Kindle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate to admit this, but I just love fanfic that regular folks write and post about tv shows.  On my favorite site, I have favorite authors and want to read everything they write but unfortunately, it gets tiring on the eyes to read it on the computer.  So.....I do a copy/paste into a MS word document, print it out, and read it. 

My question is:  If I converted a MS Word document to .rtf (rich text format), would I be able to load it from my pc onto the kindle myself thru the usb cable or would I still have to send it to amazon to be converted?

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
RC,

Hey, I've read plenty of fanfic in my life. No need to be embarrassed!

Your best options:

1. Email the word doc (no need to convert to rtf) to your Kindle and have amazon do the conversion.

2. Download mobipocket creator (it's free, www.mobipocket.com) and do the conversion yourself. Make sure to get the publisher edition. Transfer this file with the USB.

Let me know if you have questions about how to do this.

L

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info Leslie....but I was wondering why I'd need mobi to convert?  Can't I just do a "file", "save as" and choose .rtf?

Sorry to be such a dolt

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
rcarrosq said:
Thanks for the info Leslie....but I was wondering why I'd need mobi to convert? Can't I just do a "file", "save as" and choose .rtf?

Sorry to be such a dolt
I think Leslie is saying you can chose to do option 1 or option 2. You don't really need mobi unless you want to do it yourself.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
You can also send it to "name"@free.kindle.com and Amazon will convert  and return to you.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
rcarrosq said:
Thanks for the info Leslie....but I was wondering why I'd need mobi to convert? Can't I just do a "file", "save as" and choose .rtf?

Sorry to be such a dolt
I don't think .rtf files work natively on the Kindle. They need to be converted. .txt files work natively and you could save that way, but then you'd lose all special formatting like italics and so on. You can send .doc (Word) files to Amazon for conversion and they come out just fine.

also, thanks, sebat, I should have included an OR between 1 and 2. You can do one OR the other, you don't need to do both.

L

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the help guys....I think I probably phrased my question incorrectly.  After reading all the responses, I see that .rtf is not a viable option for Kindle and as Leslie said, I'd lose all special formatting if I converted to .txt.  I will try the mobipocket and see what happens.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts