Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This topic was inspired by the Children's Book thread.

What do you think of location numbers on the Kindle vs. page numbers in a regular book?

Personally, I'm not a fan of location numbers and don't think they're necessary.

Page numbers can work IMO.

"But what about the different font sizes?"

So what? It would be much easier and more intuitive to say "Page 3 using Font 3" than "Location 300-390" or whatever it would be.

Regular page numbers could be used for identifying specific lines too. For example, if there are 10 lines per page (there may be more or less depending on the font), they could be numbered 3.1 through 3.10. MUCH easier than Location 300-390.

I'd much prefer this system over Amazon's puzzling location numbers. The only advantage I see to location numbers is that they're standardized across all six fonts, which my system wouldn't allow. But regular page numbers are so much easier for a reader to understand, connect to, and relay to others.

If anything, I don't see why Amazon can't use both systems side by side (Page 3, Location 300-390).

Your thoughts?

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
I prefer page numbers. I  am still hoping that textbooks are going to start being kindlized and most assignments go by page number.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I don't really get the location numbers. They don't make sense to me.

A couple of times, I put my kindle (in its cover) in my purse without putting it to sleep, and ended up completely losing my place in the book. Of course, I couldn't find the location, and had to go back and skim up to where I'd reached in the book. The location numbers are fairly long, and hard to remember, too. I tend to occasionally bookmark (dog ear) my books in the Kindle so I don't get lost again.

·
Registered
869 Posts
gertiekindle said:
The only thing I would like to see is the last location number. Location 1-6 of 1240, e.g.
That ^ would be huge improvement, I think.

I agree with Jeff, especially when you multiply all your books x 6 fonts = way to much for a small processor to handle. As much as I like page numbers, this is currently the price you pay ;) for using the Kindle.

Textbooks are usually twice as big for number of pages and very photo &/or illustration-intensive so I don't see it improving in that market either. At least not for the near future.

Marci

G

·
Vegas_Asian said:
Page numbers are also much easier to remember.
I don't understand this. Unless is has more digits, one number is as easy to remember as another number.

Also, why would you need to remember a location number anyway?

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bacardi Jim said:
I don't understand this. Unless is has more digits, one number is as easy to remember as another number.

Also, why would you need to remember a location number anyway?
You mean to tell me that Location 1300-1390 is just as easy to remember as Page 130?

·
Registered
366 Posts
excpet for citing pages in a paper most people don't reference page numbers in a book while talking about it anyway.  It's usually more along the lines of "have you gotten to that one part where...".  Easy enough to say it's about halfway through the book look at the dots and use one of the many tricks available to get to an approximate page to look something up.

G

·
CS said:
You mean to tell me that Location 1300-1390 is just as easy to remember as Page 130?
For me, the number 1300 is as easy to remember as the number 130.

And I refer again to my second point. *shrug*

G

·
thejackylking said:
excpet for citing pages in a paper most people don't reference page numbers in a book while talking about it anyway. It's usually more along the lines of "have you gotten to that one part where...". Easy enough to say it's about halfway through the book look at the dots and use one of the many tricks available to get to an approximate page to look something up.
Exactly. I frequently look up specific passages in books because I want to quote them online. I can almost always remember within a few pages of where the citation I want is. I don't remember it by page number--I remember about how far through the book it is and what came before or after it. I remember the scene. Or the chapter. I open the book to around where I know it is and then leaf around a little to find the particular quote. No numbers involved.

Given the nature of the medium, I am sure this will be more difficult to do on a Kindle. But various ways of numbering pages won't make it easier.

·
Super Moderator
67,294 Posts
Jeff has an excellent point about processor power needed to re-paginate.

Gertie, if you go to the 'page length' bar at the bottom of a page and click the scroll bar it will say something like "Location 1 - xxxx".  XXXX is the end of the book.

The location numbers don't bother me; I like that the dots move over to give me an idea of how far in I am.  In my mind's eye I'm envisioning a book with a marker.  I use the number of dots shown on the home page as a guide for how thick the mind's eye book is.  I guess I've adapted; and I rarely have a reason to reference a page number.

Oh, and I have made myself get in the habit of putting it to sleep anytime I'm not actively reading so buttons don't get pressed accidentally.

Ann

G

·
Since the location numbers are so small and virtually meaningless to me I never even look at them.

If I loose my place and i do occasionally, I just go to the table of contents, pick the last chapter I was in and scan forward from there or if I have to, skim back until I find it.  

It's no big deal to me and no more annoying than if I had dropped a DTB and lost my place.

I can see how page number system may seem easier.  Many of you will be in book clubs soon and some one may say what do you think of what happened at location 1220-50?

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
I started to start a topic on this a couple of days ago after reading a complaint about locations, but I got distracted, LOL!

Sorry, I don't get the dislike of the location numbers. It's all relative. If you have a 500 page book, and you're at page 125, you know you're about a fifth of the way through. If I'm at a book with 5600 locations, like 1st to Die that I'm reading, and I'm at location 1100, i'm about a fifth of the way through. Unless it's a book with an excerpt from the author's next book at the back.

However, I typically would my bookmark in, look at the book from the side and say, hmmm, that looks like I'm about a third of the way through.... And the dots do that for me.

But then, I also seldom look up specific passages or cite them to other people. Maybe it would make more of a difference to me if I did.

The time I was most likely to use page numbers was when having to close a book with no bookmark available. Don't have to do that anymore, Eleanor the K remembers them for me, LOL! Just my 2 cents!

Betsy

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
Vampyre said:
I can see how page number system may seem easier. Many of you will be in book clubs soon and some one may say what do you think of what happened at location 1220-50?
Page numbers only work in book clubs if everyone has the same edition of the book....some could have hardcover, some paperback, some mass market trade version, some large text version....

Betsy

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
If the developers had called them "pages" instead of locations, would that solve the problem?

I can't figure out if people object to the word (location) or the fact that the numbers tend to be bigger -- ie, most Kindle books tend to have locations in the thousands while most paper books have pages in the hundreds.

Either way, the locations don't bother me at all. I use them alot. Whenever I start a book, I check out the total number of locations it has, which gives me an estimate of its length. Then, like others have said, I tend to think, "I'm a quarter of the way through," halfway, etc.

Works for me.

L

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Lotus said:
I tend to occasionally bookmark (dog ear) my books in the Kindle so I don't get lost again.
I haven't started doing this yet, but need to before I show off my Kindle. I always get it back on some wierd place. :)

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
mom133d said:
I haven't started doing this yet, but need to before I show off my Kindle. I always get it back on some wierd place. :)
It's supposed to go back to where you were when you left the book. However, when I was first using it, I frequently hit the next page or prev page when I was getting ready to turn it off. That's the only time it went back to a weird place.

I'd test going in and out of a book a few times, if yours doesn't go back to the last place you were in the book, there is someting wrong...

Betsy

1 - 20 of 118 Posts