Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

· Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Vicki,

I checked out Not What She Seems on Amazon UK. It is one of twelve books in the top twenty list (Bestsellers in Romantic Suspense) selling at under £1. Congratulations on doing so well! Have you offered the book at a higher price?

· Registered
10,404 Posts
Shelagh said:
Hi Vicki,

I checked out Not What She Seems on Amazon UK. It is one of twelve books in the top twenty list (Bestsellers in Romantic Suspense) selling at under £1. Congratulations on doing so well! Have you offered the book at a higher price?
Thank you. Yes, I had the book at $1.99 for the first three months of its life, then I raised it to $2.99 for three more months, and then I lowered it to 99 cents. It sold more and earned more money for me at 99 cents so I've kept it as a loss leader for me. :)

Thanks for asking!

Vicki

· Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Douglas E Wright said:
I've been told that my fiction has a literary bent to it. I enjoy literary much more than genre. And yes, it it much harder to sell. I think it's because it is not as commercial. :)
Hi Douglas,

I've visited Victoria three times (1985, 1987, 1989) and loved it -- my husband taught summer school at the university. I noticed that your books are priced either $0.99 or $2.99. Why not $1.99?

· Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
RJ Keller said:
I do. And yes it is. (Sorry if that's not encouraging.)
Hi RJ,
I do, too. I find that my work is very much enjoyed if it is free, and I receive wonderful feedback, but that's as far as it goes. I clicked on your book and saw that it is one of AmazonEncore's books. It must have sold well to be picked up by this new imprint. Congratulations!

· Registered
1,204 Posts
Shelagh said:
Hi RJ,
I do, too. I find that my work is very much enjoyed if it is free, and I receive wonderful feedback, but that's as far as it goes.
It can be done (with a LOT of marketing). My book has done well for lit fic, and was picked up by AmazonEncore (rereleased by them a couple of weeks ago). But it's a long climb.

· Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Steve Silkin said:
i grew up reading literary fiction; i've never really read much genre. so it was never really a question. 8) i'm not sure i'd know how to write genre.
Me too! I see that your books are all priced the same. Have you changed the price at any time?

· Registered
529 Posts
Shelagh said:
Hi Douglas,

I've visited Victoria three times (1985, 1987, 1989) and loved it -- my husband taught summer school at the university. I noticed that your books are priced either $0.99 or $2.99. Why not $1.99?
Hi Shelagh,

I've lived all over Canada, but lived in Victoria twice. I figured once my career with the post office was over, I'd move to a place where winter really doesn't exist. ;D

I did try the $1.99 and it seemed perfectly logical to me for the collections and novella to be in that range. But, it seems the buyers didn't agree. I'm trying a little bit of everything. My next, will be a novel, and I'll likely price it at $3.99 or so.

· Registered
3,739 Posts
I think there is a market there that hasn't been tapped into yet.

I don't see a lot of indies doing historical fiction or literary fiction, especially the latter.

I released a literary short (my first title) and it sold 100 copies in three weeks, and it was only 4000 words. I think the standard for covers is very high, and I also think that the readers of literary fiction are sniffier than your average reader about reading self-published work, so you have to present it carefully.

But I think there is money there, for sure.

· Registered
3,739 Posts
Cheryl Shineman is doing very well with a similar kind of book. I think she is selling 200 a day. So there is certainly a market for that.

Perhaps "straight" literary fiction readers are print obsessives and can't see themselves owning an e-reader?

It's possible. Having said that, I'm sure there are just as many who have or are considering an e-reader. If not now, then next year.

· Registered
5,045 Posts
R.J. Keller is a good example of an indie author (now published by AmazonEncore) whose writing has a literary bent. Karen McQuestion's A Scattered Life is another (and she is also now published by AmazonEncore).

· Registered
411 Posts
Shelagh & RJ et al:

My first book The Naked Gardener is mainstream women's/literary. It's sold a few short of 8,000 copies across all platforms since August 2010. It continues to sell steadily. Some days more than others. March was crazy good. But it has settled into a steady rhythm. So I think it can be done although it's no get rich quick scheme. For that I plan to put it all on the red in Vegas.

Meanwhile working on the sequel.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.