Kindle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if anyone can answer this (perhaps some of you that have published a book on kindle).  But are the locations that Kindle uses to denote how far you are in the book the same distance apart for every book?  So if I have one book that is 5000 locations, one that is 10,000 locations would be exactly twice as long?  Or are the locations subjective and placed by the person putting the kindle version together?  So the two books in my example may actually have the exact same number of words, but one just placed the locations closer together, therefore causing it to have more of them.

Does this make any sense at all and does anyone know the answer?  The reason I ask is I don't enjoy reading short books.  So if I knew they were the same through all books, I could pick books with more locations and that book would be longer and last me longer as well. 

Thanks!!
Rachel

·
Registered
597 Posts
I'm not sure about the answer to your question, but in general, I judge the length of the book by looking at how many pages the DTB version has. I also look at the file size of the Kindle book (novellas are in the 50-150 KB range) regular novel length books are usually above 250 KBs. You can find this information in the "Product Details" section on Amazon. Sometimes it doesn't give the number of pages on the Kindle page, but you can find that out by looking at the paperback or hardback version of the book.

·
Super Moderator
67,481 Posts
Athena, I think locations is somehow tied to bits and bytes so, in general, your conclusion is probably valid.  But remember, space takes up bits and bytes too and yet we don't usually think of it as part of the story.  So if there's lots of spacing in the formatting it might show more locations than the very same book with less spaces.  Say, if there are less formalized chapter headings or something.

There was a discussion about the exact relationship sometime last fall. . .maybe in October?  IF I can find it I'll link to the thread.

ann

·
Registered
80 Posts
Athenagwis, I have always joked with fellow readers that I like to choose my books by the pound. I don't quite get all this novella stuff, either. My favorite fiction author has always been Anne Rice, partly because her works have so much depth, as well as page count. All the responses you have already received here are true, and I want to add a couple more.

Print books can have smaller or larger font sizes and a little or a lot of margin spacing. The only way to see this effect is if Amazon offers the Search Inside feature or if Google offers a preview. Another variable is the amount of front and back matter that may be involved, and as someone has mentioned, the spacing adds to the KB file size, too. Nonfiction books generally have a lot more of this than fiction ones. Allowing for the same font size and the same degree of other formatting issues, a larger file size or page count should be comparable. The file size will be greatly increased by the presence of photos or other graphics in a Kindle book.

As an example, two of my books have vastly different characteristics. Timeline of America has the largest word count of any of my books, but you cannot tell this from viewing the page count in the print version or the file size in the Kindle version because the printed font size is smaller than my other releases. Plastic Ozone Daydream is my second longest book by word count, but its page count is the largest and its file size is more than twice that of my other books in the Kindle format. Why is that? Daydream contains about forty photos. (All four of my books are on sale for $1.60 until 5/1/09, when the regular price of $4.80 will return.) Thank you.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone!  I know it's just as hard to tell how long a book really is too in print.  Like Twilight and Outlander look like they are similar lengths when you hold them both in DTB versions.  But Outlander has smaller font and smaller margins, so it's really twice as long.

Well since I am keeping track of the number of locations and how long it took me to read the book, maybe I'll see a pattern between the two soon. :)

Thanks everyone!
Rachel

·
Registered
321 Posts
I'm glad you asked this because I thought I was too stupid to figure it out! I'm trying to get past wondering/ caring about it, but it's a hard habit to break after so many years of planning my reading material & time based on how big a book is.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I guess it's not the end of the world anymore how thick the book is since it's easy enough to get more, I got big ones before so they'd last a while and I wouldn't have to run to the library/store for more.  No issues about that anymore, but I do still like a nice long read sometimes!!

Rachel

1 - 7 of 7 Posts