Kindle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aaaargh!

I'm wondering, does Apple require an EIN, or is it sufficient for your country to have a tax treaty. I'm being asked to complete tax info, and it warns me that I can't change it once I submit the form, so I'd like to know what I'm doing.

I'll be shifting earnings from my own name to a business name, and I'm wondering if I need to get a new EIN (I don't for Amazon, because they now seem to accept the foreign tax treaty)

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
I know they don't require one for US authors, but I can't say for international. Try to sign up to be a vendor and see. It takes them a week or so to complete the process anyway.

·
Registered
13,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank, Joe. If an international author like to weigh in, let me know. I was wondering if all death descends upon me if I don't have an EIN for that particular name (I do have on in my own name, but am setting this up as business, because I'm dangerously close to the tax threshold for the financial year already).

I have an Apple account in my own name also, and would probably ask for another in the business name. It asks for an Australian ABN, which you can only get as a registered business, which I do have, but it's not in the same name as my publisher account.

Aaargh.

/mess

·
Registered
20 Posts
I had to list my ABN *and* I had to register for GST as well (I just told the woman at the ATO that I needed to register GST but I wouldn't earn anywhere near the threshold to pay it). #jumpingthroughhoops

·
Registered
13,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lily Lit said:
I had to list my ABN *and* I had to register for GST as well (I just told the woman at the ATO that I needed to register GST but I wouldn't earn anywhere near the threshold to pay it). #jumpingthroughhoops
That's not a problem. I already have that (just not in the same name as the account, but I'm working on that). I just wonder if Apple specifically asks for an EIN, so that I need to go and apply for one rather than just selecting the tax treaty country.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I never got asked for any US tax information.

I had to fill in forms for Name & Contact Info, Bank Info & Tax Info (all Australian). And digitally sign some form (from memory). Where is it saying you need US information?

·
Registered
13,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Lily Lit said:
I never got asked for any US tax information.

I had to fill in forms for Name & Contact Info, Bank Info & Tax Info (all Australian). And digitally sign some form (from memory). Where is it saying you need US information?
On the tax page. It's the option in the middle, and it tells you that you have to complete it at the top. But this is basically standard practice: all businesses based in the US ask for US tax info. Many still ask for EIN/ITIN but some have begun to accept the tax treaty.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just checked itunesconnect again (in case my memory sucks).

on the Tax Information Page under US Tax Forms:

In 2. Country of incorporation I chose Australia
and 3. Beneficial Owner I choose Individual/Sole Proprietor.

There is nowhere that asks me for any US tax info or otherwise once those options are chosen.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts