottle of prescription medication (something that can be sold on the street for $3-4/pill; they stole a three month supply). We called the police and so on...of course, no blame was ever assigned. But the upshot was that my husband was uncomfortable with having strangers come into our home and as part of this, he agreed to take over the cleaning. Fine with me. Every now and then, I get the urge to dust a table or something...

Whoa, sorry, this thread is really off topic. Let's see, let me think of a book where cleaning people steal things...

L

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Linda Cannon-Mott said:
I am glad to hear that Leslie. Housework makes me grouchy and irritable. :mad: It is strange because my Mom and both of my sisters enjoy ??? housework. My husband is very laid back and as long as we are not living in complete filth he is good.
Flylady's Sink Reflections (got the book mention in here) will help change attitude about housework. It is not work, it is blessing your home.

·
Registered
85 Posts
My roommate doesn't mind a little dust either....oh, did I mention that I live alone with my cat???  As long as she has crunchies, water, litter and a warm sweater to sleep on, she's happy.....  LOL

Since I got my Kindle, I have downloaded too many books, but my roommate doesn't care about that either!!

Actually real life has been pretty busy recently but I have gotten a bit of reading done.

Tori Spelling's biography
Clay Aiken's autobio...Learning to Sing
Mother Angelica's biography by Raymond Arroyo
Raymond Arroyo's other book of Mother Angelica's quotes which I have read parts of
first book in the Nora Roberts Three Sister Island series
Bone Collector by Jeffrey Deaver

plus some DTB from Harlequin that I skimmed through so I could get rid of them quickly.

I find that I often d/l a book from a recent movie I just saw...Bone Collector was one.  I also got a few others in the series at the same time and have just started Coffin Dancer.  Watched a marathon of Band of Brothers recently and d/l'ed a couple of bios from two of the show's characters.  Also just watched Prince Caspian movie and have the Narnia books on my Kindle now too.  tonight's hallmark movie, Front of the Class would be one I would like to have, but not listed on the Kindle store at this time.

Have also gotten Outlander and the Charlaine Harris book and the Hicks book to be ready for the book club starts in January. 

1 - 20 of 43 Posts