Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if anyone noticed, but the status of shipping for the Kindle has gone from "Next business day" to "2-3 weeks". I think I ordered mine the day before the Oprah show, or something like that. I consider myself lucky.

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
So you didn't get the discount?  She and Jeff announced the discount on Oct. 24.  I did order mine the next day -- with free shipping.  It came via USPS as my Halloween treat!

·
Registered
26 Posts
hmmm I got mine in three days, ordered late late on  the 28th and it was here by the 31st.  Got the discount as well, that is what sold me on buying one.  Good to know I ordered mine in the nick of time :D I now see the "Availability: Usually ships within 2 to 3 weeks. Ships from and sold by Amazon.com. Gift-wrap available. " 

·
Registered
21 Posts
Looks like Amazon is back to late 2007/early 2008 status.  I had a two week wait back in February and felt lucky as all get-out it wasn't longer. 

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
They probably underestimated the power of Oprah and ran out! I am glad I ordered the day of th show. It is here and I got the discount and I love it. I am guessing that they are rushing to get more in but do not want to overestimate when they will. There will be a domino effect from all this. As we all know, we love showing them off, the Oprah crop will usher end more recruits and well... you get the idea.

I am basically a pretty selfish person and could not be happier, the more that kindle, the more books and future better kindles for me!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I ordered mine on the 30th and got it on the 31st.  When I ordered it, it said a week before shipping, but I took the chance and paid for next day shipping and sure enough it was here when I got home from work.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
AndrewD2 said:
I ordered mine on the 30th and got it on the 31st. When I ordered it, it said a week before shipping, but I took the chance and paid for next day shipping and sure enough it was here when I got home from work.
Money well spent I'd say!

L

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
I ordered mine on Friday afternoon after the Oprah show (I think), and ordered two day shipping.  Because of the weekend, it didn't actually ship until Monday (they don't do 2 day shipping on the weekend), and I got it on Wednesday as promised, which was fine.  I love anticipation!!!!

Betsy

B

·
0 Posts
Funny thing, Betsy, I also ordered on Friday. But, being a cheapskate, I opted for free shipping and still got mine on Wednesday.

I am wondering now if Amazon is worried about not being able to supply all those Christmas shoppers.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Wow, boy am I glad I didn't wait any longer!  I ordered mine on Wednesday - splurged on the 2 days shipping for $11.98 - and it was here by Friday.  I can't imagine having to wait longer.

BTW, my hubby, who thought it was probably a waste of money originally, seemed quite intrigued while Florence (my Kindle) and I were enjoying morning coffee.  He kept asking me questions about what kinds of books were available, and so forth.  Heehee!  Maybe I need to get him one for Christmas?

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
I believe I ordered mine (our 2nd) on Friday - the day after the show?..... It showed up on Wednesday.....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Got mine in July.  Once I'd decided to spend the money there's no way I'd wait for any promotion in hopes of getting it for less. I rationalize most things that cost over $100 by comparing them to two habits I once had that cost quite a bit.  The first is golfing. For many, many, many years I'd spend a few grand a year on golf.  Mostly for membership and tournaments and while I did quite well it was still money spent and not regained.  The second was a bad habit, smoking, which I had for over 25 years.  Since I quit more than 9 years ago the savings have more than covered the cost of the Kindle and likely more books than I can read for the rest of my life.

Rationalizing is fun and keeps the guilties away.  The ones acquired from being raised Catholic. :)

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Great story, Fred!

I look at it this way...I've always loved to read. Reading has always been a source of entertainment and enjoyment for me. So, why not indulge in it? Like you said, comparing it to golf, it's cheap. Comparing it to just about anything it's cheap...travel, buying jewelry, collecting wine, going to Broadway shows, shopping...heck, it's even cheaper than a matinee movie habit! LOL

L

·
Registered
4 Posts
I ordered mine the day before the Oprah show.  Once I heard she was going to have it on her show I was worried that it would sell out!  It was just the push I needed to finally get me to finally order my Kindle! ;)

I was trying to rationalize it before I got it too.  I am a SAHM and I feel guilty when I spend money on myself.  I finally came to the conclusion that I was just going to get the Kindle and treat myself.  I absolutely love to read and this is the one indulgence that I have for myself.  After the initial cost of the Kindle, the books are really not that expensive.  Plus, it makes me really, really happy! :D

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Dells said:
I was trying to rationalize it before I got it too. I am a SAHM and I feel guilty when I spend money on myself. I finally came to the conclusion that I was just going to get the Kindle and treat myself. I absolutely love to read and this is the one indulgence that I have for myself. After the initial cost of the Kindle, the books are really not that expensive. Plus, it makes me really, really happy! :D
My children are older now (17 and 20) but I think back and say, man, I wish I had Kindle in the days they wanted to go to the park. I could have sat there and read, looked up, waved, paid attention...

Yes, I could've brought a book but I didn't. I don't know why. That's the thing about the Kindle. I have a book with me always. It's great. I can't quite figure out the difference.

L

B

·
0 Posts
Rationalizing is fun and keeps the guilties away. The ones acquired from being raised Catholic. :)
As Jeff Goldblum said in the Big Chill, "Rationalizations are more important than sex. Ever go a week with out a rationalization?"

·
Registered
325 Posts
I see the Kindle is down as "Usually ships in 2 to 3 weeks" now. I don't think I'd want to wait that long for one if I was ordering one today.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Leslie said:
Great story, Fred!

I look at it this way...I've always loved to read. Reading has always been a source of entertainment and enjoyment for me. So, why not indulge in it? Like you said, comparing it to golf, it's cheap. Comparing it to just about anything it's cheap...travel, buying jewelry, collecting wine, going to Broadway shows, shopping...heck, it's even cheaper than a matinee movie habit! LOL

L
Yeah, I used to go to movies once or twice a week with friends. They loved it, cause I'll always give people rides, and I get a military discount on all the tickets. I'm actually supposed to be going to a movie today. But now, I'm thinking about the movie, and how I'll likely spend 20 dollars for 2 or 3 hours of fun. (And then of course I'll feel like crap afterwards, side effect of popcorn and candy and really loud noises). And then I think of how many books I can get on my Kindle for 20 dollars... And I really would rather stay home and read a book.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts