Kindle Forum banner

61 - 80 of 99 Posts

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Andra said:
My 3G Walnut Oasis arrived on May 4th so I am not officially past the one-month mark :).
I think you meant "now" so, yes, you are. And if you meant "not," then, no, you are. :D

Thanks for the long term impressions--I'm a left-handed reader, too, and your experiences are similar to mine.

Betsy

·
Registered
6,122 Posts
Betsy the Quilter said:
I think you meant "now" so, yes, you are. And if you meant "not," then, no, you are. :D

Thanks for the long term impressions--I'm a left-handed reader, too, and your experiences are similar to mine.

Betsy
I read over that post at least three times and didn't catch that one. Thanks! It's fixed now.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I got my Oasis about a month ago, with the Walnut cover.  I too lose my location occasionally, and can't figure out why.  I think I must be accidentally pressing at the bottom of the page.

Anyway, I love my Oasis.  I hadn't had a nice cover before, and I love being able to hold it like a book.  It is such a luxurious feel! 

I had the Voyage previously, and I have noticed a couple of very minor things.  The first is that the screen on the Oasis feels silkier.  It just has a smoother feel than the Voyage.  The second minor thing is that the bottom bezel is narrower than the Voyage.  This means when I am on the treadmill, the last line of text almost gets clipped off by the ledge on the treadmill.  And when I read in bed, the Oasis is supported on my chest, and the last line is a bit lower than what it was on the Voyage.
Notice I said "minor"....I can still read the last line.  It's just that I have to tilt my head down a bit. 

The rest of my observations are similar to what others have reported.  No adaptive light control, but longer battery life if I leave it in the cover.  All in all, I am very happy with my purchase. 

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
BettyR said:
I got my Oasis about a month ago, with the Walnut cover. I too lose my location occasionally, and can't figure out why. I think I must be accidentally pressing at the bottom of the page.

Anyway, I love my Oasis. I hadn't had a nice cover before, and I love being able to hold it like a book. It is such a luxurious feel!

I had the Voyage previously, and I have noticed a couple of very minor things. The first is that the screen on the Oasis feels silkier. It just has a smoother feel than the Voyage. The second minor thing is that the bottom bezel is narrower than the Voyage. This means when I am on the treadmill, the last line of text almost gets clipped off by the ledge on the treadmill. And when I read in bed, the Oasis is supported on my chest, and the last line is a bit lower than what it was on the Voyage.
Notice I said "minor"....I can still read the last line. It's just that I have to tilt my head down a bit.

The rest of my observations are similar to what others have reported. No adaptive light control, but longer battery life if I leave it in the cover. All in all, I am very happy with my purchase.
Two things--you could read with it in landscape mode at night or on the treadmill--and put the wider bezel at the bottom. Or, on your treadmill, you could put a pencil in the ledge below the Oasis to raise it up a bit (if I'm picturing your setup correctly). Glad you're loving your Oasis!

Betsy

·
Registered
172 Posts
For the last three to four days, I've been VERY careful how I hold my Oasis. During this time I did not have any occurences of the bottom left screen indicator changing information (mine is set to minutes left until the end of the chapter). I really do think the problem is user error, but the very thin bezel design of the Oasis has proven to contribute to the headache.

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
kschles said:
I really do think the problem is user error, but the very thin bezel design of the Oasis has proven to contribute to the headache.
I've come to think this, too--along with, at least for those who do it, the rotating of the device. :D. We've not had either the very thin bezel or the ability to rotate with other devices (at least not since the DX was introduced yea these many years :D).

Betsy

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
I've had mine for over a month and have to say I love just about everything about the Oasis. I love having the buttons back and being able to switch hands and keep reading. I find myself doing that a lot depending on how I am sitting or laying, and it is so seemless to flip and keep going. I haven't written down when I charge the battery, but it does seem like I am charging it every 4-5 days, which is more than my Voyage. Not a big deal since I can just plug it in at night anyway, but not sure it's an improvement for me. I do miss the adaptive light feature though. If I had one thing I could change on the Oasis, I would ask for that back. Otherwise, I find it easy to hold and love the size and weight. The Oasis is very much a step up from the Voyage, for me. I've loved all of my kindles, but this has to be my favorite I think.

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
KindleGirl said:
The Oasis is very much a step up from the Voyage, for me. I've loved all of my kindles, but this has to be my favorite I think.
I agree.

Seems like every 4-5 days is about what most people are finding.

Betsy

·
Registered
6,122 Posts
I will add that DH got his wi-fi only Oasis the day that I got my 3G version.  He more closely resembles the person Amazon uses to estimate battery life.  He reads maybe 30 minutes a day.  I made sure it was fully charged when he got it and he is still on the original charge.

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Andra said:
I will add that DH got his wi-fi only Oasis the day that I got my 3G version. He more closely resembles the person Amazon uses to estimate battery life. He reads maybe 30 minutes a day. I made sure it was fully charged when he got it and he is still on the original charge.
Remind me again how long that's been? :D. I'm soooo lazy.

Betsy

·
Registered
6,122 Posts
Betsy the Quilter said:
Remind me again how long that's been? :D. I'm soooo lazy.

Betsy
"His" came from Best Buy on releast day and I used it until mine arrived. So he has been using it on a single charge since he got it on May 4th.

·
Registered
9,605 Posts
I have been puzzled by the reports of "minutes remaining " disappearing or having other anomalies. Never noticed such issues on my Oasis. I finally remembered to pay repeated attention to the issue during a long reading session last night. No problem whatsoever with disappearing or changing times or percent remaining. I guess I'm just lucky!

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
The Hooded Claw said:
I have been puzzled by the reports of "minutes remaining " disappearing or having other anomalies. Never noticed such issues on my Oasis. I finally remembered to pay repeated attention to the issue during a long reading session last night. No problem whatsoever with disappearing or changing times or percent remaining. I guess I'm just lucky!
After being very careful with my Oasis over time, I've come to the conclusion that the issues with that, at least the ones I was having, were accidental touches caused by the very narrow bezel and rotating it. If you're more adept than I, you probably won't have any problems. :D

Betsy

·
Registered
466 Posts
Betsy the Quilter said:
After being very careful with my Oasis over time, I've come to the conclusion that the issues with that, at least the ones I was having, were accidental touches caused by the very narrow bezel and rotating it. If you're more adept than I, you probably won't have any problems. :D

Betsy
I wonder if the extra "handle area" of the case helps, or maybe exacerbates, the issue. Are people seeing this more with or without the case on?

·
Registered
9,605 Posts
GBear said:
I wonder if the extra "handle area" of the case helps, or maybe exacerbates, the issue. Are people seeing this more with or without the case on?
With one exception during a marathon reading session that drained the Oasis, I've never even considered reading with the case on. Whether that is tied to my lack of time and location problems I don't know.

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
GBear said:
I don't think the extra handle affects it one way or the other, except in that that's where the buttons are, so it affects how it is held. I *think* that most people hold their Oasis with their right hands; that puts the "time left/location" in the lower left hand corner surrounded by a narrow bezel, which makes it that much easier to touch accidentally. I also think, in my case, a couple times when I rotated it from my left hand (my usual reading hand), I've touched the time left/location by accident.

Betsy

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Betsy the Quilter said:

Betsy
In my case I don't think it is accidental screen touching. I never rotate the screen. I almost always read with the Oasis (in the case) laying on a table in front of my chair. I am right handed and only touch the kindle to touch the buttons on the right side. If I accidentally touched the screen, it would be on the right side in the middle of the page where the buttons are. And lastly I have tried to pay attention to where I touch when I do touch the Oasis. On my unit the page location change happens quite frequently. Further I have tried to change the reading progress by touching the screen on the bottom left, and it is very very difficult to accomplish, even when I am really trying to do it.

Steve

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
stevene9 said:
In my case I don't think it is accidental screen touching. I never rotate the screen. I almost always read with the Oasis (in the case) laying on a table in front of my chair. I am right handed and only touch the kindle to touch the buttons on the right side. If I accidentally touched the screen, it would be on the right side in the middle of the page where the buttons are. And lastly I have tried to pay attention to where I touch when I do touch the Oasis. On my unit the page location change happens quite frequently. Further I have tried to change the reading progress by touching the screen on the bottom left, and it is very very difficult to accomplish, even when I am really trying to do it.

Steve
I can change mine pretty consistently by touching it just barely on the place where the info should be but catching the edge of the bezel, too. I'll post a video.

EDIT: Added the video. Please ignore the background audio of my hubby talking.

Since I've been trying to keep track, every time I've noticed that the time/loc has disappeared has been when I know I fumbled it, or had it fall against my body while reading at some point or rotated it or just not being careful how I held it before I noticed it was gone. And it's only been about twice in the last five or so days. Based on my experiences and other reports here, I've convinced myself that it is not something that's a universal problem--but, as with anything else, there could be problems with individual devices.

Betsy

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
stevene9 said:

Steve
Steve,

I've been thinking a lot about your device since you posted this. Have you talked to CS about it? Have you seen it disappear while the device was open?

I've done all kinds of testing with opening and closing the cover and rotating the device and waking it up when it falls asleep with the cover open, and the only consistent thing I've found on mine has been that it changed after I've been pretty sure there were accidental touches. :(

Betsy

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
Well I'm officially at the one month plus a couple of days. I admit it tool me longer to get used to the Oasis but I love it. I wasn't really interested in the buttons but they are so nice. I find myself using them most of the time. Love the size and weight. I think my favorite thing is the screen rotation. My right gets tired easily and when it does I just flip it over. I've been on vacation and doing a lot of reading. The battery life is really good. I read about 8 hours before having to put it back on the case to charge the Oasis up. It charges quickly when needed. All in all I really love it and haven't gone back to Voyage since I received it.

61 - 80 of 99 Posts