Kindle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently finished reading the Unlikely Disciple and another book was mentioned. I was wondering if anyone here has read Living Biblically book.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
I've read it a couple of times, and laughed out loud both times. It was interesting (in a fun way) to follow along as someone actually tried to live according to the Bible, and what to do about things like stoning adulterers... That's not something that one might contemplate otherwise.

How does one chuck rocks at their cheating neighbor...? ;)

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Thumper said:
I've read it a couple of times, and laughed out loud both times. It was interesting (in a fun way) to follow along as someone actually tried to live according to the Bible, and what to do about things like stoning adulterers... That's not something that one might contemplate otherwise.

Yikes! Sounds painful. I love your name by the way. That is my Kittys name....his feet are to big for his body...so he thumps. LOL!

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
Thumper said:
...and then explain it to the police officer when he responds to the 911 call?

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
I started the Biblically book, but never finished it. Did read this one from the same author:

·
Registered
400 Posts
bebobthefrog said:
I recently finished reading the Unlikely Disciple and another book was mentioned. I was wondering if anyone here has read Living Biblically book.
That was probably me, because the Unlikely Disciple is written by AJ Jacobs' intern (who comes up as a character in the Year of Living Biblically book). My book club (my real, mostly DTB reading, neighborhood-friend book club :)) assigned the Year of Living Biblically to ourselves at our last meeting. Honestly I thought it was a scream, but I said that already. The unofficial feedback I'm getting from my club's other members is that they are enjoying it too (they all read a lot more slowly than I do!). Our group is all Reform or Conservative Jewish moms with young kids at home living in a suburb of Philadelphia and driving minivans. We are a stay-at-home mom, a community art center art teacher, an elementary school teacher, a registered nurse who works in a NICU, an accountant, and a veterinarian. So I would say the book can appeal to people with different interests but I can't say how much it would appeal to people who can't relate to the author's relatively secular Jewish background, because I don't know anyone else who has read the book :)

·
Registered
172 Posts
A.J. Jacobs is genius. His writing at Esquire is fantastic as well. I'd recommend both of those books, but not back-to-back.

I'm in the middle of the Unlikely Disciple right now. Also great, but not as great as Jacobs.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I read it (DTB version) and really enjoyed it. I am a protestant, but with a reasonably good knowledge of modern day Jewish traditions. I passed it on to a friend who is a reformed jew & she loved it too.

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
These sound interesting. Here are links again for all the books mentioned, on Kindle:
$9.99 $9.99 $9.99

I'm going to sample them!

Betsy

·
Registered
400 Posts
Robin said:
a friend who is a reformed jew
Just so you know, and not intending any attitude of any kind, it's "Reform Jew," not "Reformed Jew." A Reform Jew is a member of the Reform Judaism movement, in contrast to a Conservative Jew in the Conservative movement, or an Orthodox Jew aka one of the original Jews who didn't have to start a movement to change the rules :) Some people will get upset at being called "reformed" - I am not one of those people, but just so you know...

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I've considered reading it but haven't took the dive .... yet

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The sample was good and I just bought a new gift card for Amazon. I'll probably buy this book soon, I just wish it was a little cheaper.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts