Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Vicki,

I checked out Not What She Seems on Amazon UK. It is one of twelve books in the top twenty list (Bestsellers in Romantic Suspense) selling at under £1. Congratulations on doing so well! Have you offered the book at a higher price?

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Shelagh said:
Hi Vicki,

I checked out Not What She Seems on Amazon UK. It is one of twelve books in the top twenty list (Bestsellers in Romantic Suspense) selling at under £1. Congratulations on doing so well! Have you offered the book at a higher price?
Thank you. Yes, I had the book at $1.99 for the first three months of its life, then I raised it to $2.99 for three more months, and then I lowered it to 99 cents. It sold more and earned more money for me at 99 cents so I've kept it as a loss leader for me. :)

Thanks for asking!

Vicki

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Douglas E Wright said:
I've been told that my fiction has a literary bent to it. I enjoy literary much more than genre. And yes, it it much harder to sell. I think it's because it is not as commercial. :)
Hi Douglas,

I've visited Victoria three times (1985, 1987, 1989) and loved it -- my husband taught summer school at the university. I noticed that your books are priced either $0.99 or $2.99. Why not $1.99?

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
RJ Keller said:
I do. And yes it is. (Sorry if that's not encouraging.)
Hi RJ,
I do, too. I find that my work is very much enjoyed if it is free, and I receive wonderful feedback, but that's as far as it goes. I clicked on your book and saw that it is one of AmazonEncore's books. It must have sold well to be picked up by this new imprint. Congratulations!

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Shelagh said:
Hi RJ,
I do, too. I find that my work is very much enjoyed if it is free, and I receive wonderful feedback, but that's as far as it goes.
It can be done (with a LOT of marketing). My book has done well for lit fic, and was picked up by AmazonEncore (rereleased by them a couple of weeks ago). But it's a long climb.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
RJ Keller said:
It can be done (with a LOT of marketing). My book has done well for lit fic, and was picked up by AmazonEncore (rereleased by them a couple of weeks ago). But it's a long climb.
LOL! I was editing my post while you typed in yours!

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Steve Silkin said:
i grew up reading literary fiction; i've never really read much genre. so it was never really a question. 8) i'm not sure i'd know how to write genre.
Me too! I see that your books are all priced the same. Have you changed the price at any time?

·
Registered
516 Posts
Shelagh said:
Hi Douglas,

I've visited Victoria three times (1985, 1987, 1989) and loved it -- my husband taught summer school at the university. I noticed that your books are priced either $0.99 or $2.99. Why not $1.99?
Hi Shelagh,

I've lived all over Canada, but lived in Victoria twice. I figured once my career with the post office was over, I'd move to a place where winter really doesn't exist. ;D

I did try the $1.99 and it seemed perfectly logical to me for the collections and novella to be in that range. But, it seems the buyers didn't agree. I'm trying a little bit of everything. My next, will be a novel, and I'll likely price it at $3.99 or so.

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
I think there is a market there that hasn't been tapped into yet.

I don't see a lot of indies doing historical fiction or literary fiction, especially the latter.

I released a literary short (my first title) and it sold 100 copies in three weeks, and it was only 4000 words. I think the standard for covers is very high, and I also think that the readers of literary fiction are sniffier than your average reader about reading self-published work, so you have to present it carefully.

But I think there is money there, for sure.

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
Cheryl Shineman is doing very well with a similar kind of book. I think she is selling 200 a day. So there is certainly a market for that.

Perhaps "straight" literary fiction readers are print obsessives and can't see themselves owning an e-reader?

It's possible. Having said that, I'm sure there are just as many who have or are considering an e-reader. If not now, then next year.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Hi, I think my novel, Carl Melcher Goes to Vietnam, has a literary bent to it also.  And, it sells far fewer copies than my genre fiction.  But no matter.  My future work will be more in the literary vein, not the Vampire vein.  :D

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
R.J. Keller is a good example of an indie author (now published by AmazonEncore) whose writing has a literary bent. Karen McQuestion's A Scattered Life is another (and she is also now published by AmazonEncore).

·
Registered
394 Posts
Shelagh & RJ et al:

My first book The Naked Gardener is mainstream women's/literary. It's sold a few short of 8,000 copies across all platforms since August 2010. It continues to sell steadily. Some days more than others. March was crazy good. But it has settled into a steady rhythm. So I think it can be done although it's no get rich quick scheme. For that I plan to put it all on the red in Vegas.

Meanwhile working on the sequel.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts