Kindle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I had a quick question for everyone regarding blurbs. I use to believe that short, sharp blurbs were the best thing for promoting a book. Suck the reader in and leave them wanting more. I did this for my first two releases, but because my last romantic suspense novel had a fairly complex plot I did a long blurb for it. The book has done very well. I have a new release next month and I haven't even attempted the blurb yet, but I just wanted to pick your brains really. Do you prefer short teasing blurbs or blurbs that actually give a good and honest outline of what you are going to read? My one fear was a long blurb gave too much away. Any feedback would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
494 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the link. I asked this in a few places and many readers said the same thing as the blog. The middle length about two paragraphs seem to be the right size for a blurb. It is something I will keep in mind from now on.

·
Registered
982 Posts
RobynB said:
Congrats on the upcoming release! I just posted this in another thread but figure it can't hurt to post it here. Karen McQuestion has a good blog post on writing blurbs, and she addresses the length issue: http://mcquestionablemusings.blogspot.com/2011/01/my-method-for-writing-book-description.html

I think her advice makes sense -- there does seem to be a certain "length" that works.

Wishing you much success.
Thanks for posting that link in my thread as well. I've used it, and another user added onto what I was able to make using that.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I don't think length has anything to do with it. Rather, what does it tell me about the story, and more importantly, does it interest me?  It could be short or long, but it should pique the reader's curiosity, open it because of the blurb, and buy because of the first few pages.  I don't know how everyone else does it, but that's my methodology, so make the blurb as long as it needs to be to get the reader to open the book. Whether that is short or long is irrelevant, in my opinion.

·
Registered
12,245 Posts
As a reader I sorta expect blurbs to be proportionate to the length of the book. If it's a quick, to the point kind of read (like my novelette) I like a brief, tightly written description. If it's a full length novel with complex twists and subplots I want the blurb to be long enough to hit on the major plot points so I'll know what to expect.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Alex Sinclair said:
Hello everyone, I had a quick question for everyone regarding blurbs. I use to believe that short, sharp blurbs were the best thing for promoting a book. Suck the reader in and leave them wanting more. I did this for my first two releases, but because my last romantic suspense novel had a fairly complex plot I did a long blurb for it. The book has done very well. I have a new release next month and I haven't even attempted the blurb yet, but I just wanted to pick your brains really. Do you prefer short teasing blurbs or blurbs that actually give a good and honest outline of what you are going to read? My one fear was a long blurb gave too much away. Any feedback would be much appreciated.
The two best-selling books I manage for my mother (see .sig) have (a) her shortest blurb and (b) her longest blurb. Take from that what you will. ;)

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
lol, I have not returned to the forest of confusion... which way is out? lol. I was sure the middle ground was the best idea, but again different views pull you in different directions. I experimented by going on the free kindle top 100 and reading the blurbs of the top 20 books, I downloaded about 5 and tried to see what attracted me. Was is style? Was it wording? Was it the structure? They all seemed about two paragraphs and explained the concept and then teased you with the final line. The other blurbs were too short and I was like... that's it? Some were too long and sold the books and then in the last part put me off. In a way saying too much.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
I think for the average, casual book browser, a really long blurb will often be passed over. I think a well-written, short, snappy blurb is best, BUT that's as long as it tells the reader what the story is about, and not just a general sense of it. In other words, if it reads like more of a catchphrase or logline than an informative summary, you'll need a longer one.

I think most people read blurbs to find out if the story interests them. If it does, they'll probably download a sample to see if it's well-written and well edited. And if it is, you'll probably hear the sound of a cash register :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts