Kindle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the military and living overseas.  I have to download the books to my computer and then download to my kindle.  It's much better than waiting for my book by mail, which don't always make it...  The kindle is great because it's so light I don't have to worry about packing a bunch of heavy books!  Thanks for all the tips... 

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Glad to hear the Kindle is working out for you, despite your lack of WhisperNet.

Good luck on your tour of duty!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Where over seas? Are you in Iraq/Afganistan, or are you just at one of the bases? I only ask cause I lived on Heidelberg Army Base for 3 years.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
RovingSoul said:
Where over seas? Are you in Iraq/Afganistan, or are you just at one of the bases? I only ask cause I lived on Heidelberg Army Base for 3 years.
I have a good friend who lives right near there. She tells funny stories about going to look at the American Christmas decorations back when she was a little girl. They were way more elaborate than anything she had ever seen. LOL. I was there visiting her last month for a week. That's a very pretty part of Germany.

L

·
Registered
146 Posts
Leslie said:
RovingSoul said:
I have a good friend who lives right near there. She tells funny stories about going to look at the American Christmas decorations back when she was a little girl. They were way more elaborate than anything she had ever seen. LOL. I was there visiting her last month for a week. That's a very pretty part of Germany.

L
Yeah, I pretty much hate the States, after living in H-town, and visiting places like Tuscany, Scotland, Garmisch, etc. I didn't actually live on the base, it's just easier to tell people that I did. I lived in a tiny town called Leimen-Gauangelloch. Population 3k or something. I really miss it.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
RovingSoul said:
Yeah, I pretty much hate the States, after living in H-town, and visiting places like Tuscany, Scotland, Garmisch, etc. I didn't actually live on the base, it's just easier to tell people that I did. I lived in a tiny town called Leimen-Gauangelloch. Population 3k or something. I really miss it.
My friend lives in Zeiskam. Cute little village, right in the middle of vineyards. Population 2,000.

I don't hate the states but I do manage an annual visit to Europe and have done so for the last 13 years or so. Helps me keep my perspective on things!

·
Registered
146 Posts
My friend lives in Zeiskam. Cute little village, right in the middle of vineyards. Population 2,000.

I don't hate the states but I do manage an annual visit to Europe and have done so for the last 13 years or so. Helps me keep my perspective on things!
People tend to think of my as unpatriotic, but I don't hate the country, per say. I just hate living here. Many Americans would perfer the convenience that our lifestyle offers, and the big cars, well developed roads, and all of this. I prefer ancient architecture to skyscrapers, winding country roads and a public transporation system to die for, rather than SUVs. I like tiny, family owned shops, cities you have to walk to cause they're perched on mountains, etc. Europe is just overflowing with character and life, and love, and I don't find that in the US so much. Besides, I tend to think people who say things like "I don't care about politics, nothing will ever change, etc." are the unpatriotic, idiotic ones.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
I've never lived out of the US, but I've traveled quite a bit.... I haven't found anywhere yet that I'd rather be than here in the US. If I had to choose a place I have been, I would probably go for New Zealand, it's so pretty there, and thankfully they speak English.  ;)

·
Registered
509 Posts
At one juncture in my life I had the opportunity to take up permanant residence in Italy, and even achieve citizenship. (I had family and family friends in high places.)  I chose not to be an expat and have never regretted the decision.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Well, I must admit that I want to live somewhere else, but I don't really want to give up citizenship.

·
Registered
509 Posts
A natural-born American can not have his citizenship revoked, nor will he lose it by becoming a citizen of another country. 

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
RovingSoul said:
Well, I must admit that I want to live somewhere else, but I don't really want to give up citizenship.
If that's what you want, go. Best to do it when you are young and not tethered down. No one will take away your citizenship.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts